C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed my front license plate

Old 11-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Arthur Chandleer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removed my front license plate

I've done this before, and got a fix-it ticket. So I put on the front plate; but it kept annoying me to see that front plate, stuck on front and looking like a piece of food stuck to the front teeth.
So I took the plate off again, and resigned myself to fixit-reinstall-remove-fixitagain cycle.

Any suggestions? I'm resigned to suffering for aesthetics; but, short of relocating to a state that doesn't require a front plate: any ideas to lessen the pain and retain the beauty of the front view minus the license plate?
Old 11-23-2013, 08:22 PM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Any suggestions? I'm resigned to suffering for aesthetics; but, short of relocating to a state that doesn't require a front plate: any ideas to lessen the pain and retain the beauty of the front view minus the license plate?[/QUOTE]

What plate bracket are you running? There are vendors on the forum that sell a hand full of different styles. Do a google search for pictures on corvette plates to see the styles.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:52 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I have been running without a front plate on the C5 for two years now, and have not run a front plate on the C6 yet.

For the C6 I've been looking at this as a temporary plate holder for those times when I would think it would be more risky (like traveling through Maryland LOL) - no mods required according to the vendor. If anybody who has one please comment on your experience.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...e-49-99-a.html
Old 11-23-2013, 08:52 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 120 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

There a several forum vendors that offer "Show and Go" brackets some are manual some are remotely operated. And of course there is the bracket that Top Flight Reproductions offers. That is what I have. It is great.

Top Flight
Old 11-23-2013, 09:36 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I went over seven years without a front plate but I gave in and installed one. I made a bracket from parts I had and didn't have to drill any holes. My city is aggressively looking for new revenue and the front plate is one way of getting it. They normally don't stop you for no plate but I recently had my windows tinted and I don't want to run the risk of being stopped for one of them and having them throw in the other. They cruise parking lots and give tickets.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:52 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

When I park on a public street I stick my front plate in the lower part of the passenger side windshield with a small piece of tape to 'affix' it.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I hate the front license plate on my Vet, so I just keep it behind the seat and if I get pulled over, I just pay the ticket.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:18 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gering
I hate the front license plate on my Vet, so I just keep it behind the seat and if I get pulled over, I just pay the ticket.
How often has this happened to you? Curious.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Red Lightening
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the manual Show N Go its the best of both worlds for $50
Old 11-23-2013, 11:30 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

show and go with remote.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:36 PM
ZedNought6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got pulled over for this and was issued a warning. If they let me pay extra to avoid the plate I'd do it. So, I guess the tickets I may get in the future can be considered paying the no front plate toll. It isn't a moving violation in TX. So I guess my trigger point will be the second fine in a year...when and if I get it.

Florida was such a more car friendly state... No inspections or front plate. To bad ya can''t get any work there.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:36 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I finally got a ticket for it in Ohio. It forced me to put the plate on and I used the fold away bracket from Altec. It was the least expensive and least disruptive to airflow. Unfortunately the spring that keeps it up is on the weak side and I have to run a small bungee on it to stay up. It is also very low to the ground on the Grand Sport or ZO6. I have to say though it has held up well through some real good scrapes.

I thought California didn't have to run front plates.

Matt
Old 11-23-2013, 11:47 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I've heard Show n Go is shoddy quality. Is this true?
Old 11-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vara411
How often has this happened to you? Curious.
I only received a ticket for "No Front Plate", one time and it was when I was driving through a very small town and passed a State Trooper. Other than that I have received a few warnings.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZedNought6
Just got pulled over for this and was issued a warning. If they let me pay extra to avoid the plate I'd do it. So, I guess the tickets I may get in the future can be considered paying the no front plate toll. It isn't a moving violation in TX. So I guess my trigger point will be the second fine in a year...when and if I get it.

Florida was such a more car friendly state... No inspections or front plate. To bad ya can''t get any work there.

My thought exactly.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:24 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
I have been running without a front plate on the C5 for two years now, and have not run a front plate on the C6 yet.

For the C6 I've been looking at this as a temporary plate holder for those times when I would think it would be more risky (like traveling through Maryland LOL) - no mods required according to the vendor. If anybody who has one please comment on your experience.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...e-49-99-a.html
Man, I dunno -- just held on by suction cups? A little too 'temporary' for me.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:28 AM
DJSpeece
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Top Flight product which I installed after buying it three years ago. Over the summer I was stopped twice in a month by two State Troopers -- one in my hometown, and one as I was travelling I-70 on the way home. Both were extremely polite and respectful, and both had a Navy connection (I have a retired USN frame around my plate "UNDRWAY.") Each of them issued me a warning, and did not even tell me to install the front plate, only that there were LEOs who would. On the second stop I was asked if I had ever been warned about the missing front plate, and if I knew the fine, and I think my honesty helped avoid a ticket. The Vette really looks better without the front plate, but I was tired of worrying about the possibility of being pulled over when I might not have the time to tarry. I really don't think about it too much any more.
Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Removed my front license plate

Old 11-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You're a rebel....a scofflaw!
Old 11-24-2013, 11:42 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by quickcat
I finally got a ticket for it in Ohio. It forced me to put the plate on and I used the fold away bracket from Altec. It was the least expensive and least disruptive to airflow. Unfortunately the spring that keeps it up is on the weak side and I have to run a small bungee on it to stay up. It is also very low to the ground on the Grand Sport or ZO6. I have to say though it has held up well through some real good scrapes.

I thought California didn't have to run front plates.

Matt
We do have the law and tickets are given often. In Los Angeles there are police patrols at LA International airport that do nothing but issue no front plate and registration tickets. My neighbor is a San Clemente volunteer sheriff. One of his jobs it to write off fixit tickets at the sheriffs station. Another job is to cruise parking lots. The big ticket is parking in a handicap space. $381.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer
Man, I dunno -- just held on by suction cups? A little too 'temporary' for me.
I don't beleive that would stay on very long..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removed my front license plate