C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Convertible Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 03:25 PM
dannydbloody
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Convertible Pricing

I'm looking at getting into a convertible vette and wanted to get some advice on pricing. I know KBB and NADA have their prices. But how much below that is a good price/fair price. One I'm looking at right now is 06 base for 28.9k with 80k miles on her. I would be willing to get something up to 50k if there's a suggestion on the best year/build for a vert.

Thanks, DB
Old 11-22-2013, 03:33 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

A guy on here is selling his 06 Vert and asking 29.5k but he may be willing to deal. It has like 40k on it. Here is his thread.

I get a kickback if you buy it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...r-my-06-a.html
Old 11-22-2013, 03:45 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I use Edmunds.com when buying and selling. Their values seem to be far more accurate, current and realistic then KBB which is autotrader or NADA.

I have bought and sold around 20 vette converts over the years and price the ones I'm selling at Edmunds private party and base my starting offer at Edmunds trade in value.

As far as year it really makes little difference with a convert as they are normally bought for street cruising and not for tracking. If there would be one year I would personally avoid it would be a 2005 because it was a first year car and had some problems but mostly for the stronger driveline that appeared in 2006 along with the 6 speed automatic instead of the old C5 4 speed automatic and drivetrain.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:45 PM
dannydbloody
Intermediate

Thats on the opposite side of the country...so working in shipping I probably won't get much of a deal out of it. I'm in VA, so would be looking for something at least only a state or two away.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:50 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dannydbloody
Thats on the opposite side of the country...so working in shipping I probably won't get much of a deal out of it. I'm in VA, so would be looking for something at least only a state or two away.
I have found the best place for me to find them is on the surrounding cities craigslist ads and all the pristine low mile original owner vette converts I have bought in the last few years came from my local craigslist ads. You have to be vigilant in checking the ads because the nice converts at good prices sell very quickly.

I prefer to meet the original owner and talk with him and check the car over myself before making any offer.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:54 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

One way ticket for a $350 and drive her back. Great experience.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:00 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
One way ticket for a $350 and drive her back. Great experience.
The problem with buying a California car and taking delivery inside of the state is you will have to pay sales tax to California to get the title. If you take delivery outside of the state you do not have to pay the tax.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:05 PM
dannydbloody
Intermediate

Just moved from WA state to VA, so I'm pretty tired of long drives for now. Looking at loan rates and stuff it may be better to try to get into a "new" 12 or 13 with <7500 miles. Although I haven't checked around too much on that. Almost got into a 13 zl1 vert the other day, just wasn't going to work with how little they wanted to give for my 11 2SS coupe. Hopefully I'm in the right season to buy a vert;-)
Old 11-22-2013, 04:27 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RJRSW
The problem with buying a California car and taking delivery inside of the state is you will have to pay sales tax to California to get the title. If you take delivery outside of the state you do not have to pay the tax.
When you say taking delivery you mean he cant leave the state with the car having his plate on it without paying tax on it in California?

Explain to me how shipping the car makes you not have to pay it but driving it out of the state does.

I have heard of people having their bank do a transaction to another bank as payment. The title is then signed off and sent to the new owner or lien holder. The new owner then registers the car and gets a plate and insurance card; they then jump on a plane with all documention for the car, get off the plane in California, put plate on the car and put stuff in the glove box and drive home.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:48 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
When you say taking delivery you mean he cant leave the state with the car having his plate on it without paying tax on it in California?
If the purchase transaction takes place in another state you do not have to pay the tax but if you go to California to view the car first and then decide to buy and complete the purchase there and drive it out even from a private party you owe California the tax.

I checked into a car that was in LA but found that out and decided the whole deal was not worth the bother to avoid the tax and just bought one here in Arizona. In Arizona there is no sales tax on vehicle transactions between private parties, only if you buy from a dealer.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:00 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

In MA I hear of folks trading in C6's in great shape (babied) with 50k and under miles and being offered around $25K to $30K now that the C7's are out. I would think Mike Furman at Criswell Chev in Maryland would have some good trade-ins. Only dealt with him once--all over the phone and he was GREAT. Deal fell through from my end, not his. He will be my 1st call when I go for the C7 ZO7.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:22 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow427
In MA I hear of folks trading in C6's in great shape (babied) with 50k and under miles and being offered around $25K to $30K now that the C7's are out. I would think Mike Furman at Criswell Chev in Maryland would have some good trade-ins. Only dealt with him once--all over the phone and he was GREAT. Deal fell through from my end, not his. He will be my 1st call when I go for the C7 ZO7.
I just did a quick check at MacMulkin in NH and Corvette Mike of NE in Plymouth, MA-----three 06's with 20K or under for mid to lo $30's; I saw a few cars with 15K and under 10K going for hi 30's to lo 40's............if you can go to $50K you can find something "almost" new by comparison versus 80,000 miles.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:23 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 06 has got 9,000. Wonder if its worth much. Kinda getting the itch to get
rid of it. That C7 is making it look older every day. Priced a new vert $75,430.
The old C6 isn't going to make much of a dent in that price
Old 11-22-2013, 05:29 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

How would the state know where the deal was made? You could hand the guy a check, but you could also mail it to him. And a wire transfer from your bank would look the same either way.

I just bought my C6 from Wisconsin and had it shipped to California, and when I registered it here there was no mention whatsoever about where the deal was made. I paid nothing to Wisconsin. But even if I had gone to WI to buy the car, the financial part of the deal would have been the same, so I don't see how the state would know.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:31 PM
darrins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 06 3lt vert.

i bought a '06 3LT Vert with 8k miles in May in NJ from a dealer for 31k. Machine Silver, grey top, titanium leather. The car was absolutely perfect and even had a corsa exhaust and CAI. Other than that, totally stock. You could eat off the engine. Look around there are deals to behad. Dont rush. Took me about 8 months to find the right car.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:06 PM
JShocik
Intermediate

Just bought my '06 convertible, paid $25.4K w/44500 mi. on it. Found it on eBay. By mere coincidence, I had looked at this very same car back in March. It was in storage at the time & the guy wanted $32K for it then. He didn't want to store it again, so he cut the price. Now's the time to look, some guys don't want to store them just to sell them in the spring. There is another thread on this discussion forum about a guy wondering if he's asking too much for his '06 convt. if that helps.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:13 PM
JShocik
Intermediate

The link for the guy wondering if he's asking too much for his '06 is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251385326365...84.m1586.l2649
Check it out & talk to him about the price...

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Convertible Pricing

Old 11-22-2013, 06:59 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vertigogo
I just bought my C6 from Wisconsin and had it shipped to California, and when I registered it here there was no mention whatsoever about where the deal was made. I paid nothing to Wisconsin. But even if I had gone to WI to buy the car, the financial part of the deal would have been the same, so I don't see how the state would know.
I do not know how Wisconsin handles tax on vehicles sold there. I just know from checking with California if the car is delivered and the title is transferred to the new buyer there they will collect sales tax. If they question where delivery occurred in order to avoid the tax you must provide proof such as transportation receipt proving it was delivered to you outside the state.

You stated that you paid nothing to Wisconsin but what did you have to pay to California to register the car there with a California title? I was told that in California that all cars sold within the State no matter if private party or dealer that they will collect tax on the sale price.

If you now resell the car that you bought will the new buyer have to pay sales tax in order to transfer the title?
Old 11-22-2013, 07:02 PM
One Kick
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't you also get the California emissions which are more restrictive than other states?
Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 PM
dannydbloody
Intermediate

Lots of good stuff. Not in a hurry so I'll keep an eye out for any great deals.

Quick Reply: C6 Convertible Pricing