C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too soon for a vette in my life stage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Torchblue
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my first vette art 34 with 2 small daughters. My wife & I each had daily drivers in addition to the vette. It is now 34 years later and 6 vettes later and I never looked back or felt sorry for my choices.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 PM
swoopjr
Instructor

I have 3 kids, 14, 7 and 5. We use the wife's car for the family most of the time but we make it work. My kids love to ride in mine.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:17 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sshu
Thanks for the posts. I'll give a little more info. Cost of the car is not a factor and will not affect my lifestyle. It feels almost a little wasteful having a brand new full warranty car sitting in the garage collecting dust 90% of the time while I can pick up a 4 seater(CTS-V, M3, C63, etc) and drive it everyday. Getting a vette is not fulfilling a dream but I can appreciate the car for all that it is. I can get or keep my current 4 seater now and then enjoy the vette on a daily basis in 4 years. I never owned a coupe(2 or 4 seater) before because I was always thought too practically. In hindsight I wish I got a coupe before kids because that would have easily worked. Hindsight vision is always 20/20, haha.
The guilt free approach is to buy a good used C6; lower cost, less depreciation, a blast to drive and less regret about it sitting parked for a week.
At least with your weather you can use it all year. Half of us store it for 4-6 months.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

As long as it isn't financially compromising your family....there is no reason why you can't have a Vette. You want one...get one.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Eric_G
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are asking the question, you are actually questioning more than just the car. You are worried about appearances to others. Stop for a minute and determine what is important in your life and how you choose to live it. If you are more concerned about what others would think, than its not about the car...its about you.

No one ever said on their death bed...I wished people had thought better of me, instead its about the things they never did because of others.

Learn to love yourself and your own values and decisions. If you want the car buy the car, but do it for you!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 AM
EVILFACE
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Why wait till you are a old geezer to enjoy what the 'Vette can do. Get the car you want as soon as you can.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:25 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Get one now, you will be happy you did/
Old 11-20-2013, 09:26 AM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by LFZ
As long as it isn't financially compromising your family....there is no reason why you can't have a Vette. You want one...get one.
get it and enjoy !!!!! and not sure if its a fact, but friend of mine who just recently had a baby, says there is a baby seat specifically made for vettes , just a thought
Old 11-20-2013, 11:10 AM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do what your father did. He taught you family responsibility, good or bad.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:30 PM
noz34me
Pro

Originally Posted by dvilin
English anyone.......
Literacy is NOT a prerequisite for owning a Vette- - -evidently.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:25 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

I always drove F-bodies, primarily Trans Ams, while the kids were young. Much more practical, very close in performance for considerably less money. Also drove them before the kids were born, so the cars I always liked best. Bought my first Vette in '06, latest this year. Very happy with the choice. But do what you want to do. Life is short so you may as well enjoy it.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Are you trading in the M5 for it? Vette of course would only be able to carry one passenger at a time and doors are longer. The pros of the Vette are that it is a lot cheaper to maintain/insure, doesn't look like a sedan and is probably more efficient. M5 is sweet car but most people cannot tell it from another BMW. With the C6 it doesn't look like any other car in the same model year, C7 not as much.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:14 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by sean.b
no kids, but bought mine when i was 27 or 28. you should know if it's right or not, dont seek validation from us. car is so fun that im torn between missing my wife, dog, or driving more when im on the road
I am 63 and have so much fun driving mine, I cant imagine how much more fun it would be if I had the Testosterone of one of you 20-something drivers.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:33 PM
JohnAE455
Racer

Does not sound like you are all that excited about having a vette so why buy one? From your write-up the car will only sit in your garage, so again, why buy one?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:13 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought mine this year at age 34, I'm married with 2 kids 5 and 8 years old...if you can afford it financially then go for it man! You are not guaranteed to be here tomorrow, never mind years from now....life is too short, enjoy it when it gives you the opportunity to do so.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by sshu
I'm in my mid 30's now with 2 kids(1.5 yr and 4.5 yr old). I take at least one of my kids to school 4 times a week. If I got a vette it would be driven one weekday a week and on occasion during the weekends. In about 4 years my youngest will be in elementary and I won't need to take the kids to school anymore and I could drive the vette everyday to work.

I currently drive a E39 M5(bmw sedan) so I at least have a performance car to drive around but I really like the C7. I also have a Tundra truck so if I got the vette, my truck would be my daily.

Too soon for a vette because it won't be driven much? In 4 years, there are no restrictions on what I can get.
I have never understood that rationale. The Vette has a passenger seat so you can take one of your kids to school any day of the school week. When you do you will see them sitting up straighter so all of their friends can see them arrive in the Vette. I get waves and thumbs up from all the kids at the local school bus stops every time I drive by. If you need to take more than one kid use the BMW. Dump the Tundra and use the Vette as your daily driver.

I had 3 kids and purchased my first Vette when the oldest was 5 years old and the youngest hadn't been born yet. Drove it to work every day in rain, snow, etc. Gave the kids rides, took them to school, took them to after school activities, took them to ball games, etc. The Vette is a car and should be used as a car. One advantage is it is a fantastic performance car that can beat just about anything produced by any other company. There is no need to make it a garage queen since you lose all the fun of owning one. As one forum member once said, Not putting miles on your Vette is like not having sex with your wife since you are saving her for her next husband.

Bill

Bill

Quick Reply: Too soon for a vette in my life stage?