C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non z51? come inside

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:42 PM
jadedbird
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non z51? come inside

so i have been in the market for a c6 for some time, just looking for the right deal.
i am just wondering how the non z51 c6 coupe feel like or if there is a significant difference.
im debating on grabbing the Engineering Johnny O'Connell Signature Suspension Kit Stage 1 when i get one.

im just wondering if it should be a deciding factor?

any thoughts?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:46 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Why you gotta be hat'in dawg?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Not sure if he's hating... just weighing his options.

As for my answer to your question, I almost bought my friend's Z51-equipped C6. Then I test-drove one and couldn't stand the jittery ride on my hometown's rough roads. It was the best thing that could have happened to me though, because then I stumbled upon the best possible combination for me right here on "For Sale" section of the forums: the F55 magnetic ride suspension AND aftermarket Z51 sway bars.

The result: the car corners as if on rails in "Sport" Mode, is controlled over bumpy surfaces (especially during hard lateral cornering), and yet I can tune the suspension to be more comfortable ("Touring") when I'm just driving around.

The only problem with this is you won't find very many F55-equipped rides out there... but they're out there!

... I take it by your search for aftermarket shocks that this probably isn't what you were looking for, but it's something to consider, especially if you plan to hold on to your C6 for a long time. Best of luck.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,482 Likes on 2,819 Posts

Z51 adds a few other nice upgrades besides just the suspension tweaks. Better brakes, better cooling, more aggressive gearing are all part of the 51 package as well.

Personally, I feel like z51 is a "must have" option, and IMO should be standard, with the F55 being the only suspension option.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

IMHO the F55 is the best suspension option for street use.

Adding Z51 sway bars with rubber bushings improves body control without making the ride too harsh.

For track use, go with PFADT or other coil-over/sway bar options.

.$02.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Baxter's Dad
Advanced

It depends what you want to do with it. Mine is a daily driver over all types of roads and weather. I love the F55 MRC for my purposes.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:10 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Baxter's Dad
It depends what you want to do with it. Mine is a daily driver over all types of roads and weather. I love the F55 MRC for my purposes.
Oh yes... I'd forgotten to say this. If you plan on tracking the car, then Z51 is the way to go: it's more tightly tuned, has bigger brakes, and grippier tires. Otherwise, I personally don't see any real-world advantages to having it for street-only use. As I said before, the ride is more stiffly sprung, which MAY wear on you over time. Additionally, the tires on the Z51 are a softer compound which makes for better grip, but also faster wear. Just something to think about.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The Z51 option has some nice features to be sure but IMO it's not a be-all end-all. In fact, there are some things about the Z51 option I don't particularly like. The Z51 option was designed with the parking lot autocross enthusiast in-mind. The wider ratio gearing (not unlike a granny gear in the truck) gives it a slight advantage in short sprints. That said I prefer the closer ratio gearbox of the non-Z51 (same as the Z06) compared to the wider ratio Z51 gearing. The closer ratio gearbox means you can keep the engine closer to its power peak in all out road racing. It's not a huge difference but there is a difference.

I'm also not a fan of the cross-drilled rotors found on the Z51 option. As Dave Hill (the 'Godfather' of the C6) said, the cross-drilled rotors were used with the Z51 option to give the car a "racier appearance." To be fair, they're OK for 'normal' street use but under hard use they're prone to cracking. Road racers prefer solid/slotted rotors.

The additional fluid cooling of the Z51 is a nice feature but FWIW I road race my car in Arizona where it's often warm...OK it's often hot. The additional coolers would help but I've never over-heated anything. Notwithstanding the car could have the F55 suspension (which IMO is the best all-around suspension offered by Corvette), I'd find the more stiffly sprung suspension of the Z51 option a plus (others may not however). For me there are pros and cons to both the Z51 option and the 'base' C6. The Z51 option has some good features but it wasn't a must have for me. Ultimately, you can always modify or improve the car to set it up the way you want....for the way you use the car.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:30 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

We ordered the base coupe and what I did was put on Z06 sways and Koni FSD shocks and we got a very nice street combo. Oh I run Z size tires and have pulled 1g on some hill country runs
Old 11-19-2013, 10:09 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Z51 adds a few other nice upgrades besides just the suspension tweaks. Better brakes, better cooling, more aggressive gearing are all part of the 51 package as well.

Personally, I feel like z51 is a "must have" option, and IMO should be standard, with the F55 being the only suspension option.
I feel the exact opposite, definitely not a must have.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:23 AM
jadedbird
Advanced

alot of nice info here. thanks to everyone who responded. i havent really noticed many f55 cars in my price range, but that does seem to be the msot appealing to me.

ive looked into z06 suspension upgrades and they seem to be very reasonable in price (and obviously very streetable)

as for plans with the car... it will be a DD except for winter. i do plan on making some trips to the track (both drag strip and the course)

Ive drove a trans am ws6 as a dd for basically my whole life, so ride comfort isnt too high on the priorities list. (if i wanted great ride comfort id look into a CTS-V)

My bro in law has a z51 and it rides 10x better than my ws6
Old 11-20-2013, 01:36 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
can you translate that into english for me?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:28 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lot of good points on Base and Z51 package. They both accomplish what they are designed for.

The Base MM6 gearbox does have a higher torque rating than the Z51 MZ6 gearbox.

In addition to the close ratio gearing of the Base MM6 TR6060, it is validated to 500 lb-ft of torque.

The wide ratio Z51 MZ6 TR6060 is validated to 428 lb-ft of torque.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/spec...l#.UoxqNcQ_uI9

Last edited by Rebel 1; 11-21-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:16 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by jadedbird
so i have been in the market for a c6 for some time, just looking for the right deal.
i am just wondering how the non z51 c6 coupe feel like or if there is a significant difference.
im debating on grabbing the Engineering Johnny O'Connell Signature Suspension Kit Stage 1 when i get one.

im just wondering if it should be a deciding factor?

any thoughts?
for me I did not see any difference in price between the two. I bought a Z51 and the ride is a little stiff however I thought it would much easier and cheaper to downsize the car than to try and build it up. Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
can you translate that into english for me?
I think it's something about what hat to wear...

To me, if you are considering the Johnny O suspension system, then it really doesn't matter at all whether you have Z51 or not. The JOC will make such a difference that you would never know whether you started with Z51 or not. Also, I agree with Wayne about the transmission, if you are thinking a stick. I like the ratios of the base/Z06 better than the Z51 transmission. Also, you'll never see a drilled brake rotor on a real race car.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Keith Tedford
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Our 2005 is a base 1SB car. We will never be to the track and the standard suspension works fine for us and we won't be replace $1K shocks either. Of course, I have never driven one of these cars with the upgraded suspension so I might just like it. If a person is going to get real serious about tracking the car, then they would want an all out track suspension. You can never have enough braking power but we don't live in a metropolitan area with tons of traffic so that isn't so much of an issue. Ours stops and handles far better than the old Chevelles that I always drove, so of course it feels great. Having the Z51 might make the car more salable when moving on or up.
I noticed that drilled rotor thing too. I've heard that it just leads to cracking.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:37 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

alot of nice info here. thanks to everyone who responded. i havent really noticed many f55 cars in my price range, but that does seem to be the msot appealing to me.

ive looked into z06 suspension upgrades and they seem to be very reasonable in price (and obviously very streetable)

as for plans with the car... it will be a DD except for winter. i do plan on making some trips to the track (both drag strip and the course)

Ive drove a trans am ws6 as a dd for basically my whole life, so ride comfort isnt too high on the priorities list. (if i wanted great ride comfort id look into a CTS-V)

My bro in law has a z51 and it rides 10x better than my ws6
For a primary DD and occasional track/drag car, the F55 is easily the superior suspension. As far as ride, it's overall more comfortable than our Caddy STS on road trips and fairly close around town. You need to drive one before you buy anything to see if it works for you.

Something to keep in mind, since you mentioned the Z06 suspension, is the extra stiffness of the springs, shocks, and sways will require large tires, wheels, and a widebody kit. (probably paint too)

Get notified of new replies

To Non z51? come inside

Old 11-21-2013, 10:44 AM
jadedbird
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Something to keep in mind, since you mentioned the Z06 suspension, is the extra stiffness of the springs, shocks, and sways will require large tires, wheels, and a widebody kit. (probably paint too)
wait, how does suspension work lead to a widebody kit?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

wait, how does suspension work lead to a widebody kit?
You'll need wider tire/wheels for control with the Z06 suspension and they'll rub and/or crack the fenders on a narrow body car. Unless you get takeoffs of the same color, they'll need paint too.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:00 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

IMO the main benefit of z51 is the more aggressive gearing for better acceleration

The suspension and oil cooler can be added later for about a grand in new parts.

Research research research (it will save you time and money)!
Many people here have gone and bought z51 suspension (or other mods) only to upgrade to aftermarket stuff later...

Quick Reply: Non z51? come inside