C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just another Grand Sport GY run crap thread!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Stockcar Axeman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just another Grand Sport GY run crap thread!

Well like many other GS owners my tires wore out @ 10k and I wasn't surprised by this. I have seen a few threads from other forum members about how GY pro-rated a discount on a new set for them so I thought what the heck I give it a try. So I called GY and at first they offered my a $25 discount on each tire and I told them about others getting a better deal and asked them if they could do better and stated my history as I have bought many GY tires since the 80s for my street cars and race car (dozens just on my late model stock alone). Anyway she came back with a better deal and I was shocked when she said $77 for the front and $84 for the rears. Total out the door at Discount Tire with mounting and balancing was $461 for a set brand new supercar tires all the way around. The run crap tires suck but they sure tried to make it right. Now when these wear out next spring I will replace with the Michelin PSS but for this price I couldn't pass them up. Discount Tire was a great help (as always) as they made a couple of calls also but GY cutomer service was A+. My vette won't be getting them again but I will still buy GY tires for my IROC as I have been very happy with them (non-RF). So if any of you are in the same boat with GY tires wearing out so fast give them a call and see how much they will help you. Thanks to all the others who posted their experiences that enlightened me and helped me save some $$$ for now. Hope this info helps someone else as others did for me! This forum sure be a big help at times!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:39 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

IMO...after 2000 miles, every Z and GS owner with GY SCs should pull that junk off, burn them...buy some Michelin PSS or PS2s and enjoy traction, safety, and overall better ride.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:46 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

There is no amount of money in the world that would entice me to put that crap back on my GS.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
There is no amount of money in the world that would entice me to put that crap back on my GS.
Same here, the lack of consistancy for traction almost wrecked me many times, I'm so glad I went with the Bridgestone Potenzas when I did. Over 20k miles later, they are still gripping well in all weather conditions I experience in my area.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Stockcar,

Have you been driving your car pretty hard? I've got about 13k on mine plus 6 track days at the Ridge. Last time I was at the ridge I was turning 1.03g's on the Supercars in a few of the turns (sustained, not a bump), and not using the entire tire, ie, there is more wear on the outside of the tire than on the inside. I think the main problem people have with these tires is not getting them up to temp.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:03 AM
Stockcar Axeman
Pro

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Stockcar,

Have you been driving your car pretty hard? I've got about 13k on mine plus 6 track days at the Ridge. Last time I was at the ridge I was turning 1.03g's on the Supercars in a few of the turns (sustained, not a bump), and not using the entire tire, ie, there is more wear on the outside of the tire than on the inside. I think the main problem people have with these tires is not getting them up to temp.
Mike, I only drive it on the street and I haven't pushed it that hard yet. I've seen the g-loads over 1 but only on the street. I like running through the corners hard but nothing to over the top. I hear you about getting the temps up before running the GY hard. They grip good when hot but this car hasn't seen a track yet. Got it in March and spent the spring and summer dealing with my kids race cars (4 Quarter midgets) so I haven't been able to go play. I want to get down to the Ridge and play next season so we'll try to make that happen. Maybe see you down there.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:05 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good for you! It never hurts to ask!

My '09 Coupe has the original GY run flats and i like em.

Michelin is still my favorite.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:56 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Hey Stockcar, I hope to see you at the Ridge!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:03 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I have 9K on mine and the fronts are almost gone but the rears are fine,I want to go with Mich on mine when the rears are gone.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:45 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel 1

My '09 Coupe has the original GY run flats and i like em.

Your coupe does not have the same tires, nor size tires, as the GS/Z06.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Fixed. Better Joe?

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Your coupe does not have the same tires, nor size tires, as the GS/Z06.
I know all that. Thanks.

Posted for the OP and expressing an opinion like you just did.

Last edited by Rebel 1; 11-17-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:48 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Better?

Michelins vs Goodyear, there is no comparison besides they are both round. That is probably why Chevy finally dumped Goodyear for Michelin.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Michelins vs Goodyear, there is no comparison besides they are both round. That is probably why Chevy finally dumped Goodyear for Michelin.
Yep.
My hard earned $$$ always goes to Michelin.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:59 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Good info, thanks.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:33 PM
SenseiDave
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

11k on mine and they are showing wear. I have not tracked or driven hard. Shopping for PSS after all I've read here.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:51 PM
navyvetteran
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Has any one who had their GS aligned for street use, and if so did it increase mileage. I had mine done at 1000 miles, have 5000 miles now, waiting to see what happens.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by navyvetteran
Has any one who had their GS aligned for street use, and if so did it increase mileage. I had mine done at 1000 miles, have 5000 miles now, waiting to see what happens.
I got over 14k out of my original Goodyear GEN2's, and that included a lot of spirited and some track driving. I DID get the "street alignment" at about 300 miles, and it did not change settings when I replaced the tires with Bridgestones RFs. They held great IF you got them hot, but it was just too scary for me to have 0 traction at high 60 degrees, if they were driven less than 10 miles or so. For the track, or if you were sure they were up to temps, they held as well as any tire. I drove at Spring Mountain driving school with Michelins, and for the track, the GY GEN2's were just as good in my opinion.

Remember, I'm talking GEN2's and I'm also talking the GS/Z06 larger sizes. That's all that I've daily driven, in just about all street conditions, and some track conditions (as a "spirited" novice track level experience, meaning will willing to hang it out there to the 1G cornering consistantly, and control the drift).

I now have about 24k on the Bridgestones, and even on the cooler high 40 degree days, they grip very well on wet and dry roads, even when cold. I measure "coolness" by when the tire pressure has not increased. Usually my tires will go up a couple pounds this time of year after driving 10 or so miles, and the Goodyears had to be at the higher tire pressure to start to grip.

Another key to longer tire life is to be VERY "smooth" (for lack of a better word) when driving the curves, that is something they heavily emphasize at the driving school, and it pays off big time on street driving too. I probably saved enough in street tire wear to pay for the driving school cost, just from sharpening my "smoothness" when driving on the street. It's amazing how much faster you can take an exit ramp, if you drive it the correct way. And, your tires will last a lot longer too.

Get notified of new replies

To Just another Grand Sport GY run crap thread!

Old 04-04-2014, 05:00 AM
Stockcar Axeman
Pro

Here is an update to this thread that I started last fall. Well spring is here and my 2nd set of GY tires have gone almost bald with only 5K on them and no I don't beat my car and this car hasn't had a track day... yet. So my Gen 1 GY (stock GS tires) lasted 10k and the Gen 2 GY warranty replacements lasted half of that. I would have thought a 2nd generation would have gotten better, not worst. Anyway I just went with a set of Michelin PSS 1 size up from stock and the car handles much better. They seem to cut a little quicker and are much smoother than the stock GY tires. Also being a little taller they helped fill up the wheel well without dropping the car any lower. The front is now at a perect level and I will be dropping the rear about .5" and she will be ready for the aligment. I replaced the GY RF on my 07 C6 with Michelin A/S so I knew it would be much better and now the GS has the PSS so I should be good for awhile. Summers coming, get them vettes on the road!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
I got a second set for free from the dealer. I didn't turn that down!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Stockcar Axeman
.......almost bald with only 5K on them and no I don't beat my car and this car hasn't had a track day...........
Only 5K out of G2's and your not beating on them? Yeah right! If they were "Trofeo's" I might believe that.

Last edited by Speedforhire; 04-04-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just another Grand Sport GY run crap thread!