C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked out

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:03 PM
PUREVOL
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Locked out

Today I pulled a dummy move. Removed my battery from my C6. I closed the hood of the car & the doors. Lucky the window was down enough for me to stick a hanger in & pull the manual lever to open the door. Just wondering if the window was up how would I have gotten into the car??
Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

You would use your fob, remove the key from the fob, use the key to open the hatch (there is a key hole near the lights for the license plate), you would then use the pull lever over the driver's side wheel well to open the driver's side door. It is a good idea to ensure that your key actually opens the hatch.

Alternatively, you could call Onstar assuming your car has power and assuming you pay for the service.

Worst case scenario, and this just occurred to me, you could connect and disconnect your battery repeatedly. Each time you do this the window should index down just a little bit. You would do this until you can reach in and manually open the door with the lever next to the seat.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Or break a window...
Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 AM
PUREVOL
Advanced

Originally Posted by kedar
You would use your fob, remove the key from the fob, use the key to open the hatch (there is a key hole near the lights for the license plate), you would then use the pull lever over the driver's side wheel well to open the driver's side door. It is a good idea to ensure that your key actually opens the hatch.

Alternatively, you could call Onstar assuming your car has power and assuming you pay for the service.

Worst case scenario, and this just occurred to me, you could connect and disconnect your battery repeatedly. Each time you do this the window should index down just a little bit. You would do this until you can reach in and manually open the door with the lever next to the seat.
Thnx. I feel stupid as hell. I had the car 3yrs & still learning something new.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

Originally Posted by kedar

If the hood is closed, you can't access the battery. The key seems to be the only solution.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default starter

Originally Posted by PUREVOL
Today I pulled a dummy move. Removed my battery from my C6. I closed the hood of the car & the doors. Lucky the window was down enough for me to stick a hanger in & pull the manual lever to open the door. Just wondering if the window was up how would I have gotten into the car??
if you have no key
hook your battery charger to the starter cables and use your fob

Last edited by irok; 11-07-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by irok
hook your battery charger to the starter cables and use your fob
If the battery is merely dead, you can connect to the starter cable under the car and a ground, just like you said.

But if the battery has been removed, like OP said, then I don't think this will work; the other end of the starter cable is not connected to anything.

Correct? Or not?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

In the scenario described by the OP, the only way back in is with the key. Open the trunk, pull the door release cable.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
VetteNGT500
Racer

and then, get a beer, and sit down, and read your owners manual... DOH!!! lol
Old 11-07-2013, 12:32 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
In the scenario described by the OP, the only way back in is with the key. Open the trunk, pull the door release cable.

That's why I carry a key in my wallet...just in case

MT
Old 11-07-2013, 02:01 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MTsVette

That's why I carry a key in my wallet...just in case

MT

Elmer
Old 11-07-2013, 03:28 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
If the battery is merely dead, you can connect to the starter cable under the car and a ground, just like you said.

But if the battery has been removed, like OP said, then I don't think this will work; the other end of the starter cable is not connected to anything.

Correct? Or not?
I would say that it still might work. Frame is ground so that's covered whether the battery is connected or not. Connecting the charger's positive cable to the positive lug on the starter (where the battery positive cable ends up) should electrically be the same connection.

My fear would be that with no battery, the battery cables may both be touching a ground and essentially shorting the entire system.

Also, the battery acts as a capacitor which smooths pulsating DC from the alternator or, and I am guessing here, a battery charger. Unless one is sure the charger puts out pure DC then connecting it to my expensive car electronics may not be the best idea.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:07 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good for people to know about that key and release in truck.

I quit driving my c6 outside of town because of an intermittent
problem with the ez access. It will not unlock the car sometimes.
Its done it 3 times at the dealership. They have no clue what is
wrong. It does not receive the FOB signal. Just never
felt wanted to get far from home and have to deal with it.

You just kinda wait it out. eventually it will start to work.
Buttons of FOB do not work either. Both FOB's

Thought one time the service advisor was going to just break
the window. Was holding up other cars coming in. ? if some
don't know about the FOB key.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:48 AM
irok
Safety Car

Default try it

Correct? Or not?
Jim disconnect your battery cables and hook your battery charger to battery cables.what happens when you try opening door with fob?it wont matter where along the battery cables you hook them.you have energized the system.you dont need the battery

Last edited by irok; 11-08-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by unixcorn
I would say that it still might work. Frame is ground so that's covered whether the battery is connected or not. Connecting the charger's positive cable to the positive lug on the starter (where the battery positive cable ends up) should electrically be the same connection.

My fear would be that with no battery, the battery cables may both be touching a ground and essentially shorting the entire system.

Also, the battery acts as a capacitor which smooths pulsating DC from the alternator or, and I am guessing here, a battery charger. Unless one is sure the charger puts out pure DC then connecting it to my expensive car electronics may not be the best idea.
Originally Posted by irok
Jim disconnect your battery cables and hook your battery charger to battery cables.what happens when you try opening door with fob?it wont matter where along the battery cables you hook them.you have energized the system.you dont need the battery
Trying to visualize the system in my tiny head, I'm thinking that the cable on the starter goes up to the positive post on the battery. If the battery has been removed like OP said, then the upper end of the starter cable is just hanging in air and can't supply power to anything.

However, the positive cable is actually TWO cables ganged together up by the battery. As discussed, one cable goes down to the starter. The other one ganged with it goes somewhere, but I never traced it out and so I don't know if it supplies power to something that might let you unlock the doors when the car is otherwise dead. Anyone know what's happening with that?
Old 11-08-2013, 04:43 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Doesn't it go to the alternator on the 2nd wire?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
good for people to know about that key and release in truck.

I quit driving my c6 outside of town because of an intermittent
problem with the ez access. It will not unlock the car sometimes.
Its done it 3 times at the dealership. They have no clue what is
wrong. It does not receive the FOB signal. Just never
felt wanted to get far from home and have to deal with it.

You just kinda wait it out. eventually it will start to work.
Buttons of FOB do not work either. Both FOB's

Thought one time the service advisor was going to just break
the window. Was holding up other cars coming in. ? if some
don't know about the FOB key.
change batteries in your FOB yet?

Get notified of new replies

To Locked out

Old 11-08-2013, 09:30 PM
irok
Safety Car

Trying to visualize the system in my tiny head, I'm thinking that the cable on the starter goes up to the positive post on the battery. If the battery has been removed like OP said, then the upper end of the starter cable is just hanging in air and can't supply power to anything.

However, the positive cable is actually TWO cables ganged together up by the battery. As discussed, one cable goes down to the starter. The other one ganged with it goes somewhere, but I never traced it out and so I don't know if it supplies power to something that might let you unlock the doors when the car is otherwise dead. Anyone know what's happening with that?
Jim it dosent matter what wire goes where when you put power to the system even with no battery in the car the battery charger is doing the same job as the battery now.the battery charger will now supply power to everything the battery did.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Dan-
What I'm trying to say is that if the starter cable isn't connected to anything except the starter, then putting the + lead from your charger can't power up anything except the starter itself.

I think we agree that the negative lead from a charger could go on any convenient ground, or the negative battery terminal itself.

But in order for the positive charger lead to do anything, there must be a complete circuit and the current must flow to someplace in the car that can control the doors. If the starter cable is disconnected from the battery, then you can't have a circuit.
Now, if that other + cable that is ganged to the starter cable, eventually goes to something that will power the BCM and other necessary circuits, then it works. But if the ganged cable doesn't do that, then it won't work.

We've go some real Corvette electrical wizards on this Forum, can't one of them step in and straighten this out?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The simplest way is always best....use your key (and always carry your key).

Quick Reply: Locked out