C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do YOU use your F55 Magnetic Ride Selector?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Mine is in the sport mode unless the GF is in the car. Feels plush compared with TripleSilver - which has coilovers
You sir, have a GORGEOUS 427. I'd been meaning to tell you...
Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
Leave it in Sport full time. Plush compared to my Miata.
Is the suspension on a factory Miata hard riding like a 5.0 Fox Mustang? or worse?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:58 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Hmmmm....I must be an exception here. I flip back and forth between Tour and Sport constantly....like paddle shifting almost. Around just about any turn or corner, Sport mode. Cruising on the freeway: Tour mode. Cloverleaf on/off ramp, Sport mode. Uneven pavement our lousy road surface, Tour mode. And it's never just "set and forget"....I'll be in Tour, identify a turn up ahead, flip the switch to Sport right before starting to brake and back to Tour once I've completed the turn and am back to cruising.

Either mode provides the advantages outlined in the "airborne over a bump" videos. The differences in the two modes are most apparent to me in situations where you want to extract better handling from the car. Situations where braking and lateral G forces on the car cause weight transfer handling issues.

While a rookie and absolutely horrible at autocross, the difference between Tour and Sport on an autocross course is about 1.5 seconds for me. I discovered this over the summer. Did a number of runs in the morning and was finally getting some consistent times and feeling comfortable around the course. Left the track and went to lunch and my first 3 runs after were all about 1.5 secs slower....until I realized that I had forgotten to switch the F55 back to Sport after lunch. I was surprised that there was that much performance difference between the two modes. The difference is all about body roll through the slaloms and other places where weight transfer unsettles the car.

For those that can't feel the difference, find a deserted piece of road and try some slalom turns in Tour, then in Sport. I'm not talking about little S turns, real slalom type of turns throwing the car back and forth....the difference in body roll will immediately become apparent.

Last edited by DigitalWidgets; 11-06-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:19 AM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
Hmmmm....I must be an exception here. I flip back and forth between Tour and Sport constantly....like paddle shifting almost. Around just about any turn or corner, Sport mode. Cruising on the freeway: Tour mode. Cloverleaf on/off ramp, Sport mode. Uneven pavement our lousy road surface, Tour mode. And it's never just "set and forget"....I'll be in Tour, identify a turn up ahead, flip the switch to Sport right before starting to brake and back to Tour once I've completed the turn and am back to cruising.

Either mode provides the advantages outlined in the "airborne over a bump" videos. The differences in the two modes are most apparent to me in situations where you want to extract better handling from the car. Situations where braking and lateral G forces on the car cause weight transfer handling issues.

While a rookie and absolutely horrible at autocross, the difference between Tour and Sport on an autocross course is about 1.5 seconds for me. I discovered this over the summer. Did a number of runs in the morning and was finally getting some consistent times and feeling comfortable around the course. Left the track and went to lunch and my first 3 runs after were all about 1.5 secs slower....until I realized that I had forgotten to switch the F55 back to Sport after lunch. I was surprised that there was that much performance difference between the two modes. The difference is all about body roll through the slaloms and other places where weight transfer unsettles the car.

For those that can't feel the difference, find a deserted piece of road and try some slalom turns in Tour, then in Sport. I'm not talking about little S turns, real slalom type of turns throwing the car back and forth....the difference in body roll will immediately become apparent.
... with everything you just said. It's pretty much how I use it, though I wonder to myself if it's because the car is new to me. The difference is definitely perceptible to me, so I don't see why I wouldn't stop using it in this way.

... you don't suppose using it this way would lead to premature wear?
Old 11-06-2013, 01:05 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Wouldn't that wear out the F-55 ****?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:00 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vara411
... you don't suppose using it this way would lead to premature wear?
Well....I've got 47K miles on my 2011. I flip that switch numerous times every daily drive trip. I often find myself reaching down and tweaking it pretty hard when it's already in Sport mode, and I'm just making sure it's really there (that little bit of rubber for grip on the **** allows me to tweak it much harder than I probably should). I can say that so far, my switch operates just like it was new.

Doing little math: 47000 miles/25 miles (one leg of the to/from work commute) = 1880 legs (assuming I only count my work commute). I'd say at a bare minimum, I flip the switch 8-10 times on one of those legs (Sport in neighborhood, Tour on feeder streets...a couple of rough bridges, 2 turns...two clicks each pre and post, 2 clicks for freeway on ramp...one click pre, one click post, 2 for freeway off ramp). Add that up and I've clicked my switch 18,800 times so far....if it was going to break, it probably would have by now!

Honestly, that's a heck of a lot of clicking and I find I tweak kinda hard, just to be sure, every fun turn I see ahead. Works like it was new.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:19 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Honestly, that's a heck of a lot of clicking and I find I tweak kinda hard, just to be sure, every fun turn I see ahead. Works like it was new.
Great! Just eh... no need to twist so hard. She told me to tell you.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 PM
LSD 2005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I installed Z51 sways on my '05 coupe...Tour mode gets turned on when on the interstate, cruising and bumpy roads.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:19 PM
c6vette142dude
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport most of the time.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:20 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LSD 2005
Since I installed Z51 sways on my '05 coupe...Tour mode gets turned on when on the interstate, cruising and bumpy roads.
Absolutely... Z51 sway bars are a huge plus with the F55 setup. Inexpensive upgrade that's well worth it.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:24 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vara411
Great! Just eh... no need to twist so hard. She told me to tell you.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:01 PM
SenseiDave
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've kept mine in TOUR except for a few times playing to feel the difference. But now I'm motivated to try the SPORT setting for a week or two.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:06 AM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SenseiDave
I've kept mine in TOUR except for a few times playing to feel the difference. But now I'm motivated to try the SPORT setting for a week or two.
I tried keeping mine in Sport based on what I read here. Unfortunately my commute didn't allow for that and I'm back to Tour most of the time... but still switching to Sport rather frequently.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Slare
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

The setting on mine pretty much correlates with the legality of my driving. Tour mode almost always.

Comp mode -> sport setting -> go.

There are a few occasions on specific highways where I will use sport to take away what I can only describe as jitteriness.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:44 AM
CorvetteSparky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

I've left it in Sport since buying the car other than trying Tour to see if I could tell the difference. I couldn't tell any difference until on a really bad road... I haven't been on that road since!

Quick Reply: How do YOU use your F55 Magnetic Ride Selector?