C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st corvette...frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:53 AM
mrhandy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st corvette...frustrated

Hello guys!I'm a new member to the forum and like a few others,this is my first Corvette.Been dreaming of owning this car for about 15 years.At first it was a C5 until I got a glimpse of the C6s.My C6 is a 2005 Atomic Orange with glass top,NAV,heated seats,memory,telescopic wheel,etc.To top it off,the previous owner had a procharger installed.The car is very beautiful and will haul it...that is when it's running as it's supposed to...hince ,my problem.Once under hard acceleration,the DIC throwed up a service active handling message.Well the car still ran fine,no problem.The second time under hard acceleration,it did it again but this time it displayed reduced engine power and would not run much at all.In fact it started running extremely bad as if it had a terrible misfire.After I shut the car off for awhile and started it back up,it seemed fine.Well while driving it home it started the misfire thing again.I let it set for awhile and finally drove it on Sunday.When I nstarted it up,I noticed it seemed to have a miss as if maybe a plug is bad but when I hit the accelerator it would level out as if it's ok.Have read about others with similar issues and had battery tested.It's good.Am planning on getting a code reader to see what codes are being displayed.Any suggestions on which way to go would really be appreciated.Thanks for your help and I will be posting pics of my baby.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

for a missfire you need fuel & spark, is the "MIL" on or flashing ?. does the car have a BOOST A PUMP ? maybe it is going bad & you are loosing pressure. a fouled plug , coil or bad wire can also do it, but the light SHOULD FLASH ? . check your fuel pressure, then check the coil, plugs & wires, You may also want to check compression, hopefully you don't have a weak or broken spring.

could you be hitting the REV LIMITER ?

good luck

Last edited by truckplay; 11-04-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:06 AM
mrhandy
Instructor

No flashing lights or anything.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhandy
No flashing lights or anything.
MANY people have had issues rooted in one or more plug wires being loose. Just to rule it out make sure your plug boots are securely seated.

Would be almost too good if the problem was a simple solution, but loose wires have been reported here by other members so maybe yours is one also.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:33 PM
P0234
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First supercharged/modified car OP? Reading the codes is a good start, as is pulling the plugs and doing a visual inspection. Also check for any boost leaks.

Who tuned the car after installing the blower?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:24 PM
mrhandy
Instructor

Thanks for the info guys.Don't know who tuned the car.Bought it used from a dealer.Just trying to figure out which way to go with it.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:16 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Thanks for the info guys.Don't know who tuned the car.Bought it used from a dealer.Just trying to figure out which way to go with it.
It could be a number of things. You have some really good tuners and shops in your area. Just run it by one of them and I am sure they will figure it out in no time. Keep us posted and post some pictures.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:21 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Almost two years ago I had the wrong size tires accidentally put on mine and it did some funny things. It seemed like I was on ice when I tried to acellerate hard. It gave me warnings about the active handling but I don't remember exactly. The proper tire size is on the sticker near your left elbow while sitting in the driver seat with the door open.

Hope you figure it out. The prior owner could have done some mods to the engine also. You may want to try to find a Chevy mechanic with a lot of Vette experience. We have one here in Charlotte that has around 40 years working on them.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 528 Likes on 283 Posts

FYI - your 2005 is Daytona Sunset Orange, assuming that it hasn't been repainted.
I hope you get your issues resolved so that you can truly enjoy your awesome machine.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 PM
mrhandy
Instructor

Thanks for the color correction and thanks to everyone else for your input.We do have some good shops here and the Chevy dealer sells a lot of Vettes,so hopefully I can get this thing running like the monster it should be and have some fun with it.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:33 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Thanks for the color correction and thanks to everyone else for your input.We do have some good shops here and the Chevy dealer sells a lot of Vettes,so hopefully I can get this thing running like the monster it should be and have some fun with it.
Check your wires and coilpacks. Buy a code reader for sure. They are inexpensive and remove a lot of guesswork. If you find a loose wire don't presume it's the only loose one. Ask me how I know...
Old 11-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Engine misfires will cause the Service Traction Control and sometimes the Service Active Handling messages to be displayed. Those displays are caused by a message sent from the engine control module to the electronic brake control module that it has a problem and can't do its part of those functions. The electronic brake control module then sets a code that basically says the problem is in the ECM and displays the messages. However, you really need to see what OBD2 and ABS codes have been set to be sure what is happening. You can't use a basic OBD2 scanner for that since it can't read the ABS codes.

Bill
Old 11-04-2013, 07:07 PM
mrhandy
Instructor

Thanks again guys.In the process of getting me a scanner and will soon see what codes are being displyed.Will keep you posted...thanks!!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:09 PM
RMOSSB12
Cruising

Have you been putting anything below premium in it? With a supercharger, anything below would likely cause problems.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Pin Seeker
Heel & Toe

Thanks again guys.In the process of getting me a scanner and will soon see what codes are being displyed.Will keep you posted...thanks!!
If you didn't get a tuner when you got the car, most likely the installer didn't use one during the supercharger install and that can be harmfull to A/F ratios throughout the rev range. My previous Procharger install came with one as part of the kit.
I'd take it to a tuner's shop. They can monitor the motor through the ECU and see where the problem stems from. They can also dyno tune it and maybe get you a few more ponies...
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Leprkon
Melting Slicks

You may just need to reset the air flow monitoring system. Have you tried unplugging the battery for about half an hour ? You might also check and make you haven't sucked a Walmart bag or piece of cloth up into the air intake and have half the filter blocked.

Last edited by Leprkon; 11-05-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 AM
pm317
Cruising

Default IrishSpuds;

Originally Posted by IrishSpuds
Check your wires and coilpacks. Buy a code reader for sure. They are inexpensive and remove a lot of guesswork. If you find a loose wire don't presume it's the only loose one. Ask me how I know...
Where is the best deal on buying a code reader? I have a 2005 C6 LS2 and I'm a first time owner, plus a woman I'm trying to make sure I keep everything running smooth. So far I've had a lot of messages in my DIC ie left front tire flat, service electric charges, ? FOB Run or Go?, etc. None of these messages seem to be true and it feels and sounds and drives great. Any ideas?

Get notified of new replies

To 1st corvette...frustrated

Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 AM
pm317
Cruising

Default Code Reader?

Originally Posted by pm317
Where is the best deal on buying a code reader? I have a 2005 C6 LS2 and I'm a first time owner, plus a woman I'm trying to make sure I keep everything running smooth. So far I've had a lot of messages in my DIC ie left front tire flat, service electric charges, ? FOB Run or Go?, etc. None of these messages seem to be true and it feels and sounds and drives great. Any ideas?

Anybody have any advice for me
Old 11-05-2013, 07:30 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

you can buy a code reader online or just about any parts store $50-$80.
flat tire warnings can be weak batteries in the old tpms sensors ( 05 car )
"service charging system" can be due to weak battery, aftermarket plugs & wires or just the proximity of the driver front spark plug wire to the alternator. check the battery 1st, if it is 3 years old it is on it's last legs.
"no fob detected" is due to weak batteries in the fob.

Welcome
Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 AM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

You can get them from $20 - $2000. I bought a decent middle of the road name brand for less than $60 for my truck - works on any car (OBD II). Idiot proof! http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EV...110_SY165_QL70

Quick Reply: 1st corvette...frustrated