C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key in car

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 11:46 AM
PaulC4444
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
So it's like when you lock yourself out of your house and you need to break a window to get back inside. Must be a real stupid house.
That's nice. I didn't lock the car. I unlocked it, opened the back and put my jacket in the back with the key in it thinking the car would remain unlocked and that the door would open after I closed the latch. If I were engineering this car, I would have considered such a scenario. I would also consider that if I engineered a house that had electric door latches.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
With push button start, I find no reason to remove my key from my pants pocket.
I like the keyless entry/ignition so much, after getting my '05, I installed a keypad on my house, now I NEVER fumble for those pesky keys at all!

lisa
Old 10-30-2013, 12:06 PM
PaulC4444
4th Gear

Originally Posted by owc6
i like the keyless entry/ignition so much, after getting my '05, i installed a keypad on my house, now i never fumble for those pesky keys at all!

Lisa
l.o.l.!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:57 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

I like the keyless entry/ignition so much, after getting my '05, I installed a keypad on my house, now I NEVER fumble for those pesky keys at all!

lisa
I share the same notion. I plan to replace the aging door ****/lock on the side door to my house with one of those keyless entry pads. I already have them for my garage doors. This kid isn't getting locked out.

p.s. I still will need to carry some keys for my work office ...and my GF's house.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulC4444
That's nice. I didn't lock the car. I unlocked it, opened the back and put my jacket in the back with the key in it thinking the car would remain unlocked and that the door would open after I closed the latch. If I were engineering this car, I would have considered such a scenario. I would also consider that if I engineered a house that had electric door latches.
Program your car so that it does not lock automatically. In this situation, you still will not be able to open the hatch directly from the button by the license plate, but you will be able to open the door and either reach back for your jacket or push the hatch button on the dash then go around and open the hatch. If you want your car to lock automatically, then you will have to remember not to lock the keys inside it.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:35 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

lisa
I think they did a great job designing the C6 system...I never touch the fob at all until I take it out of my pocket at night.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I think they did a great job designing the C6 system...I never touch the fob at all until I take it out of my pocket at night.

In 4 years, mine always performed flawlessly. Never a problem.

That said, I prefer a good ol' fashioned key system.

The fob system adds cost, complexity, and weight. And it's not as reliable nor as durable as a key.

All for a minor convenience? Ridiculous -- especially in a sports car.

Unfortunately, now that it's a Corvette feature, I doubt we'll ever see a key system again.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:17 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Unfortunately, now that it's a Corvette feature, I doubt we'll ever see a key system again.
Yes, some old auto devices once viewed as conventional and necessary are probably gone forever. I guess some even miss the hand crank engine starts on the Model Ts that were replaced by a starter motor. Who ever came up with the idea of placing an ignition key in a steering wheel column in 1968. I like them in the dash where they were meant to be.

Now you got me started. I kind of miss the need to manually advance the engine timing (with my left had) as I rolled into the throttle (with my right hand) on my old 1947 Indian Chief. I've never got used to the transistorized ign system on my 1967 vette, as I really miss the simpler points distributor on my 64 Chevy PU truck. But at least both required a key to enable them to be started and there were in the dash. J/K
Old 10-30-2013, 07:10 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

C'mon, it's not all bad.

Lots of modern stuff is great -- engines, transmissions, suspensions, tires, a/c, cruise, audio, lights, etc etc etc.

But hang around here a lot longer, you'll see plenty of fob problems & complaints. It's an old story.

Just don't get me started on hands-free phones & distracted driving.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:36 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, I really miss my old rotary dial corded land line phone
Old 10-30-2013, 07:36 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

You can lock your key in the trunk or if you put it in the back and shut the hatch, same as you can with any car.

If you leave your key in the car and leave by exiting using the doors, it will tell you (if you have it set up to do so).

I would suggest reading the owners manual, as well as searching for threads on this subject.

The car is not set up to sense the key in the trunk/ hatch area, although, occasionally, it will let you open it via the button above the rear plate. I wouldn't count on this option, though. Early on, I locked my purse in the trunk of my '05 vert), but fortunately, the top was down, and I popped the trunk release. I have tried duplicating this in my '09 Z06 and my vert, but was only able to get the vert open once when my fob was very close to the latch mechanism, and have never been able to duplicate this on my Z.

Many people hide a key on the exterior of the car. I assume they did it with a magnetic key case.

lisa
Lisa
Where would you find a place to stick a magnet on these cars. ?

Clif
Old 10-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot

In 4 years, mine always performed flawlessly. Never a problem.

That said, I prefer a good ol' fashioned key system.

The fob system adds cost, complexity, and weight. And it's not as reliable nor as durable as a key.

All for a minor convenience? Ridiculous -- especially in a sports car.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by PaulC4444
I just bought a 2007 C6 and put my jacket in the car with the key in the pocket. After closing the back hatch I was unable to open the car. Are you effing kidding me! Did they really engineer this that poorly? Is there another way to get in, other than going home and getting my other key?
this has to happen to you at least once for you to not make the mistake again - exact same thing happened to me, had to drive home to get the spare
Old 10-30-2013, 07:48 PM
R0NIN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm always forgetting my fob in the center consol....

I also have developed the bad habit of wallking away from my jeep with the keys still in the ignition!!!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by z06clif
Lisa
Where would you find a place to stick a magnet on these cars. ?

Clif
I have no idea, but I read it on here, so it must be true!

lisa
Old 10-30-2013, 09:54 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have also locked the fob in the car and found that OnStar could open the car for me. Others have claimed that a cell phone held near the door while their wife activates another fob from home phone will open door. I would like to try this. Anyone have experience?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 PM
lil red vette
Advanced

Ex wife and I were out and she had the fob in her purse and put it in the back and shut the rear hatch. The car was locked and wouldn't open. Had AAA and they sent out help. We had to pry open the driver's door glass and used a rod to push the trunk button on the dash to get in.
We had a key made and used mechanics wire to attach it to a wiring loom in the rear wheel well area.

Quick Reply: Key in car