C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn sounds on shut down

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny3
Parking the m6 in reverse is in your owners manual.
Only for 2005 models. They remove this in 2006+ models. My 2013 GS does not need to be in reverse to shut off.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:33 AM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Every once in a while this catches me too when I stop to fuel up and don't shut the door, then I get back in and honk-honk-honk. It just thinks I'm leaving the fob in the car.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkay
I have been carrying keys in my right pocket for as long as I can remember. I will try it but it going to be hard to change an old habit
I started carrying keys in my left pocket and have not heard the three horn honks again. This tip should be posted to the C6 FAQ page. The three honks was really annoying.

THANKS FOR THE TIP
Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

There's nothing magical about carrying your keys in the left pocket, as all you need to do is make sure you don't walk very near the car after exiting. In my case my motorcycle is parked close to the car and I must walk between the two to access my house door, so the horn sounds maybe once every few weeks if I walk too close to the car, always when I'm just to the left of the left-front wheel. I like the warning so I just live with this little peccadillo, although it always startles me when it happens.

I don't go for the left-pocket idea because it would cause certain discord in the universe, as things in my pockets have preordained places of residence: Keys, right pocket; phone, left pocket; and wallet, left-rear pocket. There's no way my brain could reconcile a change of this magnitude after doing it one way for decades.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:27 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
There's nothing magical about carrying your keys in the left pocket, as all you need to do is make sure you don't walk very near the car after exiting. In my case my motorcycle is parked close to the car and I must walk between the two to access my house door, so the horn sounds maybe once every few weeks if I walk too close to the car, always when I'm just to the left of the left-front wheel. I like the warning so I just live with this little peccadillo, although it always startles me when it happens.

I don't go for the left-pocket idea because it would cause certain discord in the universe, as things in my pockets have preordained places of residence: Keys, right pocket; phone, left pocket; and wallet, left-rear pocket. There's no way my brain could reconcile a change of this magnitude after doing it one way for decades.
Love your sense of humor---I am still laughing as I write this.........
Old 10-29-2013, 05:45 PM
johnny3
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Only for 2005 models. They remove this in 2006+ models. My 2013 GS does not need to be in reverse to shut off.
I have a new 013 G S, the owners manual that came with the car says to park the m6 in reverse..
Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny3
I have a new 013 G S, the owners manual that came with the car says to park the m6 in reverse..
Can you tell me which page in the manual states that to "turn off" the car that it needs to be in reverse? I too have a 2013 GS and I know for a fact that I can shut off the car without it being in reverse. In the 2005 it would complain if I tried to leave the car without it being put in reverse first.

EDIT: I found a page in my manual (9-21) that discuss that a recommendation that the M6 be placed in "Reverse (R) and set the parking brake" after turning off the car. I think this is more of a suggestion or best practices type of thing versus a "requirement" to be in reverse to actually shut off the engine completely.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:08 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Can you tell me which page in the manual states that to "turn off" the car that it needs to be in reverse? I too have a 2013 GS and I know for a fact that I can shut off the car without it being in reverse. In the 2005 it would complain if I tried to leave the car without it being put in reverse first.

EDIT: I found a page in my manual (9-21) that discuss that a recommendation that the M6 be placed in "Reverse (R) and set the parking brake" after turning off the car. I think this is more of a suggestion or best practices type of thing versus a "requirement" to be in reverse to actually shut off the engine completely.
The "old wives tale" on this was that it would drain your battery if it wasn't in reverse........my memory isn't what is used to be, but I swear I even saw this in one manual years ago (maybe for my 2008), but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:53 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnAE455
I always let the car lock itself. Usually happens in the garage so maybe there is some interference from the garage door opener.
Same with me, but generally I haven't moved away for the car fast enough.....its the fob reminder telling you it will be ok to go inside and leave the car alone in the garage
Old 10-29-2013, 08:04 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Read post 4...Reset it in the options..
Worked for me...
Old 10-30-2013, 08:45 AM
ChiefC
Racer

Originally Posted by corvette624
Make sure it is your LEFT pocket. Worked for me!
Ok, I thought you were crazy but it works. I spent the last 4 days checking this.
If I DRIVE with the FOB in my left pocket when I get out and walk away it never honks.
Thanks for the tip.

I tried driving with it in my right pocket and moving it to my left before I got out. Guess what, it honked.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiefC
Ok, I thought you were crazy but it works. I spent the last 4 days checking this.
If I DRIVE with the FOB in my left pocket when I get out and walk away it never honks.
Thanks for the tip.

I tried driving with it in my right pocket and moving it to my left before I got out. Guess what, it honked.
Like you I thought this was crazy but since the price was right I tried it and it worked. I am now trying to retrain myself to put the keys in my left pocket. That is the REALLY hard part. Key just belong in the right pocket.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-C6
Every once in a while this catches me too when I stop to fuel up and don't shut the door, then I get back in and honk-honk-honk. It just thinks I'm leaving the fob in the car.
Yes, that happens to me and it is a bit embarrassing. Other people at the gas station look at you and wonder why you are honking your horn.

I think I will disable that feature now that I learned what this is about.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Horn honking has saved my bacon a couple f times.
The three beep thing does happen every now and then....when you don't need it.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:42 PM
leo lossett
Instructor

Have to agree same problem moved fob from right pocket to left and solved problem very easy fix.

Quick Reply: Horn sounds on shut down