C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very sad day...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
That would never happen to a newer Corvette at all, trust me. I drove my C5 through 7 winters and there wasn't rust underneath it at all. I won't be daily driving my C6 in the winter, but as long as the roads are clean I'll take it out. We are lucky up here, winters are fairly mild and we often get rain to wash away the road salt and give us a lot of chances to enjoy our sports cars for a few days here and there.
Ok Pat....lets look at your original statement which I called 'BS'.......

"never happen, trust me" ........so your saying that the 'metals are different' ......hmmm.... no steel in your C5 ? FYI, there is a lot more to a chassis than just a 'frame' and there is plenty of areas on a modern Corvette that in time....not your 'never' statement will be adversely affected.

I mentioned 'salt brine', I could tell by your response you didn't know what I was talking about, perhaps in your area it isn't used (lucky you) but here in Pa and many other areas it's what's put down on road surface 'ahead of the storm'. It's nasty stuff and it gets everywhere up and under your chassis, brake lines are now failing in as little as 7-8 years in some cases. Don't think for one minute that a Corvette is immune to this !

Again my reaction was towards your opening comment and the general nature of it (as I stated) which is nonsense.........how's that...kinder....gentler !

good luck with your move to Fla.......be careful don't get to close to the water......you know all that 'salt in the air' !! ....
Old 10-26-2013, 02:53 PM
JRS_MY_C5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not going to putting my Corvette away until I park it my new garage in my new house that's being built which should be finished in 5 weeks!

J.R.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Red Lightening
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive mine to at least Thanksgiving.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:09 PM
tmd937
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

If our friends in the North run short of salt we can loan you some . We don't use it much
Old 10-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
I have always put mine away once the first grain of salt hits the road. Usually after thanksgiving in SW Ohio. Back out by early March most years.

Me too. But around here they have cut way back on salt & sand. Now they apply liquid salt before a storm. After the snow melts, the roads are usually clear and clean again. Two years ago I never had to put the baby down for a long Winter's nap.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikado463

I mentioned 'salt brine', I could tell by your response you didn't know what I was talking about, perhaps in your area it isn't used (lucky you) but here in Pa and many other areas it's what's put down on road surface 'ahead of the storm'. It's nasty stuff and it gets everywhere up and under your chassis, brake lines are now failing in as little as 7-8 years in some cases. Don't think for one minute that a Corvette is immune to this !
They use salt brine up here as well, in addition to a salt/sand mix. So my C5 did see that stuff as well, and even though the underbelly didn't look brand new by any means, it certainly wasn't rusted.

Anyways, it's a moot point for me now, as I have had a second car since 2011, so there really is no need for me to drive the Corvette on wet or snowy roads. But for those that need to, it's not the end of the world, that's what I'm trying to point out. When I drove my C5 in the winter I got it handwashed at a detailing shop every Saturday and they blasted off the undercarriage as best they could. I'm sure this helped.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Farmdawg
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sad Day Indeed.

My 427 With only 2308 Miles. SAD. I must drive it more next year. Good Nite Sweet Prince.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I lived in the Minneapolis area during 22 years of the time that I have been driving Corvettes and never once ever stored one during the winter, in fact for quite a number of those years the vette was my only car and daily driver.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I guess I still don't understand storing. Keep it in the garage on days when there's ice and snow on the roads, and drive it when the roads are clear.

Is it the salt? Salt does less damage to the "fiberglass" Corvette than it does to cars with metal bodies.

We don't get a lot of snow here, so maybe I can't appreciate what some go through, but they use salt here too when needed, and it's not hurt my car yet.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:44 PM
kpride
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry OP. Sunny Cali here so I never have to worry about storing my vette. That's why I love it here!
Old 10-26-2013, 08:02 PM
dfalliaux
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'15

We're lucky here in Denver...typically get to drive all year round Gonna be almost 68 tomorrow
Old 10-26-2013, 08:19 PM
xxvetteman
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Not trying to pick sides or get anyone mad but I feel like I know about winter being that I live in the U.P. of Michigan near Marquette and near Lake Superior. From about Dec. 1 to late March the temp rarely gets above freezing. Any vehicle that is driven then is subject to harsh conditions that not only include salt but side roads that are not cleared to the pavement like the main highways. Combine that with an average seasonal 15 ft of snow and it is not very easy to get around. Washing the gunk off the underside is not that easy either because you cant wash your car at home in 30 degree temps and by the time you come home from the car wash you have just as much gunk and salt on their again. Some of you think you know winter but like they say you ain't seen nuthin yet!!!
Old 10-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
Prime Corvette "season", is approaching here in south Florida.

The next 4 to 5 months will be mostly, sunshine, blue skies, low humidity, with temps in the low, to mid 70s nearly every day.

Of course, we still retain the right to say that we didn't know who we were voting for.

We'll be thinkin' about ya this winter!
Every month is "Prime Driving Season" in San Diego and we don't have to fight the bugs!

Quick Reply: Very sad day...