C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant change question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Just go to one of those quick lube oil changing places and have them do your anti-freeze.
I don't think so!!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 01:18 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I don't think so!!!!
No.....maybe he has a point!

C6 also comes with too many gauges to inform the driver with readouts rather then idiot lights - information an average driver don't need or understand. Reason so many endless entertaining "questions" over these forums!

Here, I take off thermostat to remove bottle neck and block plugs to further enhance the flush - to most people "What? Overkill!". Draining from radiator and refill with what comes out is enough and I had them refill with "Amsoil" or such and .....!

Many of these posting prove "Ignorance Is Bliss", Right?

Last edited by victorf; 12-20-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

This is such a Great Forum,with out it, myself and many others would be lost.There are some people here that give expert information on (do it your self work).Thank You All and have a great Christmas....
Old 12-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,506 Likes on 819 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
"burped" Some times that's all it takes!
she's my baby!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
she's my baby!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 01:50 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I don't think so!!!!
Just kiddin
That would be almost as bad as using regular petrol oil in engine instead of synthetic?
Old 12-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Just kiddin
That would be almost as bad as using regular petrol oil in engine instead of synthetic?
I knew you was not serious..
Old 12-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by victorf

C6 also comes with too many gauges to inform the driver with readouts rather then idiot lights - information an average driver don't need or understand. Reason so many endless entertaining "questions" over these forums!

Here, I take off thermostat to remove bottle neck and block plugs to further enhance the flush - to most people "What? Overkill!". Draining from radiator and refill with what comes out is enough and I had them refill with "Amsoil" or such and .....!

In the past on my beaters i always pulled the stat & put the water hose in the rad & let the car run for (3 Beers) time,then add coolant & plain water..(Old school way)...
Old 12-21-2013, 01:32 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

In the past on my beaters i always pulled the stat & put the water hose in the rad & let the car run for (3 Beers) time,then add coolant & plain water..(Old school way)...
In addition to ^^^^^. I remove both block plugs, push water hose on one of the block plug hole and watch the water coming out from the opposite side plug hole, after I am satisfied, reverse the process for the opposite side. Overkill, right?

Old 12-21-2013, 05:55 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

I knew you was not serious..
Old 12-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

In addition to ^^^^^. I remove both block plugs, push water hose on one of the block plug hole and watch the water coming out from the opposite side plug hole, after I am satisfied, reverse the process for the opposite side. Overkill, right?

There is always more then one way to do it..Overkill.No"
Old 12-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Nifty C6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
There is a test to check the acidity of coolant. If the acidity is within limits there is really no need to change the fluid.
I'd be interested to know more about the coolant acidity test. Is there a kit that you can buy at auto parts stores? My reason for asking is that my 2006 coupe has only 7900 total miles, but next month it will be 7 years old. If the coolant is still good, I'd just as soon not change it.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:27 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 565 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Nifty C6
I'd be interested to know more about the coolant acidity test. Is there a kit that you can buy at auto parts stores? My reason for asking is that my 2006 coupe has only 7900 total miles, but next month it will be 7 years old. If the coolant is still good, I'd just as soon not change it.
I'm in the same situation. My 07 will be 7 years old on Jan. 2 and only has 6,150 miles on it. I've also got an 03 Avalanche with 20,000 miles on it and it's original everything except a new battery in July of 08. I'm going to test them both. BTW, the 07's battery is still going strong.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:54 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

There is always more then one way to do it..Overkill.No"
aka: OCD.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:56 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

I used to have Amsoil as coolant on first coolant change. That was $31.00 per gallon years ago.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

I used to have Amsoil as coolant on first coolant change. That was $31.00 per gallon years ago.
$31.00 a gal...
Old 01-19-2014, 07:26 AM
ROC OUT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the coolant change/flush yesterday in my 2007 Coupe based on what I read on this forum. Coolant had never been changed in my car before yesterday. Did not test for ph or anything else. Here are my observations.

-I could not find a traditonal radiator cap on top of or connected to the radiator on the LS2. Used the coolant reservoir to do the filling of the system.

- Opening the petcock on the bottom of the radiator to drain the system only nets you 8 quarts or 2 gallons of fluid. I know this from draining the radiator 4 times doing the initial drain of the coolant and then draining the distilled water that I used for the 3 flushes.

-After the initial drain of coolant, I pulled the coolant reservoir off the car and rinsed/flushed it with clear tap water to clean out any loose debris that was in the reservoir. This is very easy to do by just removing the two screws attaching it to the body and two hoses that send and receive fluid from the radiator.

-Two flushes with distilled water still produced drained fluid that was pink. The third flush with distilled water produced fluid that was virtually clear. So, per other posts on flushing the system, my recommendation is to do three, not two, if you want to see virtually clear fluid. Run the engine for several minutes between flushes to get the distilled water to circulate in the engine. Be sure to watch the DIC for coolant temperature and warnings about "Check Coolant Level."

-LS2 engine/coolant system holds a total of 12.6 quarts per the owner's and service manuals (which I have). Draining radiator from the petcock on bottom of radiator only produces 8 quarts. This means that there is still approximately 4.6 quarts of fluid that is not in the radiator. So, to refill and get a true 50/50 mix of Dex Cool, I bought two gallons of the Prestone GM-use Dex Cool from Wal-Mart, not the Prestone GM-use Dex Cool 50/50 mix version. Upon refill of system, I poured in one gallon of Dex Cool. At this point, I had almost a 50/50 mix of Dex Cool and distilled water. I mixed my own 50/50 mix of Dex Cool and distilled water from the second gallon of Dex Cool.

-Distilled water at Wal-Mart was 72 cents a gallon. Prestone GM-use Dex Cool was 14.27 a gallon. (Note, the Prestone GM-use Dex Cool 50/50 mixed version was 12.97 a gallon.)

-Overall, this is not a hard job to do at all. It does take time due to the draining, refilling, draining, etc. Catching and bottling the coolant/drained fluid is not an issue. I bought an open top Rhino drain pan from AutoZone for 8.99 which holds 5 gallons (20 quarts) of fluid. Has a pour spout and handle for convenience. Just catch fluid, close petcock, pour distilled water from gallon containers into reservoir and now you have two empty gallon jugs to pour the 8 quarts of drained coolant into. Do this each time you drain and refill and there is no issue. Auto parts stores in my area take old oil, coolant, etc. for recycling.

With any luck, I won't have any cooling problems in the future and I now know that I have clean fresh coolant in my car good for at least another five years.

Thanks to all on this forum that have provided info and advice based on experience in DIY vette maintenance projects.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant change question

Old 01-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Mike Green9
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks for the info.

M....
Old 01-20-2014, 12:32 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike Green9
Thanks for the info.

M....
Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When running the engine between drain/refills, I think it's best to let the coolant temp get warm enough so the thermostat is fully open (~190'F). I believe there is some circulation even with the thermostat "closed", but it's so easy to let it get warmer...

Quick Reply: Coolant change question