C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Says Tire Is Flat

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Z09SS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Default TPMS Says Tire Is Flat

But it has 28 psi in it. It's also not a run-flat so a flat would be, well, FLAT.

Twice now the left rear has given a warning that it was low then a moment later shown the actual pressure.

I've triple checked with normal pressure gauges now.

Is this the first sign of a sensor going bad?

Interestingly, both occurrences happened within half a block of the grocery store I normally go to and just after pulling out of the lot. The first time right after I fired it up after getting groceries; the second when I realized I'd forgotten something at home I needed and pulled out on the road.

Got a long trip coming in a week and a half, so I'm a bit worried.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Been having the same issue with my 2005. Original sensors currently on my 3rd set of wheels.

Probably time to replace that specific sensor. I'm hoping I can wait until my next tire purchase and change all four at the same time.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,508 Likes on 3,592 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have Left Front tire every once in while, gives me false warning, I guess it time to have them all replaced. The batteries getting weak.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Thesisinbold
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too. Where do I get a new one?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

does it happen at random times or only in 1 place ? they work on a radio (RF) frequency. if the display goes to XXX the sensor has quit transmitting. if the sensors are more than 5-6 years old the internal batteries are going bad.

some new cars are being affected by this as of late though. it may be a batch of bad sensors ?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Thesisinbold
Me too. Where do I get a new one?
You should consider replacing all four. If one battery is dying, the rest won't be far behind. I ordered mine from http://www.shoptpms.com/. They arrived in 2 days.

The OEM sensors are made by Schrader. Most tire shops will order sensors for you, install them and register them to your ECM but don't accept anything but Schrader. I had a bad experience when a tire dealer installed another brand.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,326 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroRod
Been having the same issue with my 2005. Original sensors currently on my 3rd set of wheels.

Probably time to replace that specific sensor. I'm hoping I can wait until my next tire purchase and change all four at the same time.
I'm on year 7 of the sensors, and 3rd tire change. Although they are still working fine, I'll be replacing all 4 sensors on my next tire change out or sooner if need be.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:32 AM
jerho
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Had same problem. Went with LG Track Pack . should solve problem for ever. Have not installed them yet.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:55 AM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Z09SS
But it has 28 psi in it. It's also not a run-flat so a flat would be, well, FLAT.

Twice now the left rear has given a warning that it was low then a moment later shown the actual pressure.

I've triple checked with normal pressure gauges now.

Is this the first sign of a sensor going bad?

Interestingly, both occurrences happened within half a block of the grocery store I normally go to and just after pulling out of the lot. The first time right after I fired it up after getting groceries; the second when I realized I'd forgotten something at home I needed and pulled out on the road.
Got a long trip coming in a week and a half, so I'm a bit worried.
On my 07 Z it was a sensor going bad/battery. Did the same thing.
I replaced all four and all is well.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Replace it but why worry about your trip? Just go!!! People have been taking long trips long before there where tire sensors!!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:33 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Just a suggestion, rather than guessing, why not get a tool to identify problem.

Ateq makes a medium priced VT30 TPMS resetting tool, available from a site that is not a supporting vendor for $199.97 w/Free Super Saver Shipping. Trigger the tool by the tire TPMS location, aside from triggering TPMS, on its screen, it shows tire PSI, internal temperature, frequency of TPMS and battery condition. It is compatible with all known available TPMS and up-gradable on line free if there is change to future TPMS.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:55 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by victorf
Just a suggestion, rather than guessing, why not get a tool to identify problem.

Ateq makes a medium priced VT30 TPMS resetting tool, available from a site that is not a supporting vendor for $199.97 w/Free Super Saver Shipping. Trigger the tool by the tire TPMS location, aside from triggering TPMS, on its screen, it shows tire PSI, internal temperature, frequency of TPMS and battery condition. It is compatible with all known available TPMS and up-gradable on line free if there is change to future TPMS.

Vic...help me out here.....wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and best, in the long run, to just replace the TPMS at the next new tire selection?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:25 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Replace it but why worry about your trip? Just go!!! People have been taking long trips long before there where tire sensors!!!!
I think after a certain amount of time with the car thinking zero air pressure it turns into a pumpkin or something...

It needs to see proper pressure I think but yea how did we ever do anything before pressure sensors lol....
Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
I think after a certain amount of time with the car thinking zero air pressure it turns into a pumpkin or something...

It needs to see proper pressure I think but yea how did we ever do anything before pressure sensors lol....

Others have reported that the car will not allow you to go into Competition Mode, and the AH/TC become very aggressive. There is apparently some differences in how and how quickly this happens, between the different years.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Z09SS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

My main worry is the computer will insert itself into things and make the drive miserable in addition to the baleful glow of the low tire icon.

If I can still drive normally, it's not such a huge deal.

The casual, "buy a $200 tool you might use maybe three times for rest of your life," tells me that this is a rich person's car. $200 is still a lot of money to me.

It's especially frustrating that this is something that has to involve paying a tire shop for labor to replace the sensors. Even if I find a good price on sensors I have to hope to find a place that will let me use those parts. Lots of places have changed over to a "no customer parts" thanks to being held responsible for those parts then not working.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Discount Tires gave me no hassle about installing the GM sensors I supplied to them, when I bought new tires.
They said if I was doing it without buying tires, they would charge me for the mount/dismount; some people say you can break the bead and switch a sensor without dismounting the tire but DT was not willing to try something they hadn't done before.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:18 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Discount Tires gave me no hassle about installing the GM sensors I supplied to them, when I bought new tires.
They said if I was doing it without buying tires, they would charge me for the mount/dismount; some people say you can break the bead and switch a sensor without dismounting the tire but DT was not willing to try something they hadn't done before.
I've swapped sensors without totally dismounting the tire. I've also driven ~8,000 miles with no sensors, including speeds in excess of 120 at the drags. I sure wouldn't let a little thing like an intermittent sensor function stop me from enjoying a road trip. I do keep a pressure gauge in the car and check tires whenever there is something that concerns me.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Says Tire Is Flat

Old 10-23-2013, 12:45 AM
2010BlueGS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My C6 said, "Service Tire Monitor"... I contacted the dealer, and the Service Writer told me that it sounded like a tire sensor is going bad. Since my C6 is covered under the warranty, I'll be taking it in tomorrow morning.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:23 PM
coryvte
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I've swapped sensors without totally dismounting the tire. I've also driven ~8,000 miles with no sensors, including speeds in excess of 120 at the drags. I sure wouldn't let a little thing like an intermittent sensor function stop me from enjoying a road trip. I do keep a pressure gauge in the car and check tires whenever there is something that concerns me.
Good luck with that! You may be able to drag race, but don't x-cross with bad readings. It will cause active handling and traction control to help reduce the load on the tires, been there, done that!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:42 AM
2010BlueGS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010BlueGS
My C6 said, "Service Tire Monitor"... I contacted the dealer, and the Service Writer told me that it sounded like a tire sensor is going bad. Since my C6 is covered under the warranty, I'll be taking it in tomorrow morning.
The left rear sensor was dead... Dealer fixed it.

Quick Reply: TPMS Says Tire Is Flat