C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Snow Tires & Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:03 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Michelin Snow Tires & Fitment

Hi,

I have an 08 Base Corvette with stock rims. Currently I have Michelin Pilot A/S. I want to drive the Vette in light snow with some ice. I live on Long Island and want a dedicated winter tire. I know all about the perils of driving the car in the snow so please spare me the lecture. I need info. on rim selection and tire sizes. I want the narrowest tire I can put on rims that will fit, without the tires looking too awkward.

The tire I want is the Michelin Xice Xi3 tire. I was thinking of getting a set of replica ZR1 rims and wanted to know if these sizes would fit?

225/45R18 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Blackwall (Fronts)
245/40R19 XL Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Blackwall (rear)

The tires also come in these sizes. Not sure if there is better size for stock rims.
215/45R18* 93H
225/40R18 92H
225/45R18 95H
225/50R18* 99H
225/60R18* 100H
235/40R18 91H
235/45R18* 98H
235/50R18 101H
245/40R18 97H
245/45R18 100H
255/45R18 103H
245/40R19* 98H

245/45R19*
Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Right!!
Old 10-21-2013, 11:36 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Back in the 1970s I had a 1970 Corvette that I drove every day in Chicago. Today's cars have more power but also have all the nannies to keep you safe. I put some dedicated snow tires on the '70 and never thought twice about driving in the snow as long as it was not so deep that I was plowing. No Traction control, no ABS nothing but seat of the pants feel to keep you on the road. It was great fun.
If Long Island knows about snow removal you should be fine.
Now I am in TX and they do NOT know what to do when it snows so I don't chance it.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I posted this in another thread, but when I was looking to daily drive my C6 through our primarily wet winters, I was going to get 18X8 wheels front and rear, and run 225/45-18 up front, 225/50-18 in back. Wheel circumference would have been within 1% up front and almost spot on in the back. The narrower tread would provide better hydroplaning resistance and better snow traction. I think about a 35 to 40 offset wheel in the back would have kept the outer plane of the wheel in the right place.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:20 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Hi,

WIll the size tires you mentioned fit on stock rims or do I need a set of rims too. I'm debating buying another set of rims but would like to use what I have if the tire shop doesn't charge me an arm and a leg twice a year to switch out the tires. Also, I don't know much about tire size. How do the tire u suggested compare in height / width compred to 225/45R18 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Blackwall (Fronts)
245/40R19 XL Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Blackwall (rear)?

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
I posted this in another thread, but when I was looking to daily drive my C6 through our primarily wet winters, I was going to get 18X8 wheels front and rear, and run 225/45-18 up front, 225/50-18 in back. Wheel circumference would have been within 1% up front and almost spot on in the back. The narrower tread would provide better hydroplaning resistance and better snow traction. I think about a 35 to 40 offset wheel in the back would have kept the outer plane of the wheel in the right place.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

You know, I didn't read your original message well enough. The tire sizes you originally stated aren't going to be much different than what I suggested, so by all means go with your original recommendation on tires.

Honestly, though, having a spare set of wheels is the way to go. The cost and hassle, and just the marring and scratching that'll happen as you mount and dismount tires, will pay for a set of take-off wheels in short order. That will also let you throw the snow tires back on if you get a late season blast of winter weather as well. I've seen C6 wheels go for $400 a set locally on craigslist. I'd bet you can get the same deal where you are too.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:53 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I'm going to start looking for rims. New ones that are replicas aren't too much money either. I was reading about one guy who said he tried an 18" wheel on the back and he said it fit. Do you think it would pay to do that or just go with a 19" rim for the back?

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
You know, I didn't read your original message well enough. The tire sizes you originally stated aren't going to be much different than what I suggested, so by all means go with your original recommendation on tires.

Honestly, though, having a spare set of wheels is the way to go. The cost and hassle, and just the marring and scratching that'll happen as you mount and dismount tires, will pay for a set of take-off wheels in short order. That will also let you throw the snow tires back on if you get a late season blast of winter weather as well. I've seen C6 wheels go for $400 a set locally on craigslist. I'd bet you can get the same deal where you are too.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

The Xi3 comes in 225/50-18, which in about a 35 mm offset rim puts the outside of the wheel in roughly the same location as your stock wheels. This size is basically identical in diameter to a 285/35-19.

The 225 tire will be better for snow traction. The 245 tire will be better for dry and wet traction if you want to put some significant power down.

So, just comes down to what you want from a rear tire (snow/ice traction of slightly more dry/wet performance) and whether you want to do OEM takeoffs or buy new.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by traderfjp
Thanks. I'm going to start looking for rims. New ones that are replicas aren't too much money either. I was reading about one guy who said he tried an 18" wheel on the back and he said it fit. Do you think it would pay to do that or just go with a 19" rim for the back?
You can go 18" on the back and get more sidewall on the tire. Dunno if 17's fit on the front, but I'm guessing with our brakes the answer is no. I'd go one inch smaller around for Winter tires if possible.

As long as your offset is right and you keep the same overall tire/wheel circumference any wheel with the right bolt pattern will work if you can put the right size tire on it.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:50 AM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Utilize the expertise of tire rack...

Craigslist on Long Island has a ton of corvette rims cheap....

Personally I'd stick with an extra set of stock rims with a few nicks etc for 250 to 300 dollars for all four...

Then follow tire racks suggestion on tires...

Takes all the guesswork out of 5he equation...

Last thing you want to d is upset active handling or abs braking.

Jmo and good luck
Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

I just missed a set of oem rims off craigslist for 590.00. I guess the search continues.

Originally Posted by JudgeNjury
Utilize the expertise of tire rack...

Craigslist on Long Island has a ton of corvette rims cheap....

Personally I'd stick with an extra set of stock rims with a few nicks etc for 250 to 300 dollars for all four...

Then follow tire racks suggestion on tires...

Takes all the guesswork out of 5he equation...

Last thing you want to d is upset active handling or abs braking.

Jmo and good luck
Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I expect your going to have issues with the tires you have chosen because the tire diameter ratio is about 1.028 rear to front and the car needs 1.044 to keep the nannies happy. Maybe you would get away with it but maybe the car would suddenly hit the brakes because it thinks because the tires are rotating at the different speeds that you are sliding. I certainly wouldn't risk it because you might not find out until you really need the tires maintaining traction. Others have noticed the issue as soon as they tried to drive away after having improperly sized tires mounted.

Since you want a slightly smaller diameter tire in the rear you need a slightly smaller diameter in the front also. 215/45/18 would be closer. So you are probably going to need 4 different sized wheels to mount X-Ice tires. As the Michelin site says, the only winter tire set they make for your car would be the Pilot Alpin PA4.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:27 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

You seem to understand the sizing much better than me. I never thought about the traction control. That would really be bad. Are there any sizes in the Xice that would work with stock rims or am I stuck with the Alpin tires?

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I expect your going to have issues with the tires you have chosen because the tire diameter ratio is about 1.028 rear to front and the car needs 1.044 to keep the nannies happy. Maybe you would get away with it but maybe the car would suddenly hit the brakes because it thinks because the tires are rotating at the different speeds that you are sliding. I certainly wouldn't risk it because you might not find out until you really need the tires maintaining traction. Others have noticed the issue as soon as they tried to drive away after having improperly sized tires mounted.

Since you want a slightly smaller diameter tire in the rear you need a slightly smaller diameter in the front also. 215/45/18 would be closer. So you are probably going to need 4 different sized wheels to mount X-Ice tires. As the Michelin site says, the only winter tire set they make for your car would be the Pilot Alpin PA4.

Last edited by traderfjp; 10-23-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:35 PM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in SE Michigan and have a set of painted factory wheels for my 2008 C6 coupe w/Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 snow tires mounted for the winter. I have 225/45-18s in the front & 255/40-19s in the rear - the rears look a little "narrow" on the wheels, but they fit and work (rolling diameter on both ends is within .1" of the OEM Goodyears). I also have a "winter air dam" that is a stock part w/about the bottom 2 inches cut off to limit the snowplow effect (I don't use the molded side dams in winter). When it came time to replace a DD turbocharged Mazda Miata (using snow tires & a hardtop in the winter) that I drove the previous 7 years, I really couldn't think of another car I'd rather drive than a C6, so I bought my coupe & worked up the Blizzak scheme. It has worked well the last 2 winters, so it can be done; if I were "starting over", I'd have the rear stock wheels narrowed by about an inch strictly for appearance......
Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by traderfjp
You seem to understand the sizing much better than me. I never thought about the traction control. That would really be bad. Are there any sizes in the Xice that would work with stock rims or am I stuck with the Alpin tires?
Michelin says no and they should know a lot more than I do about it. There are at least three issues. You have to keep the diameter (circumference) ratio close to stock, the tires have to be narrow enough and not too wide to mount on the wheels, and you don't want so wide or tall that they rub on the fenders. The easiest way to meet all those requirements is to stick with factory sizes. That means you are very limited in the selection. Once you get outside the range that a tire doesn't fit on the wheel you will likely end up needing four wheels because the others won't fit either once the ratio is right.

If you want a real expert's opinion, call TireRack. It's their business to know more about tires than any of us.

If you want to do it yourself, http://robrobinette.com/tire_diameter.htm and a calculator would be where I would go first.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:29 AM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

If you want a real expert's opinion, call TireRack. It's their business to know more about tires than any of us.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:25 AM
2SlowinTO
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=akriggm;1585249812] I also have a "winter air dam" that is a stock part w/about the bottom 2 inches cut off to limit the snowplow effect (I don't use the molded side dams in winter). [/QUO

what is a winter air dam?

And what are the molded side dams? (is that under the bumper, and do you take them off in the winter?)

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Snow Tires & Fitment

Old 11-01-2013, 12:05 PM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My "winter air dam" is the center section of the black, 3-piece factory air dam under the front bumper. The center section is molded from heavy duty rubber and has a mold line running across it that I used as a guide for making it shorter; I cut the bottom 2" (approx.) off a spare center section piece w/heavy scissors and installed it for winter use. It still hangs down about 1/2" below the front chassis cross member, but doesn't give you the snow plow effect between the front tires. I just remove the 2 outside molded plastic pieces of the factory air dam for the winter. I hope this description makes sense......
Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 11-01-2013, 12:59 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

I called tirerack and they were pretty much useless. They can only suggest the stock tire size replacements. I'm thinking I might be better off running 18" rims front and back. It's much easier to find winter tires, the prices are much lower and the tire will be narrower which is better in the snow. I can use the stock 18" rims for the front and can get 18 x 9.5 for the rears. I was waiting to hear from someone who has done this. The guy who sells rims said he would guarantee the fit.

Originally Posted by akriggm
My "winter air dam" is the center section of the black, 3-piece factory air dam under the front bumper. The center section is molded from heavy duty rubber and has a mold line running across it that I used as a guide for making it shorter; I cut the bottom 2" (approx.) off a spare center section piece w/heavy scissors and installed it for winter use. It still hangs down about 1/2" below the front chassis cross member, but doesn't give you the snow plow effect between the front tires. I just remove the 2 outside molded plastic pieces of the factory air dam for the winter. I hope this description makes sense......
Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 11-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

When I lived on LI, I drove my 07' as a DD. I even drove the supercar tires through the winter, except for the snow. After they wore out, I put on Michelin PS, AS, ZP tires. I drove them through one winter and had no problems. I didn't drive through any large snowstorms, but, a little on the ground was no problem. Driving on ice is a no brainer,, you just don't do it. Any car or truck is going to slide on ice, maybe studs or aggressive chains might help, but, I wouldn't do it. Unfortunately, the car isn't really meant to be driven through a lot of snow. Even a lot of slush could be a problem. But, having said that, the Michelin AS tires should work for moderate situations. I live in upstate NY now, and drive my Vette as much as I can. Of course, they salt the hell out of the roads here, so, it gets stabled more than not in the winter. If it's the only car you have, then, do as much research as you can. But, if it's not, I'd stick with the AS tires and save your money. JMHO

Quick Reply: Michelin Snow Tires & Fitment