C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolster and lumbar pump not working - fuse/relay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:52 AM
paz
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bolster and lumbar pump not working - fuse/relay?

My driver side bolster and lumbar pump is not working. The passenger side works and I can hear the pump. The driver side makes no noise when the switches are pressed. I'm guessing the problem is electrical. Is there a fuse or relay for the pump? Is there a connection that has been pulled apart? Has anyone else experienced this failure and fixed it?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

There is one connection under the seat. You should be able to see it with the seat in full up position. I don't think it would just loosen up though as it has a lever.

Are other power functions of the seat working? I looked in my 2013 manual and it only shows one fuse for the power seat. Since your right seat works it sounds more like an electronic issue of the left seat.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:34 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The connectors under the seat have been responsible for many airbag related issues, so they would be the first place to look for this problem. Yellow are always airbag related...don't touch this one.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:44 PM
paz
Racer

Thanks. Yes, I have experience other seat problems. My seat settings recall messes up a lot of the time and my air bag light flashes red sometimes. I'll check my connectors. What am I looking for?

My car is a 2006 with only 30,000mi in clear weather.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:59 PM
paz
Racer

I had a look. A tight space with a lot of wires! Should I remove the seat for a better look? Is it easy to remove/replace a seat?

I did find my lost sunglasses.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 PM
RIRaven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

paz,
I have had this problem. It may be a blown fuse. The box is in the passenger side foot well. If I recall, the one you want is labelled as driver side power seat or something similar. It is a yellow one (20?).
When it first happened, replacingthe fuse didn't last very long. I ended up taking the seat out to see if I could figure out why. I usually keep the seat bottom close to the floor for more head room so things are constantly rubbing every time the seat moves back and forth. There is a circuit board under the seat that looked like it was being rubbed so I wrapped some extra tape around it for protection. If I recall, it is in a bag with a motor or pump. That seemed to work. All connections were fine. They are pretty heavy duty.
I occasionally blow the fuse when I turn on the seat heater so I keep a few extras in the fuse box. There are some slots for spares.
Let me know if you need more specific info.
Bill
Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by paz
I had a look. A tight space with a lot of wires! Should I remove the seat for a better look? Is it easy to remove/replace a seat?

I did find my lost sunglasses.
Send me an email to phileaglesfan@msn.com and I'll send you some instructions that I saved from my 08 for a product that I installed on that car.

It is not a hard job, disconnect the battery though. GM put plastic securing devices (blue) over the connectors so I"m guessing it is not loose unless touched in the past.

I couldn't find two separate fuses for both seats on my 13's owner's manual. If that is the case then you can eliminate a problem with the fuse if the right seat works perfect. A bad fuse should shut the whole seat down anyway.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:47 PM
paz
Racer

I keep my seat down as far as it will go for extra head room too!
I'll check the fuse! My seat heater stopped working too. I don't turn the heater on very often here in Texas. I'm going to check right now.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:15 PM
paz
Racer

Default Incorrect fuse diagram: Lumbar, bolster, seat heater all the same fuse

Thanks guys, it was a fuse. BUT there is still some info worth telling.

My passenger side fuse box is wired differently than the fuse diagram and manual. The position labeled PWR LUMBAR is not wired! There are no metal contacts in that position. And the lumbar, bolster, and seat heater are all on the same fuse.

My DRVR HTD SEAT fuse was blown. Until I get a spare 20A fuse, I swapped it with the PASS HTD SEAT fuse. Now my driver's side bolster, lumbar and heated seat all work and the passenger side seat does not.

So if you have a 2006 Z51 vert like mine, your fuse diagram may also be incorrect.

Thanks for your help. I love this list!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:56 PM
paz
Racer

Default Small fuse box installed upside down

Here's a pic of my passenger side fuse layout. You can see the small fuse box was installed rotated 180 degrees. This made finding the right fuse a little confusing at first. I replaced the blown fuse and now everything works.
NOTE, in my 2006, the seat heaters, lumbar and bolster pumps are all wired through the seat heater fuses. I'm not sure what the PWR LUMBAR 15A fuse protects. I pulled it and the lumbar pumps still purred without it.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:23 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by paz
Here's a pic of my passenger side fuse layout. You can see the small fuse box was installed rotated 180 degrees. This made finding the right fuse a little confusing at first. I replaced the blown fuse and now everything works.
NOTE, in my 2006, the seat heaters, lumbar and bolster pumps are all wired through the seat heater fuses. I'm not sure what the PWR LUMBAR 15A fuse protects. I pulled it and the lumbar pumps still purred without it.

Thanks for the info...

Old 10-12-2013, 12:44 PM
RIRaven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

paz,
Yup, my 2006 is the same. I think it depends on what seat options you get. When I took out the seat, I moved some wires and re-zip-tied. I also put the module back as tucked in as possible so it wouldn't rub.
Good luck, I hope it was just a random blown fuse.
Bill
Old 10-14-2013, 09:22 PM
paz
Racer

Thanks Bill,

Is taking out the seat as simple as undoing 4 nuts?

Get notified of new replies

To Bolster and lumbar pump not working - fuse/relay?

Quick Reply: Bolster and lumbar pump not working - fuse/relay?