C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra damage over headlight cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 06:27 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Clear Bra damage over headlight cover

Hi... I've already sent off an email to the guy who installed my clear bra 1 and 1/2 years ago but I thought I would also ask a couple of questions here to see if folks with knowledge could perhaps answer a couple of questions.

I apparently took a two pronged rock (two small clear bra damage sites about an inch apart) on my passenger side headlight cover that is covered in 3M clear bra. The damage is in the clear bra itself. See attached jpgs. The entire front of the car is covered in 3M-VentureShield but I recall the installer telling me he uses straight 3M (not VentureShield) on headlights and fog lights because the straight 3M tended to stay clear better and longer.

It's my primary plan to ask my original installer to simply replace this fairly small piece of 3M clear bra on this one headlight cover.

I trust the headlight cover is glass and not plastic, right??? I've always wondered what it really means to remove a piece of this clear bra and now I am soon to find out. I'd much rather start with a headlight cover than say the hood (yikes). Does anyone with knowledge know whether there is any issue with removing and replacing a piece of clear bra on one of these headlight covers??? Just heat gun a corner until it comes loose and pull it all off??? Should I get both redone so they don't look different??? I doubt that's an issue because they both still look totally clear and the bra is only 1 1/2 years old.

Then here comes the big question. My clear bra installer showed me once how to use a heat gun to remove blemishes. I drove 40 miles to his place twice to have him remove scuffs and after the second trip, I learned myself... I've since bought my own heat gun and removed two or three scuffs successfully myself.

But this damage is actually a couple of small holes/tears in the bra. I'm ok with lilttle holes if I could just make them not look so white. I have black headlight frames (rather than crystal red body color) and these two little spots really stand out against that background. Does anyone know if using my heat gun to heat this damage area just like I once learned to do to reflow and watch scuffs just disappear (like magic) on the hood might cause this damaged area on the headlight cover to reflow just enough to sort of disappear??? If so, I might try that but not if say someone tells me the headlight covers are made out of cheap plastic (don't think they are) such that applying heat might cause other issues. Anyone have any experience with repairing or reflowing actual damage in clear bra material??

thanks... bob...
Attached Images   
Old 10-08-2013, 06:34 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Glass headlight... on a GM? No, it's plastic man, just like on almost every other car on the road today. To answer your question, it should be fairly easy to remove. Just peel it off from an edge with a fingernail, and spray some water as you work your way. I wouldn't use heat at all unless you can't start the procedure with you fingernail... BUT only with a hair drier. DO NOT get a heatgun anywhere close to paint or plastic man. And you can remove any glue residue with WD40, then clean and polish the plastic with plastic polish. By the way, all of those parts come in a kit, so it's the same 'Ventureshield' material as the rest of the car. That's the one I have too. Next time I'll get Expel. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:59 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Glass headlight... on a GM? No, it's plastic man, just like on almost every other car on the road today. To answer your question, it should be fairly easy to remove. Just peel it off from an edge with a fingernail, and spray some water as you work your way. I wouldn't use heat at all unless you can't start the procedure with you fingernail... BUT only with a hair drier. DO NOT get a heatgun anywhere close to paint or plastic man. And you can remove any glue residue with WD40, then clean and polish the plastic with plastic polish. By the way, all of those parts come in a kit, so it's the same 'Ventureshield' material as the rest of the car. That's the one I have too. Next time I'll get Expel. Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback... I've heard of Expel but know nothing about it. Why do you think it's better than VentureShield??? thanks... bob..
Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

IMO, it's a bit subjective as to which material is better than another.

As to the removal, ask your installer what to use. mostly, I'd suggest looking it up on 3M's website, google, etc. But if I didn't do that, I'd use what my installer used to put it on: a spray bottle with a drop of soapy water and gently, by hand (no instruments), peeling it back/off.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:39 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Is it possible for a mere human like me to order (from some place) a clear bra piece pre-cut for a headlight cover??? As I said above I have an email sent off to the guy who installed all the clear bra originally... But I don't even know if he's still in business... I think he is but we will see if I hear back from him.

He came to my house to put on the original bra which covered the entire hood, fenders, nose, head and fog lights, backs of the mirrors and even a piece in fron of each rear fender. I watched the entire process and though I would not want to even imagine doing like say an entire hood, installing a pre-cut piece on the headlight cover would not be hard. Getting the original one off would be the only part I would need to truly learn about beyond just watching YouTube videos (which I've done more than once since I bought the car).

So can a pedestrian order a pre-cut piece??? My installer had his own kit cutting machine and a large role of both 3M-VentureShield and what he told me was just straight 3M. He told me 3M had for years made its own and at some point had purchased VentureShield. He told me VentureShield came in pieces (rolls) large enough to say an entire hood in one piece (like he brought to my house) but that the 3M product came in smaller sizes. He also said the 3M tended to clear longer, thus the reason he used it on light covers...

Could I somewhere buy a piece (or two) for C6 Grand Sport headlight covers???

thanks.. bob...
Old 10-08-2013, 09:45 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I did just find one online site that sells 3M kits and for my C6 I don't see anything for headlights. Maybe no one ever covers headlights???

Should I even consider removing the clear bra from the headlight covers and just leave it off???

This particular installer suggested covering the lights though granted that's not a painted surface of course.

Do others who have clear bras on the front of their cars ever cover the headlight covers or might that be considered overkill or silly???

thanks... bob..
Old 10-08-2013, 10:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

not overkill; headlights take a beating. some put it on and have issues, others don't. mine's been on for six years. talk to your installer.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:30 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Can anyone speak to whether or not it's hard to remove a 3M clear bra piece from just this headlight cover??? I've still not heard back from my installer (might not even be in business anymore) and I'm looking into what it might mean to do this myself. I've found a place online where I can buy the 3M or 3M VentureShield headlight piece (gotta buy both and both fog lights but that's ok) for about $50. I think I know enough to be able to put on that one small piece.

But taking off the damaged one??? I've watched lots of YouTube videos that show how to remove clear bra from painted surfaces but what about on this plastic headlight cover??? Is it easy??? Hard??? Anyone ever done this???

thanks... bob..
Old 10-09-2013, 05:27 PM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

just go to XPEL.com website and order the headlight covers.
I have done two C_6's and had zero problems
Old 10-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Chuck Mahnke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 244 Likes on 94 Posts

AutoTrim Design in Neenah, WI will sell just the headlight pieces. They call the product InvisiShield but it is the 3M product you are looking for. I had them install it on the front of my 2005 and it worked great until I sold the car last spring. At that point I removed all of it including the headlight pieces simply using a hair dryer to warm it up. After 8 years and 35K miles the film was getting scuffed up a bit but the paint and headlights were perfect. The guy that bought it from me thought I had the front end repainted, not a chip or scratch on it.

Here is a link to their website and the red C6 in the headlight installation video was my car having the installation done in June, 2005. Be sure to watch the video to determine if you want to install it yourself. I now have the same product installed on my 2012 Grand Sport.

http://www.autotrimdesign.net/page.asp?id=39
Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I have a decent size nick on the clear bra on my headlight's clear bra. Trust me that it is better that you have it then not. GM dealer will be glad to charge you about $1k to replace it. I rather just replace a $30 piece of clear bra.

Leaving the car in the sun all day is a good idea before trying to remove it. I pulled the one off my 08 pretty easily after it was damaged by a road gator. I had a hair dryer standing by but didn't need it. I wouldn't use a heat gun since it is just plastic. I haven't seen a glass headlight for a long time.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 PM
RO55
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clear bra is easy to remove so no worries. I keep my headlights & fog lights covered with clear bra because here in Fla the fine sand on the roads really blasts them.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

So for those of you who have actually removed clear bra from C6 headlight domes, am I hearing you correctly that peeling it off causes no issues with that plastic headlight cover surface??? Is that correct?? There's no GM coating or anything on that plastic dome that might be pulled off as the clear bra peels off???

My installer once taught me how to use the heat gun to remove things like bird dropping stains... It's amazing actually to watch it work as the surface. So I own a heat gun but I bought the kind that you can run very hot or way cool... From what I'm hearing I would either use the heat gun on very low heat or just leave the car out in the sun for several hours. Then go pick at a corner of the headlight bra and then peel away, right??? And you guys have done that on a C6 headlight dome, right??? Forgive me for perhaps overasking but I don't want to dive in and come to find out there was some antiglare coating or something like that on the dome that I would peel right off...

I've watched a number of videos showing clear bra being removed but it's always been on painted surfaces (which in many ways seems so much scariers) so I'm just wanting to be double sure that I won't do any harm to peel this damaged piece off my 2012 C6 headlight cover...

I still have an email out to my installer and I went by the office of another local installer today (closed) but so far I've not made contact with any of the pro installers...

I watched the installer put the bra on my car and I almost feel more comfortable with the install than the removal, which again, I've only seen on YouTube.

I really appreciate the help... thanks... bob...

Get notified of new replies

To Clear Bra damage over headlight cover

Quick Reply: Clear Bra damage over headlight cover