C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Bassprocop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite Radio

I recently had the satellite radio activated in my 05. The reception is not very good. Sirius/XM sent another signal to the unit but its hit or miss if it picks up very well. When it does it takes a while to make contact with the station if that makes sense. Also the radio in this car seems to have a mind of its on. Sometimes when you turn it on rather a CD is playing or the radio it does not start playing for about 30-40 seconds. Its a factory head unit with no modifications. Anyone else have these issues? Any suggestions? I feel like the satellite and the 30-40 second delay may somehow be related.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

With the factory radio there shouldn't be any delay. Or at least mine didn't have a delay. I was never happy with the way the SiriusXM sounded either (or the radio in general, for that matter).

I had the factory unit replaced with a Kenwood by DD Mods, and it has a substantial delay, maybe 30 seconds, but I'm pretty sure that's normal with that unit. The best sound I have comes from a CD or USB. The radio itself is not all that great, and the XM receiver is worse. Music doesn't sound good, and I tried to listen to a football game this weekend and the announcers' voices are virtually unintelligible. And there's a fair amount of static. Not sure if it's the XM signal, the antenna, or the receiver itself. I guess I need to ask Dennis. XM in our Cadillac ATS is fine.

Last edited by RocketDawg; 10-07-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Bassprocop
Instructor

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
With the factory radio there shouldn't be any delay. Or at least mine didn't have a delay. I was never happy with the way the SiriusXM sounded either (or the radio in general, for that matter).

I had the factory unit replaced with a Kenwood by DD Mods, and it has a substantial delay, maybe 30 seconds, but I'm pretty sure that's normal with that unit. The best sound I have comes from a CD or USB. The radio itself is not all that great, and the XM receiver is worse. Music doesn't sound good, and I tried to listen to a football game this weekend and the announcers' voices are virtually unintelligible. And there's a fair amount of static. Not sure if it's the XM signal, the antenna, or the receiver itself. I guess I need to ask Dennis. XM in our Cadillac ATS is fine.
I hate the Bose set up in this car. I eventually want to replace all of it but for no more than I drive it I will leave it as is for now. My Tahoe has a Bose satellite system in it and it works just fine and it sounds much better too. I'm just disappointed in the Vette's overall sound system and the fact that the satellite works shoddy at best just adds to the unhappiness. I will likely just cancel the Sirius subscription.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Youngchris
Heel & Toe

I have a C5 and would like to replace the factory radio with a satellite radio. Can this be done and I would appreciate any and all advice that you can provide, even recommendations on radios and installation shops.

Thanks so much!!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:11 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Old 10-10-2013, 09:19 AM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

I have XM in my 05 with Bose, but I do have a new Kenwood Head Unit. But XM in this car or any other car I have had has never sounded as good as the CD or normal Radio Stations.

I'm assuming "BassProCop" you are a bass fisherman. Check out my site www.AroundTheTournamentTrail.com I cover most Bass Tournaments in and around the Florida Panhandle.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

The radio on my '06 had problems with FM reception since day one. I sometimes had to reboot the radio for every FM station. Sometimes there was just a delay. The dealer found a problem with the radio and replaced it. I have had no problems since.

Get notified of new replies

To Satellite Radio

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio