C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock stereo sounds better than kenwood???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 06:02 PM
TXredc3
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Stock stereo sounds better than kenwood???

Have an '09 with non-Bose set-up. Previous owner switched out front and rear speakers with Polk Audio. I wanted nav so I bought a used Kenwood 7100 head unit. Double D set me up with with the harness and sw controls. Did a comparison of sound between the 2 head units and the stock unit sounds much better than the Kenwood. Couldn't figure out why so I took it to Cartoys to check out my setup. Everything checked out. They too noticed the sound difference. I asked them "shouldn't the Kenwood unit sound better than a stock unit". They said definitely. They then went on to tell me that the Kenwood unit was functioning properly and was simply "clipping out". Think this means hitting max sound....when you start hearing distortion??? We then went into the showroom and listened to some new units. Every unit didn't sound as good as my stock unit? Opinions welcome!!

Btw....would've posted in the audio section but think this section would get more visibility.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:29 PM
e weezie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed. Havin the same problem with my Kenwood.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:41 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Did you add an amp and sub? You need those to go with the aftermarket speakers and Kenwood head unit.

I have a Kenwood DNX9140, Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1000F 10-Inch sub, Kenwood Excelon XR-5S amp, and Focal K2 Power 165KR speakers up front.

I also added sound and heat insulation and my systems sound a lot better than the stock (non Bose) radio in my 2010 coupe.

I would have guessed that Dennis would have suggested an amp and sub.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:02 PM
TXredc3
Pro

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Did you add an amp and sub? You need those to go with the aftermarket speakers and Kenwood head unit.

I have a Kenwood DNX9140, Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1000F 10-Inch sub, Kenwood Excelon XR-5S amp, and Focal K2 Power 165KR speakers up front.

I also added sound and heat insulation and my systems sound a lot better than the stock (non Bose) radio in my 2010 coupe.

No, have not added an amp or sub. Guess I'm just disappointed that that the Kenwood alone would not sound better than the stock unit. Thought it would be a no brainer that it would be especially after hearing so many comments that the stock unit is crapp. On a budget and really don't want to have to spend the extra bucks. Was trying to get by under $600 total but it now looks like I will have to shell out a few hundred more to have nav and a stereo with at least the same sound as the stock unit.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:03 PM
e weezie
Racer

But why would a simple head unit swap make the sound quality worse? Does the stock head unit have a built in power source? I don't want the extra weight of a sub and amp.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I would just start with an inexpensive, 4-channel amp and then listen to your new sound, especially with all the tonal controls in the Kenwood. If you decide you still want NAV and a sub then sure you'll spend a lot more.

There are quite a few that are small, lightweight but really put out some power. Just as an example, this Rockford Fosgate fits in the palm of your hand: (no affiliation). http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-PBR300X4-PUNCH-4-CHANNEL-300W-RMS-CLASS-D-NEW-WARRANTY-/230987259292?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item35c7e9dd9c
No matter what the car, I've never heard aftermarket speakers sound as good powered from the HU as they do amplified. Your stock radio probably sounded good with your stock speakers because they're matched together insofar as low power handling.

Last edited by Tropicana; 10-05-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:17 PM
TXredc3
Pro

Originally Posted by Tropicana
I would just start with an inexpensive, 4-channel amp and then listen to your new sound, especially with all the tonal controls in the Kenwood. If you decide you still want NAV, then sure you'll spend a lot more.

There are quite a few that are small, lightweight but really put out some power.

No matter what the car, I've never heard aftermarket speakers sound as good powered from the HU as they do amplified. Your stock radio probably sounded good with your stock speakers because they're matched together insofar as low power handling.
The speakers were swapped out with Polk Audio.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:18 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by e weezie
But why would a simple head unit swap make the sound quality worse? Does the stock head unit have a built in power source? I don't want the extra weight of a sub and amp.
If it was just a head unit swap then that might be OK, BUT the OP said that the previous owner had swapped out the speakers as well.

I am pretty sure that the OEM speakers in the doors are powered sub/mid-range speakers. If you switch them out to aftermarket speakers, you need to add an amp to power them and a sub for the low end.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Even a good aftermarket head unit would suck at powering aftermarket speakers, even with the 50Wx4 sticker on it (really more like 10Wx4). That's why they have preamp outs on the back.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 PM
TXredc3
Pro

Originally Posted by Tropicana
Even a good aftermarket head unit would suck at powering aftermarket speakers, even with the 50Wx4 sticker on it (really more like 10Wx4). That's why they have preamp outs on the back.
If that's the case, then shouldn't Kenwood, Pioneer, etc put a disclaimer on their units that says something like "The stereo you've just purchased will sound like crapp unless you shell out a few hundred more for one of amps". Or "The stereo you've just purchased will not sound as good as the Ac/Delco unit that doesnt specialize in making car stereo units that originally came in your car".

Last edited by TXredc3; 10-05-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:43 PM
e weezie
Racer

If it was just a head unit swap then that might be OK, BUT the OP said that the previous owner had swapped out the speakers as well.

I am pretty sure that the OEM speakers in the doors are powered sub/mid-range speakers. If you switch them out to aftermarket speakers, you need to add an amp to power them and a sub for the low end.
Sorry, I was just referring to my own situation. All I did was swap my non-Bose head unit with a Kenwood ddx470. The stock head unit, for whatever reason, was much more powerful.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:49 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by TXredc3
If that's the case, then shouldn't Kenwood, Pioneer, etc put a disclaimer on their units that says something like "The stereo you've just purchased will sound like crapp unless you shell out a few hundred more for one of amps". Or "The stereo you've just purchased will not sound as good as the Ac/Delco unit that doesnt specialize in making car stereo units that originally came in your car".
I cannot believe you wrote this.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:50 PM
ChiefC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I have the stock stereo (non Bose) and was trying to decide what to do to make it sound better. I think I'll start with new speakers. That might be all I need.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:55 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by e weezie
Sorry, I was just referring to my own situation. All I did was swap my non-Bose head unit with a Kenwood ddx470. The stock head unit, for whatever reason, was much more powerful.
I'm not sure if the OEM head unit is designed to work with the unique door speakers in the C6 but it probably is, and the combo of an aftermarket head unit and the OEM door speakers might not be a great combo. The OEM door speakers are kind of a hybrid of a sub and midrange and have some power built into them.

I spent some time in the Audio section before I upgraded my audio system and most of the advice that I received was that to just swap out the head unit by itself would not be worth it.

A combo of an aftermarket head unit, along with speakers, amp, and sub is the best way to get improved sound.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:59 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ChiefC
Thanks for the info. I have the stock stereo (non Bose) and was trying to decide what to do to make it sound better. I think I'll start with new speakers. That might be all I need.
I think you're better off leaving it as is if you are not going to add an amp and sub.

The OEM door speakers are designed to work with the OEM head unit.

Spend some time in the Audio section and get some insight from some of the experts there.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:07 PM
TXredc3
Pro

Originally Posted by ls1121
I cannot believe you wrote this.
I can't believe an AC Delco stereo would sound better than a Kenwood apples to apples.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:07 PM
rlp6162
Advanced

Originally Posted by TXredc3
Have an '09 with non-Bose set-up. Previous owner switched out front and rear speakers with Polk Audio. I wanted nav so I bought a used Kenwood 7100 head unit. Double D set me up with with the harness and sw controls. Did a comparison of sound between the 2 head units and the stock unit sounds much better than the Kenwood. Couldn't figure out why so I took it to Cartoys to check out my setup. Everything checked out. They too noticed the sound difference. I asked them "shouldn't the Kenwood unit sound better than a stock unit". They said definitely. They then went on to tell me that the Kenwood unit was functioning properly and was simply "clipping out". Think this means hitting max sound....when you start hearing distortion??? We then went into the showroom and listened to some new units. Every unit didn't sound as good as my stock unit? Opinions welcome!!

Btw....would've posted in the audio section but think this section would get more visibility.
Something is not right. I have a Bose 7 speaker premium sound and when I replaced the head unit with a Kenwood DNX 690, the sound got a lot better. There is a pot that controls the chime volume and if it's turned down too low (like mine was originally when I installed the radio), the sound will suck. I pulled the radio back out and turned the pot up and now the sound is awesome.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock stereo sounds better than kenwood???

Old 10-05-2013, 08:14 PM
TXredc3
Pro

I'm with you. This doesn't make sense. Where is the Pot located you're referring to?
Old 10-05-2013, 08:20 PM
TXredc3
Pro

Originally Posted by ChiefC
ChiefC - I'm telling ya'. I thought my set up before the HU switch was awesome. I only made the change to pick up Nav. Didn't want the separate Nav unit. Hopefully I'll get this sorted out. Gonna try the Pot control as previously mentioned.

On a side note....wish Dennis was closer. From what I hear, he'd make my stereo sound like I was front row at a Van Halen concert.

Last edited by TXredc3; 10-05-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 PM
09C6inWA
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd think the quality of your speakers would affect the sound more. I upgraded the front & rear speakers and disconnected the center dash speaker. The sound is much better now.

Quick Reply: Stock stereo sounds better than kenwood???