C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter rattle???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Jacob Cole
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter rattle???

I own a 2008 a6 with exhaust, intake, and most recently was the lg g6x3 cam kit with a yank 3600 stall. My issue is kind of hard to explain but ill try my best. There is a rattling sound in the back of the car that occurs when the car has been running for a long period of time or when it gets hot (i live in hawaii so it is always hot) but the rattling gets especially loud when i turn my air conditioning on. I turn the A/C off and the rattling will slowly go away (if the car isn't hot). The car drives perfectly fine, it idles good acceleartes good and shifts good.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have headers or NPP mufflers?
Jeff
Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I assume there's a dust cover on the Corvette trans where you can check the Flex plate bolts? If loosening bolts is the culprit, it's probably already to the point where the flex plate is cracked/egged out and will need to be replaced along with fresh bolts. Since heat and AC is somehow a factor, I'm gonna guess that the exhast is rattling on something after the most recent mods?
Old 09-26-2013, 10:26 AM
leng64
Intermediate

Jacob:

Did you look at your torque tube. It happens to my 2011 GS with only 14500 miles on it. My car vibrated at idling when the engine is warm or at the stop lights. My dealer replaced it already. My GS is happy for now. I hope my two cents will help you solve your problem. Best of luck
Old 09-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Jacob Cole
Intermediate

i do not have headers and its a borla atak exhaust.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Jacob Cole
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
I assume there's a dust cover on the Corvette trans where you can check the Flex plate bolts? If loosening bolts is the culprit, it's probably already to the point where the flex plate is cracked/egged out and will need to be replaced along with fresh bolts. Since heat and AC is somehow a factor, I'm gonna guess that the exhast is rattling on something after the most recent mods?
I had the cam and converter professionally done and i dont have the tools to get under the car. So i guess my next step would be to go back to him and have him look at it. Ill be sure to bring this up to him to help narrow down the issue. thanks for the help.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Jacob Cole
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leng64
Jacob:

Did you look at your torque tube. It happens to my 2011 GS with only 14500 miles on it. My car vibrated at idling when the engine is warm or at the stop lights. My dealer replaced it already. My GS is happy for now. I hope my two cents will help you solve your problem. Best of luck
That sounds alot like what my issue is, it would only do it at idle and stop lights. Did the rattling come from the back of the car? and if this is the issue is it a cheap and easy fix?
Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 PM
leng64
Intermediate

Jacob:

Isn't Chevrolet power train warranty 7 years and 100000 miles for all Corvette. If I were you, I would go to your reputable dealer to solve your problem. if you are in Gaithersburg, MD, you can go to Criswell Chevrolet for your problem. Dina and Matt (service manager) are great folks to deal with. Criswell Chevrolet has been taking care of my car every time I went there. I like them a lot.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 PM
leng64
Intermediate

The rattling come from the back of the car to the rear right of the car. I saw the price of torque tube was 1250.00 and it is not cheap on my book. I was so glad that is was under warranty. happy driving my CRM vette again. cheers.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

I thought I had an exhaust rattle for quite some time. I recently changed the diff fluid and all the rattles disappeared. I had previously used oil and additive from Discount Auto Parts. This time I used the oil from the GM parts counter and saw a difference as I backed out of the drive. Took two quarts with a base 08 vert.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:43 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by leng64
Jacob:

Isn't Chevrolet power train warranty 7 years and 100000 miles for all Corvette. If I were you, I would go to your reputable dealer to solve your problem. if you are in Gaithersburg, MD, you can go to Criswell Chevrolet for your problem. Dina and Matt (service manager) are great folks to deal with. Criswell Chevrolet has been taking care of my car every time I went there. I like them a lot.

Good luck to you.
It's 5/100,00 and he has an '08 so the 5 years could be gone.

Regardless, read the list of his mods, he's killed his Warranty some time ago. Why should GM pay for the results his mods?

Get notified of new replies

To Torque converter rattle???

Quick Reply: Torque converter rattle???