C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dremmel crazy

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:28 AM
Slammin07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dremmel crazy

Sooo I bought a dremmel the other day and had some time on my hands this morning so I decided to port my throttle body a little bit...

Super simple to do. I used a tungsten cutting bit to remove the majority of the material then a 120 grit flap wheel to smooth everything out. I know it's probably not as effective nor pretty as a CNC ported piece, but I don't have a CNC machine in my garage and this alone was enought to make me happy. Does anyone have any tips for home porting the intake manifold? Is it something best left for a pro to do? Just curious
Old 09-20-2013, 11:20 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

You need to polish out the scratches use 1000 grit and polishing compound you want smooth air flow.
z51vett
Doug
Old 09-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Brockman66
Racer

What, exactly, is porting your throttle body and what does it do?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Pin Seeker
Heel & Toe

Did you allow for the added flow to your A/F ratio afterwords? This could produce a lean condition.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:41 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Although it seems simple enough you have to be careful. If you remove material near the blade, you are going to have issues getting it to run well.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:17 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brockman66
What, exactly, is porting your throttle body and what does it do?
Porting involves opening-up the size of the throttle body and / or the intake manifold that mates with the throttle bodies. Theoretically, this should allow more air or air-fuel mixture into the motor and yield more power. Porting is usually performed along with polishing some of these surfaces to smooth out the flow. Also, important is matching the opening of the manifold to the base of the throttle body ( or carburetor in the old days) and the gaskets to improve flow through the complete system.

Does this explanation make sense?

One must be careful not to screw-up components in the throttle body and their fit. Porting and polishing used to be a good way to make more power in the old days with carburetors and the poor match of component sizes between gaskets, manifolds, and carburetors. Not certain this is as helpful a procedure as it was in those days.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:42 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

From what I've seen on the Forum, porting your own throttle body is often a good way to brick it.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Brockman66
Racer

Originally Posted by florida john
Porting involves opening-up the size of the throttle body and / or the intake manifold that mates with the throttle bodies. Theoretically, this should allow more air or air-fuel mixture into the motor and yield more power. Porting is usually performed along with polishing some of these surfaces to smooth out the flow. Also, important is matching the opening of the manifold to the base of the throttle body ( or carburetor in the old days) and the gaskets to improve flow through the complete system.

Does this explanation make sense?

One must be careful not to screw-up components in the throttle body and their fit. Porting and polishing used to be a good way to make more power in the old days with carburetors and the poor match of component sizes between gaskets, manifolds, and carburetors. Not certain this is as helpful a procedure as it was in those days.
Thanks for the explanation, learn something new everyday.

Get notified of new replies

To Dremmel crazy

Quick Reply: Dremmel crazy