C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd party warranty not taking my claim.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 3rd party warranty not taking my claim.

For the reverse gear. I bought the car Dec. 14th. Bought the warranty Dec. 13th. Called in 3 days and 350 miles later reporting it had reverse issues. I asked questions. Never made the claim official. Now as of today they are not going to claim my reverse problem. Only going to warranty my AC problem. They said it can be determined as a pre-existing problem before purchasing the car. Kinda disappointed about it, but at the same time the reverse problem wasn't a big issue where I can't use it. Only time it does not go into gear is if the shifter has been in neutral. Sometimes it will go in, sometimes it will grind then go in and other times it won't go in. When I go from 1st to to reverse it fixes the problem and never has made a grinding noise or not gone in. So now I have a piece of mind that getting it replaced is going to be $1300 parts and labor. $500 of it being parts. The shop owner joked and said "Well hey maybe if something else breaks on the tranny. You can just pay for parts and get it fixed at that time without paying for labor and fluids." I laughed. Thats my story.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:30 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Had this problem years ago with a 4 speed box. Try having the tranny drained, flushed and filled with a high quality oil. Also make sure the clutch is disengaging fully and your pushing the pedal down far enough.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mickey5
Had this problem years ago with a 4 speed box. Try having the tranny drained, flushed and filled with a high quality oil. Also make sure the clutch is disengaging fully and your pushing the pedal down far enough.
Its more of it not wanting to go into gear. I don't want to press it too hard and bend something. Btw its on a 06 Z so its a T-56. I have been getting by doing the into 1st then reverse method for about 9 months now. Might change it to 5th gear instead since 5th does not get used as much as 1st.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
...Bought the warranty...Called in 3 days...later...
Most third-party warranties aren't known for stepping up when needed. I would have lived with the problem for at least a month (or longer) and then brought it up to them. Submitting a claim that soon after buying a policy probably throws up every red flag possible.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
Most third-party warranties aren't known for stepping up when needed. I would have lived with the problem for at least a month (or longer) and then brought it up to them. Submitting a claim that soon after buying a policy probably throws up every red flag possible.
Yea. This was my first 3rd party warranty. I was never sent warranty papers to go over their rules, etc. Never got anything in the mail. I was also never told I had to wait 30 days to make a claim. Thing was though I called in just to let them know of my prob. I never actually made the claim. My first claim was this past friday for my ac compressor and this reverse prob. Of course I called in to ask questions on what I need to do. It just seems kinda shady. I mean anything can happen in 3 days with a mechanical part. I trusted my credit union since they recommended this place. Sucks though, but at least I still can use reverse when throwing it in another gear first then into reverse.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:37 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 273 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

OP, in my opinion this is just the way a lot of manual transmissions act, not just Corvette. I'm in the habit of always shifting to first before reverse. Don't let the clutch out, just do the shift.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:23 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Harry
OP, in my opinion this is just the way a lot of manual transmissions act, not just Corvette. I'm in the habit of always shifting to first before reverse. Don't let the clutch out, just do the shift.
Thats exactly what I do. I am not that worried about it unless it really doesn't start going into gear like I do now. I just wanted to knock out 2 birds with 1 stone with that claim. I'll just keep putting it into another gear first then into reverse while holding clutch in.

Get notified of new replies

To 3rd party warranty not taking my claim.

Quick Reply: 3rd party warranty not taking my claim.