C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Gumby's vs. reproduction wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 12:26 PM
WillieWalt
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Gumby's vs. reproduction wheels

I recently hit a pothole in my '09 and bent my lf and lr wheels. My question is: what is the difference (besides price) between the oem wheels and the factory reproduction wheels?

I went to the dealer and they want close to $3000 for the two wheels.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:40 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieWalt
I recently hit a pothole in my '09 and bent my lf and lr wheels. My question is: what is the difference (besides price) between the oem wheels and the factory reproduction wheels?

I went to the dealer and they want close to $3000 for the two wheels.
Usually reproduction wheels are just appearance wise the same. They may use different quality materials, have slightly different design elements, and be made in totally different ways.

The Gumbys are forged wheels, which is an expensive process but yields a very strong, but lightweight wheel. Most wheels are cast, which is not as strong and so requires more material and thus is heavier.

How bad are they bent? Bending a forged wheel is kinda hard, I'd think it'd have to be a HUGE pothole with high speed to bend a forged wheel. You may be able to just have the wheel fixed, I've heard of places that can reshape the barrel and take the bend out of the barrel of the wheel.

I'd be more inclined to buy a used set of OEM Gumbys if it was me. But honestly, I'd think the alignment would get knocked out of spec before the wheels were bent.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:23 PM
WillieWalt
Cruising

To clarify, it wasn't actually a pothole. The highway was milled about 4" down. The construction company used temp patch at a concrete bridge and the patch didn't last. Needless to say, 70 mph into that lip bent the wheels. I haven't had the alignment checked yet.

I'd prefer to pick up some nice used oem wheels. I appreciate the tip on getting them straightened. Ill look into that.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:26 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Usually reproduction wheels are just appearance wise the same. They may use different quality materials, have slightly different design elements, and be made in totally different ways.

The Gumbys are forged wheels, which is an expensive process but yields a very strong, but lightweight wheel. Most wheels are cast, which is not as strong and so requires more material and thus is heavier.

How bad are they bent? Bending a forged wheel is kinda hard, I'd think it'd have to be a HUGE pothole with high speed to bend a forged wheel. You may be able to just have the wheel fixed, I've heard of places that can reshape the barrel and take the bend out of the barrel of the wheel.

I'd be more inclined to buy a used set of OEM Gumbys if it was me. But honestly, I'd think the alignment would get knocked out of spec before the wheels were bent.
I'd agree w. above. I'd also suggest you talk with Bob of House of Wheels, a forum sponsor, who frequently has take offs. No matter what you do, if you do get either used gumbys or repros, find out the process: do you have to (I'd suggest it) spin the wheels first on a balancer w/o a tire on it and NOT mount the wheel to tire and assembly to car? who pays for shipping back if wheel is/does not balance? what is return of money policy?

Regardless, I would not put repros on just the LF and LR; I'd either replace all four w. repros, or find two, new, original equipment gumbys for LF and LR.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:29 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

To clarify, it wasn't actually a pothole. The highway was milled about 4" down. The construction company used temp patch at a concrete bridge and the patch didn't last. Needless to say, 70 mph into that lip bent the wheels. I haven't had the alignment checked yet.

I'd prefer to pick up some nice used oem wheels. I appreciate the tip on getting them straightened. Ill look into that.
Why don't you file a claim with the state and/or the construction company?

I've heard from several sources, but can't verify from personal experience, that if you damage your car by hitting a pothole (or poor construction practices might be the same) in my state, the city/county/state is/are liable for damages.

You might also consider an insurance claim.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:34 PM
WillieWalt
Cruising

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Why don't you file a claim with the state and/or the construction company?

I've heard from several sources, but can't verify from personal experience, that if you damage your car by hitting a pothole (or poor construction practices might be the same) in my state, the city/county/state is/are liable for damages.

You might also consider an insurance claim.
I've filed a claim. I'm just waiting for a resolution. Hopefully, they replace with OEM wheels. That's why I was asking about reproduction wheels; in case they try to get me those. Thanks again for the advice!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:17 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I've filed a claim. I'm just waiting for a resolution. Hopefully, they replace with OEM wheels. That's why I was asking about reproduction wheels; in case they try to get me those. Thanks again for the advice!
Insist on OEMs. That's what was ruined by something that was their (company or government) fault. If they give you a hard time, point out the differences in construction and the attendant safety differences.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Insist on OEMs. That's what was ruined by something that was their (company or government) fault. If they give you a hard time, point out the differences in construction and the attendant safety differences.

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Gumby's vs. reproduction wheels

Quick Reply: Factory Gumby's vs. reproduction wheels