C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle Shifter won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:19 PM
MP35N
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle Shifter won't shift

I've searched everywhere but didn't find any answer to this one.

I ave an 08 automatic LT1 and just finished re-applying the dielectric grease to the Steering Wheel Position Sensor. It seems to work great so far. Took it for a few mile spin to lunch without any problems or codes. I always drive using the paddle shifters and the car has been professionally tuned years ago to shift quicker among other things.

After lunch, the display would not switch into the manual/number mode and stayed in automatic. I can put it into park and back into sport and can shift it into either 1st or 2nd, but not into any gear while moving! The display will stay in auto and stuck in gear if I try to shift while moving.

I have jiggled all the connecters under there with no help.

What does the paddle shift system connector look like and could this just be coincidence since it easily shifts into gear when parked?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2013, 05:35 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 820 Likes on 389 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I am by no way an expert on this, but I would say that there is an issue with a contact point on the up shift paddles. I would start there. Hopeful it will be a simple fix.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:30 PM
JJGOLD
Advanced

I don't know where the steering wheel sensor is in relation to the paddle shifters, but I do know that dielectric grease is a NON-CONDUCTOR and that could possibly be related.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

whats a paddle shifter?...j/k...no clue OP good luck
Old 09-16-2013, 06:51 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 556 Likes on 339 Posts

Mine did a similar thing a few years ago. After shutting the car down and letting it sit for a few min. I started it back up and everything was fine. I guessing the computer reset whatever was out of wack...FWIW.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:39 PM
MP35N
Instructor

Default Lucas the English God of Darkeness struck again

Thanks for the idea Jimmie Jam. Letting it sit did not help, but disconnecting the battery did. Go figure. After spending a lot of time digging and sweating under the dash it turned out to be something else.

Hope this post helps anyone else that runs into this.

I think that my ECU may be heading south. A few weeks ago I cleaned off the battery with baking soda and water the way I used to since time began. Since then I have a new battery, but I've found out that the computer is under the battery tray. Wonderful.

The last few days it idles very roughly when starting out, as if the torque converter is locked up at low rpm. A minute later it's OK, but I'm starting to wonder if these gremlins are related.

Get notified of new replies

To Paddle Shifter won't shift

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifter won't shift