C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport question

Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Grand Sport question

Does a GS drive/handle any differently than a regular C6 coupe?

I've never driven a GS, but have had both C5 and C6 regular bodies.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Since the GS came out for 2010, any GS will have the improved power steering components that showed up in 2008 and 2009.

Also, before the GS there was the Z51 suspension, which disappeared from the base car and re-appeared (slightly modified) in the GS. And then in 2011(?), the F55 magnetic ride suspension became available on the GS as an option.

So there are different versions of each car to be compared, which would somewhat effect the comparison.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:42 PM
joehenry
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 09 C6 (non GS). I really like the looks of the GS and for a while I was wishing I had waited and purchased one in stead of my skinny 09. That was until my friend had to replace his tires on his GS after 15,000 miles. I have 8,000 on my 09 and the Goodyear run flats look like new. But I still think the GS is a real looker. LOL
Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 PM
DillingerRadio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

The F55 Magride option was available in 2010.

The GS will handle better than the base coupe. It's installed with the former Z51 sport package (modified for the purposes of the Grand Sport badge), which includes upgraded sway bars, suspension, and larger wheel base (including wider rear wheels).

I'm sure a google search for a comparison will turn up valuable information for you. But in the meantime, this has been discussed before:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...and-sport.html

[EDIT]
JoeHenry the tire replacement issue is likely a combination of two factors: one, your friend's driving is likely more aggressive than most; two, the cars come with a fairly aggressive alignment from the factory which causes premature wear on the tire. It's designed to handle curves better, but lacks longevity for people who drive the car as a daily without hitting the track too frequently. I recommend your friend see about having it realigned. You can find several threads on the forum regarding alignment suggestions that strike a balance between tracking and daily driving.

Last edited by DillingerRadio; 03-10-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 190 Posts

The simple answer to your question is yes, the GS is a significant upgrade over the basic coupe and convertible, even ones equipped with the Z51 package.

Wider wheels, wider and better tires, stiffer springs, stiffer sway bars, upgraded shocks, wider chassis, wider track, wider front (with unique venting) and rear fenders, front and rear brake ducts, ZO6 brakes and ZO6 style front bumper cover. The manual Grand Sport coupes come with the ZO6 dry sump system, forged crankshaft and hand assembled LS3 engine built by the same folks who build the LS7 and LS9. And most important (to some, anyway) Grand Sport badging and optional Heritage Package with front fender stripes and Grand Sport logos on the head rests.

The GS is admired for its appearance, performance and especially it's value. The GS is a lot more car for not that much more money. The GS is also a great platform for performance mods such as supercharging or heads/cam/headers/tuning.

So yea, it's different.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:14 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
The simple answer to your question is yes, the GS is a significant upgrade over the basic coupe and convertible, even ones equipped with the Z51 package.

Wider wheels, wider and better tires, stiffer springs, stiffer sway bars, upgraded shocks, wider chassis, wider track, wider front (with unique venting) and rear fenders, front and rear brake ducts, ZO6 brakes and ZO6 style front bumper cover. The manual Grand Sport coupes come with the ZO6 dry sump system, forged crankshaft and hand assembled LS3 engine built by the same folks who build the LS7 and LS9. And most important (to some, anyway) Grand Sport badging and optional Heritage Package with front fender stripes and Grand Sport logos on the head rests.

The GS is admired for its appearance, performance and especially it's value. The GS is a lot more car for not that much more money. The GS is also a great platform for performance mods such as supercharging or heads/cam/headers/tuning.

So yea, it's different.
When I bought my GS a couple of months ago, I was shocked at how relatively poor it rode and handled. After replacing the factory GY tires with Nittos a couple of weeks later, the car was transformed into exactly what it should be: the best riding and handling Corvette I've ever owned. No doubt the C7 is even better, but I prefer the styling of the C6:
Attached Images   

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 03-11-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg

Do an "advanced search" for my profile name, and you will find some posts on "first impressions", when I traded in my 2008 C6 for a 2011 Grand Sport. If I get time later, I'll edit this post and include the direct link.

EDIT - here's some light reading:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...o-2011-gs.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ran-sport.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...z51-vs-gs.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-with-gs.html

Last edited by Seadawg; 03-11-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added links from searching
Old 03-11-2014, 08:52 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DillingerRadio
The F55 Magride option was available in 2010.

The GS will handle better than the base coupe. It's installed with the former Z51 sport package (modified for the purposes of the Grand Sport badge), which includes upgraded sway bars, suspension, and larger wheel base (including wider rear wheels).

I'm sure a google search for a comparison will turn up valuable information for you. But in the meantime, this has been discussed before:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...and-sport.html

[EDIT]
JoeHenry the tire replacement issue is likely a combination of two factors: one, your friend's driving is likely more aggressive than most; two, the cars come with a fairly aggressive alignment from the factory which causes premature wear on the tire. It's designed to handle curves better, but lacks longevity for people who drive the car as a daily without hitting the track too frequently. I recommend your friend see about having it realigned. You can find several threads on the forum regarding alignment suggestions that strike a balance between tracking and daily driving.
Got to make one correction to above statement; F55 Magnetic Ride Option was NOT available in the 2010 model year. Magnetic Ride was offered as an available option beginning with the 2011 and later models.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:26 AM
DillingerRadio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by jovette
Got to make one correction to above statement; F55 Magnetic Ride Option was NOT available in the 2010 model year. Magnetic Ride was offered as an available option beginning with the 2011 and later models.
Yes it most certainly was. I recall specifically almost selecting that as an option on my GS while I was underway.

[EDIT]
Wait, correcting myself. It WAS an option, but I was looking at the ZR1 before I went with the GS. I got the two mixed up! It was not an option on the GS proper until 2011, but was available on the ZR1 in 2010. Thanks Jovette!

Last edited by DillingerRadio; 03-11-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,956 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think it was available on the base Z51 Corvette but the early 2010's GS's did not have the option. My car (#1834) made on Sept 22 of 09 did not have the option available. I wish it had been. They probably introduced it in later in the 2010 production run.....

Ok I see your edit.......that's what I was thinking.....

Last edited by Huskerman; 03-11-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:53 PM
jwrichter
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
When I bought my GS a couple of months ago, I was shocked at how relatively poor it rode and handled. After replacing the factory GY tires with Nittos a couple of weeks later, the car was transformed into exactly what it should be: the best riding and handling Corvette I've ever owned. No doubt the C7 is even better, but I prefer the styling of the C6:
I agree!!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 03:07 PM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by joehenry
I have a 09 C6 (non GS). I really like the looks of the GS and for a while I was wishing I had waited and purchased one in stead of my skinny 09. That was until my friend had to replace his tires on his GS after 15,000 miles. I have 8,000 on my 09 and the Goodyear run flats look like new. But I still think the GS is a real looker. LOL
The Goodyears that came on my 2009 only lasted 20,000 and that was pushing it. Tire life depends on Alignment and driving style. If you use the Pfadt Street alignment specs your tires will last longer. My second set did.

BobD
Old 03-11-2014, 05:06 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,184 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

My 2013 GS with F55 was the best riding & handling Vette I've owned, however replacing the stock Goodyears was also a major improvement. I went from the 18/19 wheels with GY F1:G2 tires to the Cup wheels in 19/20 with Michelins and noticed an immediate improvement in ride, noise reduction and traction (and that was with only 5-6K miles on the GYs).

Anyway, back to the original question, yes it does ride & handle differently depending on what suspension the GS and stock C6 has, but even C6 Z51 vs base GS (basically the same suspension) it will still handle better as the steering was improved and because of the wide wheels/tires.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:32 PM
roadhog08
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi - Noticed you put nitto's on your grand sport. I am in the process of looking for non-run flats for my '12 GS. Looks like I'll be going with the Nitto Invo's. I sold my "08 at the end of last year which I put Hancooks on. Purchased my "12 in Dec. with 6500 miles on it. I now have 7500 on it and can't wait to dump the GY run flats ! I couldn't believe what a difference the Hancook's made on my "08 and I anticipate the same happening on my "12 GS. For the life of me I can't believe more corvette owners don't replace their stock tires with non run flats. It totally changes the ride of the car, not to mention lessens the tire noise ! By the way, where did you purchase your tires. I found for my '08 that I got the best deal at discount tire. Take care. Great looking car by the way !!

Frank
Old 03-11-2014, 11:42 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by roadhog08
Hi - Noticed you put nitto's on your grand sport. I am in the process of looking for non-run flats for my '12 GS. Looks like I'll be going with the Nitto Invo's. I sold my "08 at the end of last year which I put Hancooks on. Purchased my "12 in Dec. with 6500 miles on it. I now have 7500 on it and can't wait to dump the GY run flats ! I couldn't believe what a difference the Hancook's made on my "08 and I anticipate the same happening on my "12 GS. For the life of me I can't believe more corvette owners don't replace their stock tires with non run flats. It totally changes the ride of the car, not to mention lessens the tire noise ! By the way, where did you purchase your tires. I found for my '08 that I got the best deal at discount tire. Take care. Great looking car by the way !!

Frank
Thanks!

Discount Tire. Consistently good prices and excellent work. I can't speak for their longevity, but the ride and handling with these tires is exceptional.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg

I've had both a Z51 and now have a GS. IMO, bottom line is, your average driver won't know the difference. Other than the worse driving manners of the GS from its wider wheels and tires.

The GS is definitely stiffer, and the wider wheels and tires make it follow grooves in the road more. The brakes are definitely better, and it has more grip, but unless you're really beating on it on a track/autocross, you'll never notice this.

So IMO, unless you're going to track or autocross the car (and even then - most drivers can't take advantage of the extra limits), you're really only getting the appearance factor with the GS. For some that's worth it - it was for me even though I do plan to use mine for autocrossing and track days. If you're not going to, and the appearance doesn't sway you, the base cars, even z51 which is stiffer than the base suspension, is a much more comfortable cruiser.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:47 AM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I've had both a Z51 and now have a GS. IMO, bottom line is, your average driver won't know the difference. Other than the worse driving manners of the GS from its wider wheels and tires.

The GS is definitely stiffer, and the wider wheels and tires make it follow grooves in the road more. The brakes are definitely better, and it has more grip, but unless you're really beating on it on a track/autocross, you'll never notice this.

So IMO, unless you're going to track or autocross the car (and even then - most drivers can't take advantage of the extra limits), you're really only getting the appearance factor with the GS. For some that's worth it - it was for me even though I do plan to use mine for autocrossing and track days. If you're not going to, and the appearance doesn't sway you, the base cars, even z51 which is stiffer than the base suspension, is a much more comfortable cruiser.

Still running the GY runflats?

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport question

Old 03-12-2014, 06:59 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The Grand Sport should handle and brake better than the standard Corvette. In theory it has some significant advantages. I am kinda surprised there are not some comparison numbers from the track. Sme driver and conditions thing.

Wait.... Didn't a magazine compare all four models with the C6R two or three years ago. The numbers should be there.

Matt
Old 03-12-2014, 07:54 AM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks!

Discount Tire. Consistently good prices and excellent work. I can't speak for their longevity, but the ride and handling with these tires is exceptional.
Just bought Michelin Pilot Super Sports from Discount Tire for $1472. Considered the Nitto Invo's for $195 less. The Michelins have a better wear rating and 30k warranty so went with them. Much better than the original goodyears I replaced at 15k.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 AM
The Creeper
Race Director

Received 83 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BROCKYJACK
Just bought Michelin Pilot Super Sports from Discount Tire for $1472. Considered the Nitto Invo's for $195 less. The Michelins have a better wear rating and 30k warranty so went with them. Much better than the original goodyears I replaced at 15k.
Same tires on my GS. I like them much better than the GY OE tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grand Sport question