C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non Run Flat Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:25 AM
CABO-Z16
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non Run Flat Question

2012 GS needs new tires. Right rear Goodyear Run Flat cannot be repaired. Local Chevy dealer (who is great for service) will install non run flats if I bring them in however, will not sell them to me due to "liability." Thoughts?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I just installed the Bridgestone Potenza S0-4 Pole Setter, a non RF tire and love them.

Your call and I have gone back and forth between the RF and non a few times. Mostly due to purchasing different rims with tires on them.

At this point I will never go the RF again unless they can make vast improvements on ride and noise.

I carry a 12v compressor and a can of slime with a tire repair kit. I am ready.....and am enjoying better performance out of my new tires. The car is more civil now regarding noise and ride.

Some will say that the Micheline RF does this now and I have not tried the tire and am sceptical at best. I do not doubt that they may handle better but noise and ride would be hard to believe.

My S0-4's cost me $862 out the door mounted. It is a max performance summer tire with a 320 wear rating.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:10 AM
etaylor14
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Non run flats for me!!! I have Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 and love them!!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by CABO-Z16
2012 GS needs new tires. Right rear Goodyear Run Flat cannot be repaired. Local Chevy dealer (who is great for service) will install non run flats if I bring them in however, will not sell them to me due to "liability." Thoughts?
More and more places are refusing to install "non-runflats", but a lot out here on the forum use them with no issues. I've stayed "run-flat" because I'll occassionally drive long distances, and I seem to find those nails and bolts on the highway. They will repair a runflat up to 2 times, as long as the puncture is not too close to the sidewalls. Been there, done that, have the hat and T-shirt.

My only recommendation is IF you decide to go non-runflat, that you change all 4 tires.

The sidewall stiffness will make the car handle differently is the reasoning.

Good luck for either way you decide to go.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Yes there is a change regarding initial turn in due to the softer side wall on the none RF tire. It is most apparent on the first few turns then the learning center adjusts, ours not the cars!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:10 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Once my OEM RF GY F1 Supercars began to get too noisy, and just downright dangerous in the rain, I switched to Non Runflat Firestone tires. They were like night and day in road noise, good handling in dry and especially in wet road conditions. They lasted for 30K miles and many long road trips.
I carried a compressor, some tire plugs and a can of slime, a pair of side cutter pliers just in case.
I picked up 1 nail and 1 screw, and was able to fix both using the tire plug kit.

I was actually thinking of going back to a set of runflats, then I remembered how much I disliked them the first time.
I decide to go with the same non run flats. We still do lot's of long road trips, but I'm not worried in the least.

It's your call, good luck in whatever u decide
Old 09-13-2013, 11:20 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I just installed the Bridgestone Potenza S0-4 Pole Setter, a non RF tire and love them.

Your call and I have gone back and forth between the RF and non a few times. Mostly due to purchasing different rims with tires on them.

At this point I will never go the RF again unless they can make vast improvements on ride and noise.

I carry a 12v compressor and a can of slime with a tire repair kit. I am ready.....and am enjoying better performance out of my new tires. The car is more civil now regarding noise and ride.

Some will say that the Micheline RF does this now and I have not tried the tire and am sceptical at best. I do not doubt that they may handle better but noise and ride would be hard to believe.

My S0-4's cost me $862 out the door mounted. It is a max performance summer tire with a 320 wear rating.
I just put those on mine 2 days ago. I'm holding judgement until 1,000 miles. The tread design looks like it'd be an excellent rain tire, which is so highly desired here in the desert. Previous tires were OEM GY RF, then Nitto Invos, then Mich A/S ZP, then Invos again. My cost was higher, due to the recycle tax in AZ and the mistake I made in buying from a dealer in the highest sales tax city in the entire state.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I also have 2012 GS and it was the same tire and Dealer said same thing, but Goodyear said one time only. So I plugged it myself. Now I do not plan on pushing the limits of this tire anyway and they do not last very long either with 220 treadwear number. I got two rears from a friend with 8k on them and they almost aren't worth the trouble of being home. His front insides were the reason he changed tires at 8k miles.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

this topic comes up every other day...

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Amazing grip
Absolutely stunning performance in the rain
Great tire life

/end thread/
Old 09-13-2013, 02:46 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

I use hankook v12 evos non run flat. Theyvare great tires. I'm actually now on my second set of rears.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111

I am curious about your ride and noise comments. I run Firehawk rft's on my vette, and they are VERY quiet with a smooth ride. They are just as smooth and quiet as the tires on my wife's Accord. I'm not sure how much quieter they could be. What kind of rft's were you running?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 448 Likes on 335 Posts

I've been running Nitto Invo's for the past 5 years & love them. Much quieter than the GY Supercars &, in my opinion, equal or better road grip. I do carry a plug kit & small 12v compressor, but never have had to use them.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by Red08
I am curious about your ride and noise comments. I run Firehawk rft's on my vette, and they are VERY quiet with a smooth ride. They are just as smooth and quiet as the tires on my wife's Accord. I'm not sure how much quieter they could be. What kind of rft's were you running?
The 08 OEM 1LT coupe tire as well as the Z51 tire, both GY. I ran the Invos too for awhile but in wider sizes 275/305.

I thought hard about the Firestone RF but decided to go with the Pole Setters. The V12's where in the running to initially but after further research where dropped.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I just put those on mine 2 days ago. I'm holding judgement until 1,000 miles. The tread design looks like it'd be an excellent rain tire, which is so highly desired here in the desert. Previous tires were OEM GY RF, then Nitto Invos, then Mich A/S ZP, then Invos again. My cost was higher, due to the recycle tax in AZ and the mistake I made in buying from a dealer in the highest sales tax city in the entire state.
Ya I do not need the rain aspect either and it is a strong point of the tire. nevertheless I like the tires a lot.

for your final review comparing with the others used.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:22 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

The dealer's proposition sounds good to me. You can no doubt get your tires a lot cheaper than the dealer, and if they'll install them, all the better. They should have all the right equipment.

I can see the liability issue. They are pretty constrained by GM (and I suppose the NTSB and maybe other government agencies) so it's probably reasonable that they can't sell non runflats.

That said, on a previous Vette I had Michelin runflats and also Michelin non-runflats and honestly couldn't tell the difference in road noise when the RFs were new. They got a little noisy toward the end of their life though. But, even then, they were not as noisy as the Goodyear RFs when the the GYs were new.

Michelin is a great tire. And it's also expensive, but really no more than the OEM Goodyears. Don't know about Bridgestone and the others because I haven't tried them.

Get notified of new replies

To Non Run Flat Question

Quick Reply: Non Run Flat Question