C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? C6 CONVERTIBLE owners-"parade car"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 04:15 PM
ODEN2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ? C6 CONVERTIBLE owners-"parade car"?

Have any CONVERTIBLE owners used their cars in a parade to carry beauty queens? Back in the sixties we all did it all the time in Detroit Iron and British sports cars, but I've never actually seen a C6 vert with people sitting on the tonneau cover.

Anybody know if a C6 tonneau will support a 100 lb young lady for a small town parade (2-3 miles)?

Any GOOD, RELEVANT advice/comments would be appreciated.

This a small town, we go to church together and son-in-law works with the father, so "NO" means I'm a mean-spirited old goat (often TRUE), but I don't want to do any damage to my vert.

Not that it matters, but it is a 427, 60th anniversary, white with blue stripe and ZR-1 chrome rims, convertible. The teenyboppers think it's "cool" and so does this old geezer.

charles
Old 09-12-2013, 04:24 PM
REDFIVE48
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been wondering about this myself, hopefully someone will answer for us
Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

Actually there are other pitfalls beside the tonneau. Many a person has had their leather damaged by the ladies in their high heals puncturing their seats. I think you will be fine if you through a towel over the seats and center console while they get "mounted" and perhaps it would be nice to give them a towel or cushion to sit on. Just don't suddenly accelerate if you car is well Zaino'ed - they will go slipping off the back ala "Animal House"!

Best to ask them to remove their shoes to prevent anything. Underwear is optional!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:31 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I have used mine many many times in the local homecoming parade transporting the teacher of the year. I put a blanket on the tonneau cover and had the "young" lady remove her shoes and showed her how to wave. The Vert always got more waves than the teacher.... Oh and one other thing....If she is wearing a dress .... MAKE SURE SHE SITS SIDEWAYS or adjust your mirror DOWN.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 PM
ODEN2
Advanced

Please don't go there with the underwear optional, I'm WAY to old to wind up in prison on a "statuary" charge, might wind up with a roomie named BUTCH or something.

charles (don't bet MY booty)
Old 09-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have done a quite a number of Nascar/Indy Driver Parades with the drivers on the back. Some sit and others stand up and lean back.

To protect my cover, I went to Bed/Bath/Beyond and bought a roll of Shelf Liner. Then I put a towel over it. Here is a Pic of John Andretti. You can see my setup. Never have had a problem.

For a beauty queen, I would have them remove their heals.

Hope that helps

Ryan Briscoe . Indy

Last edited by Wildmanht; 09-12-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

I have used my car in the local Homecoming Parade a couple of times with no problems. I did not cover the tounneau with anything with no problem.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 PM
ODEN2
Advanced

Default Bill (Wildmanht)

Thanks a lot for the picture, John A. is no giant, but he is bigger than most 15-16 year old coeds. Also noticed the great looking luggage rack, which I see is available from YOU (plug).

I asked some people about one for my 04 C5 a few years ago but no joy back then. Verts are just not adequate for top down long distance travel for 2 people, and the C6 with that speaker enclosure-divider thingy behind the waterfall is worse than the C5.

I'll have to collect some roadside aluminum cans and see if I can get me one of them things, only had the 427 since April and the check book ain't recovered yet!

I appreciate all the GOOD responses from my fellow CFers. Sometimes a serious question evokes "asinine" responses.

charles

Last edited by ODEN2; 09-12-2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-12-2013, 06:20 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

If I were in your shoes, I would have no reservation about doing it. when the young lady gets in, she does so with shoes off, and puts them on once seated. She is seated on some form of pad, both to protect your paint, and to protect her dress.

In fact, I will be driving mine in the Miss USA parade this year with the same setup, if only they would ask before I wake up.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:41 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

Riding the clutch may be tough. Seems an auto would work better. Have fun.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:43 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Been there, done that, would do it again...no problems. 200 pound mayor.

And a few more people including Ashley Judd....doesn't look like a problem either. 7 people in a Vert.

Last edited by cclive; 09-12-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 PM
pleadingbark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had no issues with my wife on it during the wedding
Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 PM
crtaylor59
Advanced

I took around for a parade lap when she was driving an indy car at Texas Motor Speedway. She was a nice lady....
Old 09-12-2013, 10:31 PM
genair
Instructor

I appreciate all the GOOD responses from my fellow CFers. Sometimes a serious question evokes "asinine" responses.

charles[/QUOTE]

WOW - somebody needs to lighten up and get a sense of humor
Old 09-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Baxter's Dad
Advanced

Originally Posted by ODEN2
Thanks a lot for the picture, John A. is no giant, but he is bigger than most 15-16 year old coeds. Also noticed the great looking luggage rack, which I see is available from YOU (plug).

I asked some people about one for my 04 C5 a few years ago but no joy back then. Verts are just not adequate for top down long distance travel for 2 people, and the C6 with that speaker enclosure-divider thingy behind the waterfall is worse than the C5.
If you can't fit all your luggage in a 'Vert with the top down then you're taking too much stuff.
We learned to pack while doing long distance touring on our Harley Ultra.
We each had one saddle bag, with the tour-pac trunk being used for incidentals and rain suits. It was challenging at first, packing ten days worth into a small bag, but with experience it becomes easy.
The trunk on a top down "Vert looks like the back of a Suburban after those saddle bags.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ODEN2

I'll have to collect some roadside aluminum cans and see if I can get me one of them things, only had the 427 since April and the check book ain't recovered yet!

charles
Have fun doing the parade! When you are ready just let me know on the Rack.

I realized early this year that the rack also fits on a C5 vert (wish I tested that years ago. lol). The trunk dimension from front to back is the same. I just have to find someone with a C5 vert to double check on seeing if the tonneau cover goes up and down with no problem.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:45 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Baxter's Dad
If you can't fit all your luggage in a 'Vert with the top down then you're taking too much stuff.
We learned to pack while doing long distance touring on our Harley Ultra.
We each had one saddle bag, with the tour-pac trunk being used for incidentals and rain suits. It was challenging at first, packing ten days worth into a small bag, but with experience it becomes easy.
The trunk on a top down "Vert looks like the back of a Suburban after those saddle bags.
Have done lots of trips with the top down the whole way.

Get notified of new replies

To ? C6 CONVERTIBLE owners-"parade car"?

Old 09-13-2013, 09:05 PM
ODEN2
Advanced

Unfortunately, some of us have a LOT of medical gear/medicines etc which have to go along (only necessary if you plan on living for more than another day or two). Hope it never happens to you "light packers" but the geezer and his geezette plan on living a looonngg time and enjoying it all we can!

Add to that a lot of camera gear (DSLR and several lenses, filters, batteries and hard drives) and that trunk gets real small in a hurry before the clean undies and socks.

The C5 actually had more room than the 427, that panel with the speakers behind the waterfall prevents one from putting soft gear on the shelf behind the seats, might consider removing it, I don't need the rear speakers anyway, I prefer to hear that motor!

charles
Old 09-14-2013, 08:02 AM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Apparently last year in Stuart, Fl., there was a homecoming parade with the Queen and her court riding on top. I was out of the country and couldn't participate. There must have been some issue as this year they have asked our club to supply verts again and have promised only adults will be transported and they will be seated in the passenger seat. The girls will be transported in other vehicles, probably full size convertibles.

I don't know if the issue was damage or danger. It had to be something serious as they have only two cars volunteering so far. Fortunately I have a conflict, but I have no close contact with any of the families as you do.

You had better set the ground rules like no standing up, moving around etc.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:01 PM
bluedogok
Advanced

Originally Posted by garye
Riding the clutch may be tough. Seems an auto would work better. Have fun.
Did a few parades when I worked at a Lotus dealership in the mid-80's, a Esprit Turbo gets a little cantankerous going so slow. The worst was some of the old cars though, a 1923 Rolls-Royce (RHD) had a pretty stiff clutch and the shifter was up against the door.

Quick Reply: ? C6 CONVERTIBLE owners-"parade car"?