C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership has me in a pickle!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishSpuds
Thanks for serving - much appreciated.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:39 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 837 Likes on 396 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Two observations:

The vast majority of Vette owners aren't on this or any other forum and probably have never heard this, but have no problems.

My '08 has never had Techron added and it's never had a problem. My gas most likely comes from the same refineries as the OP.

I'm in agreement with the OP; it's unacceptable in a 2012 model year car, and since it's still under warranty there's no way I'd start throwing money at bandaid fixes to see if something solves it. If Techron is the magic solution, Chevy should pay for it for the OP since the car is still under warranty.

It amazes me how Vette owners will defend their cars vehemently but at the same time accept things like constant dead batteries, fuel guage problems, etc. as acceptable.

I suspect real supercars don't need Techron for their fuel guage to operate correctly.
I was not trying to say that this was a fix. I agree 100% that the dealer needs to address it if possible and if not try another dealership. I was simply saying that a bottle of Techron is inexpensive and was something to think about, if he and the dealership could not solve the issue.
You are most likely correct, in the fact that Supercars don't need to add anything to the fuel, but then again these are not supercars.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Originally Posted by MilehiDenver
I appreciate the feed back, but have one issue. Although money is not an issue, based on principle alone, I feel weird that I should have to add techron, or a new gas cap! Should the car not perform correctly without me having to take additional steps on my own? Is that to much to ask?
Not too much to ask at all. Have you elevated your concern to the Service Manager, if not do so. If that does no good, I would contact GM and keep running it up the line until someone takes some positive action. You should not have to find possible fixes on your own.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by BWF07
I was not trying to say that this was a fix. I agree 100% that the dealer needs to address it if possible and if not try another dealership. I was simply saying that a bottle of Techron is inexpensive and was something to think about, if he and the dealership could not solve the issue.
You are most likely correct, in the fact that Supercars don't need to add anything to the fuel, but then again these are not supercars.
My supercar comment is because of another thread about that subject here right now.

Techron may help, but to me that's unacceptable, just like buying a battery tender instead of fixing a battery drain problem is unacceptable. I'm just surprised how many Vette owners accept those excuses, because they are excuses, not valid reasons.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I would say gas cap as others here have, but on the forum, the gas cap has never caused the gauge to go to zero...it has only caused the DIC warning. While I agree that you should not have to do anything yourself, like Techron or a new gas cap, I would also suggest that you consider the value of your time in dealing with this. If things get worse, you could start documenting carefully with video etc and then begin down the 'lemon law' path. This will be an even bigger use of your time though.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Intermittent problems are the most frustrating to solve for the technician AND the customer. The video may help, but if a technician can't duplicate your concern, their options are limited. The dealer just can't start throwing new parts at it if the car behaves normally when they have it (although it sounds like that's what they are doing now). Techs aren't miracle workers, and they generally are not going to get paid to go over your car for hours to find a condition that they can't replicate.

"Raising hell" with the service manager isn't going to solve this problem...but it may get them to start "throwing parts" at the problem so it looks like they are doing something. If at all possible, drive the car until the condition re-occurs and then get it to them while the problem is happening.

I agree that Techron would be the first thing I would try. It's a cheap fix that has worked well for some members. Give it a shot, and keep documenting the problem.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 PM
FastVette85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost sounds like a bad Fuel Sending unit to me, the gauge will give false readings when it is bad. Hopefully you can get it worked out.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:46 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealership sounds untrustworthy. Try another. I got the same warning light a year ago in the summer and replaced the gas cap and bingo problem fixed. I also started using Techron too. No more lights and it runs like it should. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:29 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
Intermittent problems are the most frustrating to solve for the technician AND the customer. The video may help, but if a technician can't duplicate your concern, their options are limited. The dealer just can't start throwing new parts at it if the car behaves normally when they have it (although it sounds like that's what they are doing now). Techs aren't miracle workers, and they generally are not going to get paid to go over your car for hours to find a condition that they can't replicate.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I would say gas cap as others here have, but on the forum, the gas cap has never caused the gauge to go to zero...it has only caused the DIC warning. ...
A gas cap problem will not cause the gauge to go to empty. Sounds like a dealership that has no interest in dropping the gas tanks which is the recommended repair for the majority of issues that result in the gas gauge going to zero. No codes seems to confirm the dealership just doesn't want to be bothered. All the errors that result in a service message keep a record for at least several start-ups with no error.

As suggested above, get your own code reader. They are less than $100 and can be used on any newer car for many years to come. When you have the issue plug it in and read the codes. That will tell you exactly what the issue is and many times exactly which component needs to be replaced.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Top tier gas and add Techron to it the contacts get corrison on them and need cleaning off. Yes you have to have out of pocket for this would you want them to take a car apart.
I mean they may not have a good tech so I would look else where sounds like they don't know whats going on this is a document problem on the forum and the cure is techron if not then replace the sending units. High test 91 does not mean it has the right cleaners in it or enough to do the job, crap gas is the problem for everyone.
z51vett
Doug
Old 09-11-2013, 10:55 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
But don't get a GM one. They don't last, and even new, they never feel tight.

The last one I got was a Stant. So far, so good.
The dealer replaced 2 under warranty, message kept coming back. Bought a Stant about 18 months ago and no problems so far...
Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 AM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Two observations:

The vast majority of Vette owners aren't on this or any other forum and probably have never heard this, but have no problems.

My '08 has never had Techron added and it's never had a problem. My gas most likely comes from the same refineries as the OP.

I'm in agreement with the OP; it's unacceptable in a 2012 model year car, and since it's still under warranty there's no way I'd start throwing money at bandaid fixes to see if something solves it. If Techron is the magic solution, Chevy should pay for it for the OP since the car is still under warranty.

It amazes me how Vette owners will defend their cars vehemently but at the same time accept things like constant dead batteries, fuel guage problems, etc. as acceptable.

I suspect real supercars don't need Techron for their fuel guage to operate correctly.
It amazes me that..IF the fuel sender is working sporadically BECAUSE of fuel quality that people feel GM is responsible......or that the dealer is supposed to FIX something that is working properly when presented to them.....
Old 09-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SSWEET
It amazes me that..IF the fuel sender is working sporadically BECAUSE of fuel quality that people feel GM is responsible......or that the dealer is supposed to FIX something that is working properly when presented to them.....
The OP's car is a 2012. There is absolutely no evidence that fuel quality has anything to do with his problem. My gas comes from the same refineries his does; my gas gauge works perfect and I've never used Techron or any other additive in my '08.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:06 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Techron may help, but to me that's unacceptable, just like buying a battery tender instead of fixing a battery drain problem is unacceptable. I'm just surprised how many Vette owners accept those excuses, because they are excuses, not valid reasons.
Um,not excuses but viable,proven ways to fix or deal with 2 issues the Corvette has or had.GM isn't dealing with it so what other venue would you suggest?
Old 09-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Um,not excuses but viable,proven ways to fix or deal with 2 issues the Corvette has or had.GM isn't dealing with it so what other venue would you suggest?
There's some truth there, but I still have a problem bandaiding something GM should fix.

The original owner of my '08, who I know well, didn't accept the "All Corvettes drain their batteries, you need a battery tender" excuse from his dealer or GM. I have a very thick file where he tracked every comminication with them on that issue. He wouldn't take 'No' for an answer or accept their lame excuses or direction to get a battery tender. He's a retired EE so he knew there was a reason for the battery drain that could be found and fixed and he had lots of time to pursue it. He was relentless, and finally found a dealer that took the time to actually diagnose it. They found, and fixed, a problem. I've let it sit for a couple of months, unstarted and without a battery tender, and it's still charged.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:44 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's some truth there, but I still have a problem bandaiding something GM should fix.

The original owner of my '08, who I know well, didn't accept the "All Corvettes drain their batteries, you need a battery tender" excuse from his dealer or GM. I have a very thick file where he tracked every comminication with them on that issue. He wouldn't take 'No' for an answer or accept their lame excuses or direction to get a battery tender. He's a retired EE so he knew there was a reason for the battery drain that could be found and fixed and he had lots of time to pursue it. He was relentless, and finally found a dealer that took the time to actually diagnose it. They found, and fixed, a problem. I've let it sit for a couple of months, unstarted and without a battery tender, and it's still charged.
Why don't you let us in on the secret fix. Tell us what it was and help others. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
Why don't you let us in on the secret fix. Tell us what it was and help others. Thanks!
I've posted some info a while back in this post: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1583116613-post55.html

That entire thread is interesting between people saying there's no way a C6 can sit for more than a few weeks without a battery tender and others saying theirs has sat for far longer without one.

I literally have a file that's probably an inch thick with all the info from the OP about this issue. He had the typical C6 dead battery problem and both the dealer and GM said there was nothing wrong and he just needed a battery tender. If someone is really interested I could scan a bunch of the info into a pdf file; if you're interested in that send me a PM with an email address.

Mine has sat for over two months without a tender with no problems at all.

Quick Reply: Dealership has me in a pickle!!!