C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake squeak

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 10:38 PM
CorVetteJones
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Default brake squeak

I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with brake squeaking. I have a 2011 Grand Sport with about 20K miles and getting a lot of brake squeal. I took it into my dealer and they have a good Corvette mechanic who told me that the cross drilled rotors are plugged up with debris and that's what is causing the noise. He said the only way to remove the debris is to remove the rotors and clean them. Cost about $450. I'm just wondering is anyone else has this problem or if anyone thinks there is a way to silence my brakes.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CorVetteJones
I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with brake squeaking. I have a 2011 Grand Sport with about 20K miles and getting a lot of brake squeal. I took it into my dealer and they have a good Corvette mechanic who told me that the cross drilled rotors are plugged up with debris and that's what is causing the noise. He said the only way to remove the debris is to remove the rotors and clean them. Cost about $450. I'm just wondering is anyone else has this problem or if anyone thinks there is a way to silence my brakes.
Stay far away from that dealer! Yikes!
There are lots of things that can contribute to the squeal. I just installed new ceramic pads on my 05 and was getting squeal. I corrected it this evening by lubricating the shims/guides and pins with brake grease.
If ceramic pads are available for the GS, you may want to consider switching over to those since they are much less prone to brake squealing. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 PM
3blondesandMe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just too many other possibilities for the cause of the squeal. I would not spend $450 on a "first guess" from one mechanic. That could get really expensive to keep trying fixes if his first guess is not right. Get a second opinion from a brake expert mechanic rather than a Corvette mechanic.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 AM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbeaux
Stay far away from that dealer! Yikes!
There are lots of things that can contribute to the squeal. I just installed new ceramic pads on my 05 and was getting squeal. I corrected it this evening by lubricating the shims/guides and pins with brake grease.
If ceramic pads are available for the GS, you may want to consider switching over to those since they are much less prone to brake squealing. Good luck!
I fixed mine, stock Z51 pads with a little caliper grease behind pads where they contact pistons. quiet ever since.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 AM
jonathontodd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! $450? Sounds Like Highway Robbery To Me. Mine Squeak Occasionally, I Just Turn The Radio Up
Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 PM
ChristinaG
Advanced

Originally Posted by jonathontodd
Wow! $450? Sounds Like Highway Robbery To Me. Mine Squeak Occasionally, I Just Turn The Radio Up

My dealer told me brake dust. Cleaned them. Twice. Still squeak. I turn up radio.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:28 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I run ceramic pads and they squeak when I apply light pressure when I apply more pressure to stop the car it goes away. I think it is the pad material, I've had the breaks apart and there is nothing wrong that I can see. Just push down on the pedal a little harder.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:10 PM
CorVetteJones
Advanced

Default thanks

Thanks for the all the replies. mine also only squeak when lightly applied. Problem is sometimes you have to just lightly apply them. Might try taking them to a brake expert.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:44 PM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 224 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Mine squeal too. (I have an 08 Coupe, but put Z06 brakes on, which are the exact same as the Grand Sport)
They don't squeal all the time, but enough to be highly annoying. You aren't alone.

I bought a set of Hawk HPS pads in Carlisle but haven't had a chance to install them yet. They are supposed to be quiter and less brake dust as well. Hate having to replace the pads which still have plenty of life in them, but the noise is annoying, and embarrassing at times too.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,068 Posts

That's a new one....pad material in the holes Yeah, it builds up in there but it's not the squeak.

Typically the pads squeak because they've worn the pins.
- Pull the padlets
- Clean the pins and padlets with brake cleaner (don't spray the cleaner on the caliper decals, some types will remove them)
- Apply a light coat of brake grease to the pins where the padlets rest on them
- If the backside of the padlets look worn and/or shiny, apply Disk Brake Quiet (I like CRC) per the directions...

Good to go

Depending on usage, at 20k miles it may be that you need new pads. At 10k miles I'm on my third set (due to multiple track days )
Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Banana Republic
Advanced

Gads, and I thought I was the only one w/ noisy, embarassing brakes. Decided to switch to ceramics(originals still had plenty of life on 'em). Now just a slight squeak upon braking, but disappears when more pressure is applied.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2011 GS. (I now have a 2012 and the problem is much reduced.) My dealer's dedicated Vette mechanic printed out and gave me a copy of the GM advisory about the fact that these brakes squeal, and that's the way it is; he did not try to sell me on any fixes costing anything. The mechanic the OP spoke with might not have checked or known about the advisory -- both important deficiencies in a mechanic. OP, if I were you, I would ask if there are any GM advisories on this and whether they read them. Either way, it appears that the OP's mechanic -- or that dealership -- is not "Corvette friendly".
Old 09-11-2013, 11:36 AM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

hmmmm....2011 with 20k miles.....wouldn't your vehicle still be under warranty.....
Old 09-11-2013, 11:47 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by SSWEET
hmmmm....2011 with 20k miles.....wouldn't your vehicle still be under warranty.....
Should be..Good call
Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM
CorVetteJones
Advanced

Default Warrantee

it is still under warrantee but I was told since this is normal wear it's not covered. I think the mechanic that I talked to is pretty good. There may be a service bulletin that he knows about but also knows there's no fix. He probably thinks cleaning is a potential fix. Greasing the back of the pads seems like a reasonable fix. I'll have to think about that.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,068 Posts

it is still under warrantee but I was told since this is normal wear it's not covered. I think the mechanic that I talked to is pretty good. There may be a service bulletin that he knows about but also knows there's no fix. He probably thinks cleaning is a potential fix. Greasing the back of the pads seems like a reasonable fix. I'll have to think about that.
It's not grease on the back of the pads, it's a coating. The brake grease only goes on the pins. You can also put the grease on the wear points where the padlets sit in the anti-rattle clips.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Brake pad squeal on the C6 is normal due to the high performance pads used on the car. You can change over to ceramic pads or you can chamfer the edges of your pads. Some copper grease on the back of the pads and the pins might help also.

The mechanic that told you the problem is the clogged holes in the rotors is just trying to make a boat payment.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:43 AM
Bapage
4th Gear

2011 g s had bad squell and dust dust After looking thru C f i got carboteck 1521 pads appr 2.000 miles on them now love them
Old 09-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Bapage
2011 g s had bad squell and dust dust After looking thru C f i got carboteck 1521 pads appr 2.000 miles on them now love them

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.

Get notified of new replies

To brake squeak

Quick Reply: brake squeak