C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Corvettes "Supercars"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 05:00 PM
APACHEDR1V3R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishSpuds
I would suggest broadening your reading material or else developing an understanding of cultures outside of America. Seems as though you are laboring under the illusion that Europe bashes America on all fronts I had the choice of a 911 or a GS and ended up with a GS. I am from Europe and certainly did not encounter the acerbic opinion you do, and purchased American. As for "It's too bad that many prefer to see the Eurozone as the only standard for all things automotive" That is your opinion and you are entitled , though I am sure many disagree with your rant.

First, upon reading my post, you should note that I'm not hammering on Europeans but instead on the large number of writers(regardless of nationality) that love to "bash American" in their writings in overwhelming favor of Euro cars. As usual, the media largely places itself in the role of defining various things throughout our societies. They are the ones I'm taking exception with in my post regarding what is a supercar. These types have been doing this for as long as I can remember in the automotive world.

Whether Europeans bash America or not is up to them as this is not their country and theirs isn't mine. So opinions can flow as they may.

Last point. I've spent just over half of the last 26 years immersed in other cultures around the globe in a variety of roles. The time was spent bending to their cultural considerations as I was a guest of those countries and a representative of my own. But this is my country and therefore, its culture is my own, and, the one I'm concerned with in the long run.

ETA: BTW, I'm not angry, just stating one of my views.

Last edited by APACHEDR1V3R; 09-09-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: eta
Old 09-09-2013, 05:01 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Don't forget the Venom GT... 9.92 @ 163, with a top speed of 278. That sounds pretty super.

lol

At the end of the day, supercars are supercars because only a few people can be a part of that exclusive club. Until the Corvette's production numbers are dropped, the cost skyrockets, build quality is nothing short of world class everything, and they are offered at a minimum of 600 horsepower , it will not be a supercar, regardless of the great performance they are capable of.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by APACHEDR1V3R
First, upon reading my post, you should note that I'm not hammering on Europeans but instead on the large number of writers(regardless of nationality) that love to "bash American" in their writings in overwhelming favor of Euro cars. As usual, the media largely places itself in the role of defining various things throughout our societies. They are the ones I'm taking exception with in my post regarding what is a supercar. These types have been doing this for as long as I can remember in the automotive world.
Your first post said nothing about automotive writers and simply bashed, using pretty explicit language, all Europeans. I note that there's no trace left of that post now.

I spend a lot of time in Europe on business. I rent a lot of cars there. The plain and simple fact is that there are a lot of very high quality cars built there, including Audi, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Bentley, BMW, Bugatti, Porsche, Land Rover, Lotus, Maserati, etc, etc, etc. Yeah, there are clunkers built there just like here, but there's a reason most of the world's very high end and supercars come from Europe, not the U.S.

I love my Vette. I've never owned a non-US car. But any real objective look at Chevrolet's build and overall quality in Corvettes or any other of their offerings reveals dismal quality compared to comparable European cars. I know that might **** you and others off, but it's the simple truth.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:08 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

^^^^ eloquent, honest and bereft of axe grinding = credible and valuable.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:40 PM
APACHEDR1V3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Your first post said nothing about automotive writers and simply bashed, using pretty explicit language, all Europeans. I note that there's no trace left of that post now.

I spend a lot of time in Europe on business. I rent a lot of cars there. The plain and simple fact is that there are a lot of very high quality cars built there, including Audi, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Bentley, BMW, Bugatti, Porsche, Land Rover, Lotus, Maserati, etc, etc, etc. Yeah, there are clunkers built there just like here, but there's a reason most of the world's very high end and supercars come from Europe, not the U.S.

I love my Vette. I've never owned a non-US car. But any real objective look at Chevrolet's build and overall quality in Corvettes or any other of their offerings reveals dismal quality compared to comparable European cars. I know that might **** you and others off, but it's the simple truth.

Steve_R, you must've missed reading post #78. It's the same as my original post with the exception of the underlined section and an extra comment that includes Vipers.
The second sentence in that post is a continuing thought from the first sentence, so yes, writers were implied when I mentioned articles.

The post you're now responding to was a response to Irishspuds write-up.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM
APACHEDR1V3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by IrishSpuds
^^^^ eloquent, honest and bereft of axe grinding = credible and valuable.
Unlike his sardonic post of "Very nice"?

He was offended? Well, all he needed to do was bring the point out in a post or PM, and that would've been the end of it.

If he wanted to discuss the merits of what I said, he very well had the opportunity. I would've been receptive as well to his point.

In the end, communicate if you choose to do so, or don't.

Anyway, that's the end of this as now we're way off topic.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Only Z06s and ZR1s.

Clif
Old 09-09-2013, 07:31 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Only Z06s and ZR1s.
Originally Posted by cj032188
I completely agree with this..
Originally Posted by z06clif

Clif
Old 09-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by APACHEDR1V3R
Unlike his sardonic post of "Very nice"?

He was offended? Well, all he needed to do was bring the point out in a post or PM, and that would've been the end of it.

If he wanted to discuss the merits of what I said, he very well had the opportunity. I would've been receptive as well to his point.

In the end, communicate if you choose to do so, or don't.

Anyway, that's the end of this as now we're way off topic.
LOL. I wasn't offended by anything. It's an anonymous internet chat board, nothing here offends me. I addressed the merits of your original points in my last post, which you chose to ignore and not respond to but to badmouth me for not communicating. Communication goes both ways.

IMO the Vette isn't a supercar. It's a semantics argument that doesn't matter anyway.

It's all good.

Last edited by Steve_R; 09-09-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
Sorry, must also be a two seater.

So the McLaren F1 is NOT a Supercar?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:19 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by B y r o n
So the McLaren F1 is NOT a Supercar?
Not if they used sharpies on the brake boot thread
Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 PM
APACHEDR1V3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve_R
LOL. I wasn't offended by anything. It's an anonymous internet chat board, nothing here offends me. I addressed the merits of your original points in my last post, which you chose to ignore and not respond to but to badmouth me for not communicating. Communication goes both ways.

IMO the Vette isn't a supercar. It's a semantics argument that doesn't matter anyway.

It's all good.

My original post was deleted due to 3 words which violated forum rules. I reposted the exact post with replacements for those 3 words in post 78.

Other than that, I've addressed your posts with the exception of how many Euro rentals you've done and all the various Euro car company names you were able to list. The "bad mouthing" was a response to Irishspud's glowing support of your writing style while ignoring your original sardonic 2 word response on page 2, which is also deleted as well.

You've established that you love your Vette but don't believe any of them to be supercars due to dismal quality. You also buy American cars only.

I love my Grand Sport, which I treat like a supercar(although it's not), but I believe the ZR1 is a supercar since it lives and eats there, for now anyway. I buy American as well and can appreciate any high quality car. I also believe Americans have some supercars that can hold their own.

Oh, and I chuckle because my straight-forward, honest manner of expression is perceived as axe-grinding.

To each his own. And yes, it's all good.

Last edited by APACHEDR1V3R; 09-09-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by 11Black-GS
Woah, calm down. You act as if I just insulted your mother. Your post also makes it sound like I'm pissing on the Z06s and I am not.

The word "cheap" is subjective so its interesting to see how you quickly attack my post without any further information from me.

I see kids driving around in 30k cars that their daddy bought them. In 10 years from now the Z06s will most definitely be in that range especially since 05-06s are already around the high 30s...
Nothing from my post even shows any anger. You took it as such, thats something with you and not me. I dont have a ZO6 but was pricing them when I bought my 12 and my 13 coupes and the ones for the similar price were all but garbage to me. I wont buy someone elses piece of crap.

Cheap is subjective, but you said ZO6 cars which without you saying which ones means all inclusive...they all wont be cheap. The only ones in the low 30s now are beat to hell examples that are junk. Going forward they will be no different than models prior other than the fact that these ones cost a boat load more new than say a C5 ZO6.

They wont be that cheap and you wont see that many young kids with them. A few here and there? Yes. That is common sense. To say they all will be easy to obtain and cheap is foolish.

And like said, there were no 2005 ZO6s. Learn your cars.

I dont think 30k is that expensive for a car, but you wont be seeing 2012 ZO6s in 10 years with say 15k miles for 30k. Just wont happen. 2002-2004 ZO6s with that miles still command that price but...and here is where you need to pay attention, they had a LOT lower sticker price. That is why they are under 30k and easy to obtain. The C6 ZO6 cost a lot more to buy new and doesnt depreciate as fast as other cars. It also, to me, is a lot more of a special car than the C5 ZO6. Tough to compare them.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 AM
11Black-GS
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Nothing from my post even shows any anger. You took it as such, thats something with you and not me. I dont have a ZO6 but was pricing them when I bought my 12 and my 13 coupes and the ones for the similar price were all but garbage to me. I wont buy someone elses piece of crap.

Cheap is subjective, but you said ZO6 cars which without you saying which ones means all inclusive...they all wont be cheap. The only ones in the low 30s now are beat to hell examples that are junk. Going forward they will be no different than models prior other than the fact that these ones cost a boat load more new than say a C5 ZO6.

They wont be that cheap and you wont see that many young kids with them. A few here and there? Yes. That is common sense. To say they all will be easy to obtain and cheap is foolish.

I dont think 30k is that expensive for a car, but you wont be seeing 2012 ZO6s in 10 years with say 15k miles for 30k. Just wont happen. 2002-2004 ZO6s with that miles still command that price but...and here is where you need to pay attention, they had a LOT lower sticker price. That is why they are under 30k and easy to obtain. The C6 ZO6 cost a lot more to buy new and doesnt depreciate as fast as other cars. It also, to me, is a lot more of a special car than the C5 ZO6. Tough to compare them.
I never said you were angry. I can only assume you are referencing the other poster who mentioned anger.

I never said (this is where you need to pay attention) that ALL Z06s will be so easy to obtain kids will be driving them. The word “ALL” is important because it was not included in the sentence therefore there is no reason to assume “all inclusive” when referring to Z06s. When I made that comment I was referencing LFZ’s post where he was comparing the Z06s with links that were 5 and 7 years old. 2013-7= 2006 therefore if there is any assumption to what C6 Z06s models I was referring to then a good starting point would be the comment I was originally referencing..2006-2008 models since the cars being mentioned in the comparisons were 5 & 7 years old now.

2006 model Z06s that are in the high 30s have 25-35K miles on them so if you think that is considered beat to hell junk then that is your opinion.

A few here and there? Yes.
Thank you for reinforcing my point I was previously making.

To say they all will be easy to obtain and cheap is foolish.
Never said that.

Thank you so much for repeating the fact that 2005 didn't have a Z06.

but you wont be seeing 2012 ZO6s in 10 years with say 15k miles for 30k. Just wont happen.
I agree.

2002-2004 ZO6s with that miles still command that price but...and here is where you need to pay attention, they had a LOT lower sticker price.
I’m listening.

Last edited by 11Black-GS; 09-10-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Minnesota Scott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO both the ZR1 and the Z07 Corvettes fit the mold

Anyone consider a Porsche 911 a supercar? I'd say a high end track version 911 is one, but a regular production 911 not so much...same with the Corvette.

Scott
Old 09-10-2013, 10:11 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

I repeated it because it needs repeating. Its like people who say they have a 2000 ZO6. Yes, I have had people say that to me. Even one owner who has a 2001 tell me his is the 405 hp version. So roll your eyes all you want, you need to learn your cars.

You did say that (in regards to cheap). I said they wont other than a few examples that are far offest by the number of them that is not.

In case you dont follow my minds process (if not its cool, sometimes I am a strange bird).....you take the 2001 to 2004 ZO6 cars with prices new of 50-55k. Those with even 25-35k miles are still at 50% of their new value. A 2006+ ZO6 should be roughly 50% of their new value if they have decent miles and possibly more because they are much more desireable and less produced than the C5 ZO6s. Even so, with sticker prices of C6 ZO6s being anywhere from 70-110k......the majority of them with low miles are not going to be 30k. Those that are will either have lots of mechanical issues or have so many miles it will resemble a 44 year old **** star (female).

To take the cheapest of a model and say "Yup, its selling for 30k. Thats what they are going to be worth." is pretty out there. You say you dont mean all of them but the only ones in the price range you set are well, piles of crap. To base all the cars as such and lump them together is not right, you agree with that I am sure. However, it is your job as the poster to tell us which one you classify as such, not us to figure out what your brain is thinking and your fingers are not posting.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 AM
jerrya12345
8th Gear

2011 top speed 190mph id supper car to me!

Get notified of new replies

To Are Corvettes "Supercars"?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

One other characteristic of a true supercar is that they don't lose 50% of their value in the first few years, and in fact often never depreciate much at all. Another reason a Z06 doesn't fit the supercar category.

What's a ZO7?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Zr1
Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Joz132
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

You know my take on this

Name:  541057_472173986179177_377782287_n_zps1065e523-1_zps09cbe52c.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  59.5 KB

Red one got to the 1/2 mile faster

Last edited by Joz132; 09-10-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Are Corvettes "Supercars"?