C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blasted Key Fobs: Defying Belief

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:16 PM
noz34me
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blasted Key Fobs: Defying Belief

OK, this may get a tad long, but it's my first visit to the dealership with my "new to me" '08.

Had the car 2 months, and finally decided to get the VA inspection. Dealership had Saturday hours. Drop if off and the wife and I go to the waiting room. About 15 minutes go by, and the service adviser comes in and says "I can't get your car to start". Fob not recognized. They replace the battery in the fob. Still won't start.

She gives me her car to go home and get the 2nd fob. I do, jump in the Vette with fob # 2, and it won't start. I should mention I already told her about the glove box slot, but she told me that wouldn't help.

So:
I ask for fob # 1. I put it in the glove box slot; car fires right up. I ask for fob # 2, put it in the glove box and it fires right up. I handed her fob #2, to hold outside the car, fob #1 laying on passenger seat. It fires right up. I give her fob #1, to hold outside, take fob #2 and lay it on the seat and it fires right up.

One the techs comes out and tells me that every so often, I need to plug the fobs into the slot so the car can "sync" with them. I don't remember reading that anywhere, but it is a Chevy dealership.

I don't know if I should be happy, pissed off, or concerned. I'm disappointed they don't really know which end is up.

Oh, and the icing on the cake: Looking around the showroom, they have one of the SLP Camaro Panthers. 600HP. The salesperson comes over and begins to tell me how wonderful it is, and how it is 1" lower than a stock Camaro. She then tells me that lowering the car gives it 15 extra Horsepower. I started to tell her to please not tell anyone else that, because it's ridiculous. Instead, I just said "Wow!".
Old 09-07-2013, 10:24 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Could have been interference from a cellphone in someone's pocket or something else in the shop...but I don't have any idea where they get the idea that fobs need to be put in the slot every once in a while to sync...this is pure crapola
Old 09-07-2013, 10:44 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,819 Likes on 2,064 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cclive
Could have been interference from a cellphone in someone's pocket or something else in the shop...but I don't have any idea where they get the idea that fobs need to be put in the slot every once in a while to sync...this is pure crapola
Nah, impure crapola. Might be approaching bull doo-doo.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:31 AM
ZYUL8r
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Nah, impure crapola. Might be approaching bull doo-doo.
dealers excel at this!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:20 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

The bigger question is, are you going to return to this dealership which doesn't have a clue how these cars work? Would you trust them anywhere near your car if something was really wrong with it that needed repair?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:28 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cclive
yeah really, where do these people come up with this crap??
Had my car 7.5 years and never synced my fobs in the slot
Old 09-08-2013, 08:07 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Time to find another dealer for Inspections and Service. The one you have is staffed with idiots.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by dvilin
Time to find another dealer for Inspections and Service. The one you have is staffed with idiots.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

My wife had her purse stolen about six months ago and one of out Fobs was in it,so after contacting the insurance co. They told me to buy another,the dealer we bought the fob from couldn't program it,they tried for hours,finally they had a tech from Bowlingreen walk them through it.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

OP; You'll have to excuse the Service writer and the Salesperson, they don't have any tech knowledge and aren't required to have any for their jobs. The Tech telling you to sync the fobs to the car is just ignorant.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,908 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
The bigger question is, are you going to return to this dealership which doesn't have a clue how these cars work? Would you trust them anywhere near your car if something was really wrong with it that needed repair?
I think these guys know more about a C6 than the OP's dealer.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:05 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,248 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
I think these guys know more about a C6 than the OP's dealer.

Insulting to Gomer and Goober....
Old 09-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

When I first got may car and drove it home, I had my portable GPS plugged in. The car wouldn't start until I tried removing the charger plug. It fired right up. Lots of little nuances with those fobs, but after awhile, you figure out what not to do.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Maybe you guys shouldn't be so quick to bash the dealer. Here's a page out of my 2013 Owners Manual.

Apparently a new FOB is programmed using the glove box slot, and an existing FOB can be re-programmed the same way.

I have never done this, so I cannot speak from any level of experience.

I'm simply saying, that perhaps this time, the dealer wasn't fulla donkey doo.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:22 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Hameister
Maybe you guys shouldn't be so quick to bash the dealer. Here's a page out of my 2013 Owners Manual.

Apparently a new FOB is programmed using the glove box slot, and an existing FOB can be re-programmed the same way.

I have never done this, so I cannot speak from any level of experience.

I'm simply saying, that perhaps this time, the dealer wasn't fulla donkey doo.

Yes the slot is for programming a "NEW" fob, you do not sync an existing programmed fob. In order to reprogram an existing fob, you need to do the long method of programming, which deletes all fobs, then you go through the reprogramming.
Just placing an already programmed fob in the slot will not do a thing.

Bottom line, dealer still full of poop
Old 09-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Yes the slot is for programming a "NEW" fob, you do not sync an existing programmed fob. In order to reprogram an existing fob, you need to do the long method of programming, which deletes all fobs, then you go through the reprogramming.
Just placing an already programmed fob in the slot will not do a thing.

Bottom line, dealer still full of poop
Reading the instructions seems a little ambiguous, in that it would appear that an existing FOB could also be re-programmed.

I'm not disagreeing with you, because as I said before, I am unfamiliar with this process, and have never attempted it.

However, based on my numerous prior experiences with auto dealers, I'd have no problem voting for fulla poop as well.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:47 PM
noz34me
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I appreciate the feedback. I've got another dealership about 12 miles away, so I may give them a shot on my next service.

I guess, given this was a Saturday, they may have had their "b" team in, mainly doing oil changes, inspections, tire rotations, etc.

Lastly, you would have thought they had never seen a corvette this nice. The tech didn't even want to drive it around to the bay. I drove it in, they inspected it, and I drove it back out.

They never even raised it up. The one tech said "Let's get it on the lift, and the other said "no way I'm lifting that car". At that point I told them it was GM certified, the info was in the glovebox, and they could probably just take down the mileage and put a sticker on it. Then I went back inside.

Get notified of new replies

To Blasted Key Fobs: Defying Belief

Old 09-08-2013, 03:03 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,819 Likes on 2,064 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Hameister
Reading the instructions seems a little ambiguous, in that it would appear that an existing FOB could also be re-programmed.

I'm not disagreeing with you, because as I said before, I am unfamiliar with this process, and have never attempted it.

However, based on my numerous prior experiences with auto dealers, I'd have no problem voting for fulla poop as well.
Here's the "process" in a nut shell: >>C6 Fob Programming and Glove Box Slot Testing Procedures<<

But you have my vote on the dealer full of poop fer sure.

Elmer
Old 09-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Here's the "process" in a nut shell: >>C6 Fob Programming and Glove Box Slot Testing Procedures<<

But you have my vote on the dealer full of poop fer sure.

Elmer

Thanks!

That's very thorough!
Old 09-08-2013, 03:12 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
yeah really, where do these people come up with this crap??
Had my car 7.5 years and never synced my fobs in the slot
Eight and a half for me.

Quick Reply: Blasted Key Fobs: Defying Belief