C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome inside wheel barrels

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 01:06 PM
doubledime
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome inside wheel barrels

I have a 2012 GS with chrome wheels. I thought I heard once that the gray inside wheel barrels are actually covering up chrome, and GM covers the chrome for maintenance reasons, and you can have the coating removed to expose the chrome. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 837 Likes on 396 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I have never heard of a chrome plating company plating the barrels an then covering them up. I think what you heard is most likely incorrect.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Red Tabby
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a thread that shows how to remove the paint and what you see under it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...me-gumbys.html

They do look nice all clean and shiny!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Tabby
Here is a thread that shows how to remove the paint and what you see under it...
Yep...very easy to remove the paint from the wheel barrels. That's a great thread. Be sure to review that entire thread before you remove the paint...specifically POST #109 which warns you that the chrome isn't always high quality underneath the paint.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:30 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 837 Likes on 396 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I think what you will find if you strip the finish off the barrels, is an aluminum finish, not chrome. Yes once it is striped and cleaned and polished it will look great, but only for a short time. The aluminum will need to be polished frequently as the Chrome on the actual out area with maintain the shine with nothing more then soap and water and wax.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
I think what you will find if you strip the finish off the barrels, is an aluminum finish, not chrome.
If you have stock C6 chrome wheels, they are chromed underneath the paint. Just drive for a couple of years with unpainted (and neglected) barrels and the chrome will start peeling off to prove it.

Here are some pictures from the thread mentioned above. This is the chrome being exposed just after using paint stripper and nothing else...

Here's the wheel after a quick clean-up (no polishing or elbow grease needed)...

As stated in the thread, this may not be a good mod for someone unless they are willing to maintain the barrels with a good cleaning and polish once or twice a year.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:11 PM
corvettejack
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did mine a month ago came out great they are even easier to keep clean than the rough gray paint just use chrome polish and 2 coats of a good wax after you strip and clean brake dust wipes right off with a dry towel looks like new again I plan on removing wheels over the winter re-polish and re-wax again they are chrome and look 100% better than the gray paint and are easier to maintain Jack
Old 09-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

If I strip mine, I might spray the barrels with something clear.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:23 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have never heard of a chrome plating company plating the barrels an then covering them up. I think what you heard is most likely incorrect.
All Chrome wheels are plated completely, inside and out, front and back. The difference in appearence is because the exterior is smoothed and polished before plating and the inside is not.

The wheels are immersed in the cleaning and plating solutions with nothing masked off.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:14 PM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I wash mine with a toilet brush every time I wash the car at home.
Easy to do and looks better clean ...
Old 09-06-2013, 08:43 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AimHigh
I wash mine with a toilet brush every time I wash the car at home.
Easy to do and looks better clean ...
A real wheel brush is better. Nice bristles and flexible stem for cleaning around spokes.

Plus, having a dedicated brush eliminates the risk of toilet gunk on your wheels -- or wheel gunk in your toilet.

Available from many sources, like this: http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html
Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,223 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
A real wheel brush is better. Nice bristles and flexible stem for cleaning around spokes.

Plus, having a dedicated brush eliminates the risk of toilet gunk on your wheels -- or wheel gunk in your toilet.

I think I got that brush with an order from the Geek. The one I have that looks like that is utterly useless for cleaning as would a toilet brush lol...The bristles are too course and don't hold soap well at all to me.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 PM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot

you are correct Sir! It's all I had at the time so I made it work.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:43 AM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what you will find if you strip the finish off the barrels, is an aluminum finish, not chrome. Yes once it is striped and cleaned and polished it will look great, but only for a short time. The aluminum will need to be polished frequently as the Chrome on the actual out area with maintain the shine with nothing more then soap and water and wax.
No more stories. It's real chrome, dude. The only issue when you strip the paint off the barrels is whether there are any defects in the underlying chrome plating that you can't see through the paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome inside wheel barrels

Quick Reply: Chrome inside wheel barrels