C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas members, mounting your front tag

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 01:53 AM
APACHEDR1V3R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassprocop
S.B. No. 1757

AN ACT
relating to the manufacture, sale, distribution, purchase, or
possession of a license plate flipper; creating an offense.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Subchapter L, Chapter 504, Transportation Code,
is amended by adding Section 504.946 to read as follows:
Sec. 504.946. LICENSE PLATE FLIPPER; OFFENSE. (a) In this
section, "license plate flipper" means a manual, electronic, or
mechanical device designed or adapted to be installed on a motor
vehicle and:
(1) switch between two or more license plates for the
purpose of allowing a motor vehicle operator to change the license
plate displayed on the operator's vehicle; or
(2) hide a license plate from view by flipping the
license plate so that the license plate number is not visible.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person with criminal
negligence purchases or possesses a license plate flipper. An
offense under this subsection is a Class B misdemeanor.
(c) A person commits an offense if the person with criminal
negligence manufactures, sells, offers to sell, or otherwise
distributes a license plate flipper. An offense under this
subsection is a Class A misdemeanor.
SECTION 2. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives
a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as
provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this
Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this
Act takes effect September 1, 2013.

This was passed and went into law today.
It's mox nix now but this actually went into effect on 14June2013. http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...3R&Bill=SB1757

The law regarding the maximum $200 fine went into effect on 01Sep2013. http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...83R&Bill=HB625

Personally I don't like the front plate but compared to other issues in this state, wearing a front plate is a very minor thing.

Last edited by APACHEDR1V3R; 09-02-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:50 AM
tctx
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's mox nix
I suspect you meant "machts nichts"... doesn't matter...

my TFR bracket is going on as soon as my plate frames arrives....
Old 09-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A few years ago there was a Corvette show at the Dell Diamond in Round Rock, TX and the local cops showed up and wrote tickets on cars with no front plate. Big stink about the CS funding raising event.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:42 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

TFR bracket and painted frame purchased.
I'd rather give the money to TFR than Tejas.
Now for a letter to Austin...

One study:

http://frontplate.org/blog/wp-conten...ensePlates.pdf

Last edited by vet55; 09-02-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:51 PM
APACHEDR1V3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by tctx
I suspect you meant "machts nichts"... doesn't matter...

my TFR bracket is going on as soon as my plate frames arrives....
That's what I meant...late night entry and I got lazy. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:55 PM
85scott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Most states now only require a rear plate, and I think a hundred years ago when they first started using license plates all states had two.

You'd think Texas, being the forward-looking state they are, would have eliminated the front plate requirement rather than being more restrictive. I really don't see the utility of it. If a policeman is approaching your car and you don't have a plate on the front, you could well be from a one-plate state and he's turned around and caught up with you for nothing.

And ... you're using twice as much metal as is necessary ... bad for the environment and more expensive too.
Ditto. A study was done in Texas back in the 1990's that
showed the cost of producing ONLY ONE plate would save taxpayers between 2 & 3 million dollars per year. And you know the savings are much more now.

So I can't believe our legislators are still so dumb as to waste our money on useless ugly crap like this when they know there is no logical reason whatsoever for this citizen abuse.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:59 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 85scott
Ditto. A study was done in Texas back in the 1990's that
showed the cost of producing ONLY ONE plate would save taxpayers between 2 & 3 million dollars per year. And you know the savings are much more now.

So I can't believe our legislators are still so dumb as to waste our money on useless ugly crap like this when they know there is no logical reason whatsoever for this citizen abuse.
Revenue. Tolls. Road Funding.
Thats all that matters in what I read.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:02 PM
85scott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by APACHEDR1V3R
Personally I don't like the front plate but compared to other issues in this state, wearing a front plate is a very minor thing.
Are you kidding? This is just like a "speed trap", only it's being set by your politicians.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM
85scott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vet55
Revenue. Tolls. Road Funding.
Thats all that matters in what I read.
So why do they still let hybrid-electric crap drive on our roads for free, without paying even one cent in gas tax?

Why don't they make it their mission to hunt down the cheapskate $greens$, and make them finally pay what everyone else pays?

Start charging the new Prius owner, etc $7500 dollars so they can no longer keep that much undeserved federal tax credit.

And also charge them $400 at registration every year - since car owners that don't buy gas are never paying any road & bridge repair taxes?

It's either that way, or time to abolish all gas taxes, so everyone is paying their fair share.

Last edited by 85scott; 09-02-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:18 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by butchn
Some will suggest an after market product that is electronic and mounts the plate under the front of the car that allows you to display the plate or hide it at will.How can they make that illegal?
Actually, this is a separate law, and it was already illegal to have a mechanism that will allow you to flip, replace, hide, or obscure the plate. They are thinking about people that would use such a device to conceal the plates during or after commission of a crime...

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 09-02-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:42 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

So why do they still let hybrid-electric crap drive on our roads for free, without paying even one cent in gas tax?

Why don't they make it their mission to hunt down the cheapskate $greens$, and make them finally pay what everyone else pays?

Start charging the new Prius owner, etc $7500 dollars so they can no longer keep that much undeserved federal tax credit.

And also charge them $400 at registration every year - since car owners that don't buy gas are never paying any road & bridge repair taxes?

It's either that way, or time to abolish all gas taxes, so everyone is paying their fair share.
A funny aside is that on Top Gear they had a 500 HP sports car keep up with a Prius that was going as fast as it could. The result:
Prius 17 MPG
Sport car ~30 MPG

My numbers are approximately right as I remember them. I guess that's why you see a lot of Prius drives Hypermiling their cars.

Last edited by LawrenceFromTorrance; 09-02-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Bassprocop
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
You need to read the new law carefully. It is different in that the fine is now $200.00 for not displaying a front plate. It is no longer a simple fix it ticket. There is now a huge incentive for the police to write this. The majority of the fine stays at the local level.
The fine is new however the OP stated it was a new law that two plates had to be displayed and that is not true. I have seen several sites where this has been stated as well. A local newspaper here mentioned that it was a new law that two plates had to be displayed now as well. I personally think the law is dumb but I don't write them.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Bassprocop
Instructor

Originally Posted by kliph
Some time in the future LEO will aim a device at your car and have
all the information they want. Maybe you car will transmit a signal
to cop cars.
It will be like having a bar code or car DNA transmitted.
Watch and see.
That technology is already being used and has been for at least a few years. Several agencies have plate readers affixed to the trunk areas or the roofs of their cars. Its been a a good tool to locate stolen and wanted vehicles.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:13 PM
bluedogok
Advanced

Hybrids still have gas motors, there are only a few all electric cars out there at this time. In some states license fees do go to roads but they are going to pay up eventually, all of us will when they go to mileage based taxes as that is what many states are trying to implement. You know that will be added on top of gas taxes since it seems politicians have no interest in ever repealing a tax.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:47 PM
APACHEDR1V3R
Instructor

Are you kidding? This is just like a "speed trap", only it's being set by your politicians.
No, I'm not kidding, and I agree with you.

It's another way to nickel and dime us. Am I saying the monies collected are insignificant? No. I'm saying for me, there are bigger money collecting scams and misappropriations being played out in government than this one. Especially at this point in our history.

I'd rather sweat the bigger bucks being taken out of my pocket.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jsilvz
I used the factory holder with double sided tape. That came loose after just a short time. I reattached with 3M heavy duty double sided tape and its still solid after two years.
I don't like the front plate either. I like getting pulled over even less.
I have the GM factory holder with the double sided tape and wonder how it can be used without scratching the paint. Did you shim yours with something?

BTW, I am in the Westlake area but our son and his family live in Cedar Park so I get up your way some time.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 PM
85scott
Burning Brakes

I really wish car people nationwide would become more politically active to stop dumb laws like this. Because it sure seems obvious to me that the average Joe does not support this money wasting or unnecessary violation of their rights.

Offhand, I don't even know who my local state person is.
But this time I am going to find out.

And if they voted wrong, they're getting an angry e-mail with additional demands also. Because this front plate junk, gas-tax abuse from $greens$, the general waste of money, etc. I have had it with liberals!

Get notified of new replies

To Texas members, mounting your front tag

Old 09-02-2013, 06:35 PM
85scott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
A funny aside is that on Top Gear they had a 500 HP sports car keep up with a Prius that was going as fast as it could. The result:
Prius 17 MPG
Sport car ~30 MPG

My numbers are approximately right as I remember them. I guess that's why you see a lot of Prius drives Hypermiling their cars.
I find that Hondas & Toyotas usually have the most incompetent drivers of all brands.

When some idiot is asleep at the light, poking along at 25 in a 45mph zone, etc, it's almost always in a Toyota or Honda.

And then occasionaly, there is the econo-box crazy weaving in & out, flooring it everywhere they go, which defeats the purpose entirely.

It's a strange world right now.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I live in TX and didn't know about the change to the law. I will be interesting to see if it has any affect. Now, about 2-3 of every 10 cars you see on the road have no front plate. Now some of those could be from a 1 plate state so maybe it is just 1 out of 10n. But that is still a lot of cars... I started running a plate (with a Top Flight mount) after two of my club members got tickets leaving an autocross, the cops were waiting at the exit to the parking lot..
Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Marktexas
Intermediate

Got pulled over by DPS today, not doing anything else wrong, had one nice trooper and his partner, who wasn't so nice, I think nice trooper wanted to check out car, other only wanted to focus on no front plate, it was sitting on dash. Nice trooper suggested mounting it as computer showed I had already been warned twice.
Came home and ordered TFR one, think mounting the plate upside down will **** them off?
Rules say it has to be on front of car, well actually it says it must be visible from front of car, which sitting on the dash was.

Last edited by Marktexas; 09-02-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Texas members, mounting your front tag