C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing third brake light

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 02:08 AM
lvjetboy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I would rather have the other 99.9% of the drivers behind me, who are not drunk, have their attention drawn to my stop light.
Bingo.

Not to mention there's no studies or proof that the 0.1% drunks driving behind you are attracted to a third brake light blinking. For the rest of our 99.9% commute, I'm thinking there's an overwhelming percentage of idiots driving sober behind you who'll be alerted quicker with flashing than steady.

I bought my 07 Vette in Nevada and the dealer installed on delivery. I'm thinking they wouldn't install if illegal in NV?

Now with 200,000+ miles (I drive a lot) that blinking third red may've saved me from at least one rear-end. I remember a driver following me too close (Typical Las Vegas commute/construction traffic) squealed her tires when I had to brake quickly for someone abruptly stopping in front of me. That blinking third saved my rear.

In Big City stop and go traffic it's like enhanced Pavlov. Steady red should mean slow down but many are conditioned to ignore because that guy ahead is riding the brakes for no reason, right? Blinking red gets attention as long as most cars don't have that feature.

I think it works.

jer
Old 09-01-2013, 08:06 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Come to think of it, I live in Michigan and I have seen flashing brake lights on emergency vehicles.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:12 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default Seriously???

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
There are countless stories of drunk drivers drawn to or homing in on flashing red/blue lights on police cars on traffic stops. The drunks fixate on them and drive right into them.

I would resist doing this.
I can't say I've heard too many stories like this.. At least not where they positively attributed the crash to fixation on the LEO's lights....

If they do a study and find it's true they should start installing flashing light poles all over. It should be a great way to get drunks off the road.

....now back to your regularly scheduled program....
Old 09-01-2013, 12:40 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes studies have been done on this topic. That is the reason that the third brake light is now a requirement on all new vehicles.

Someone commented about the dealer in Nevada installing the flashing light (3rd brake light) and commented that they probably not have installed it if it were illegal.

At least in Wisconsin, it is illegal to modify and exhaust system from OE. Dealers do it all the time and it is illegal.

Best thing to do is check with your State Police and get their take on if it is legal or not.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:26 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
I can't say I've heard too many stories like this.. At least not where they positively attributed the crash to fixation on the LEO's lights....

If they do a study and find it's true they should start installing flashing light poles all over. It should be a great way to get drunks off the road.

....now back to your regularly scheduled program....
Old 09-02-2013, 10:09 AM
sampaschal
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Conversion to flashing third brake light is a snap. As many have said, its plug and play. Installing is easier if you take the center brake light out first...I have installed several and that is IMHO the way to go. They are available from most Corvette after market sources for under $60.00. Whether they are a nuisance, tacky, illegal, or unnecessary, I would leave that up to the individual's decision. I think they are an added safety protection by making the car stand out when stopping.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:27 AM
tjl5709
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

In an ideal world, one might not need such a devise. I driver paying attention would see your standard light, and stop.

But the real issue is, we live in a distracted world, and people do allot of bad things while driving. Texting, dialing, reading email, putting on makeup, reading books/paper, feeding kids, playing with the radio to name a few of the stuff I've observed.

Our peripheral vision is good at catching motion, and I believe a blinking light can get picked up better. Anything that can catch someones attention who is distracted could mean the difference between you /car getting somewhere in one piece.

Quick Reply: Flashing third brake light