C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 year old and C6

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Fizbandantalus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my first corvette at 24, but I drive like an old man so I guess I'm technically 40+ bahaha
Old 09-13-2013, 09:09 PM
LAK3RS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SK360
I'm assuming more wrecks with higher hp vehicles take place between 0-30mph with loss of traction and drivers not knowing how to respond.

I would think limiting any vehicle to 70mph is more dangerous then leaving it unlimited.
Yup.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:56 PM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bamawrx
Kyle,
What you have is an open bolt Uzi sub machine gun, and you have less than two years experience with daisy red rider BB gun. Bad idea? Yes it is.
So just to be clear; if Kyle has both then that's a REALLY BAD IDEA?
Old 09-14-2013, 04:04 PM
kyle.
Intermediate

well actually i was brought up learning how to properly handle a weapon and go shooting at least twice a month so....
Old 09-14-2013, 04:11 PM
05_Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by kyle.
Okay so not to start a hate thread, but i was reading a thread from a few years ago about someone who was 17 years old and got a C6 corvette. A lot of people say its stupid and shouldn't let a kid that young have a car with that amount of power. So here i am today, writing this post wondering why is it that you guys think a mature 17 year old shouldn't drive a C6? Im just curious?

- A 17 year old that drives a 2013 c6.
Depends if you know how to drive or if you only think you know how to drive.

Ryan Dunn thought he knew how to drive his Porches. He didn't so he died. I see young guys dying all over the world on www.wreckedexotics.com

Don't become a star of wrecked exotics like this guy did last week..
Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 PM
kyle.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05_Z51
Depends if you know how to drive or if you only think you know how to drive.

Ryan Dunn thought he knew how to drive his Porches. He didn't so he died. I see young guys dying all over the world on www.wreckedexotics.com

Don't become a star of wrecked exotics like this guy did last week..
see the only thing i see wrong with that logic is that any inexperienced driver could wreck a car wether its an 85whp toyota yaris or an 850whp corvette. it all depends on the driver, if the driver has the proper skills then chances of them wrecking is lower than someone who doesnt.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:32 PM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well actually i was brought up learning how to properly handle a weapon and go shooting at least twice a month so....
That's great Kyle. I taught my daughter respect & safety in handling and shooting firearms. At 10 she was shooting my single shot .22 rifle.
As she grew older she moved up to .22 pistols and at 14 she started shooting a model 64 .38 Spl. I did not start her out with a 9mm sub machinegun. She was 19 when she asked to try full auto.

She preferred the M16A1 over the UZI.

Just keeping the right balance of age and machine.

She will be 39 this December and now has 2 sons. Both are NRA Life Members.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:43 PM
05_Z51
Instructor

see the only thing i see wrong with that logic is that any inexperienced driver could wreck a car wether its an 85whp toyota yaris or an 850whp corvette. it all depends on the driver, if the driver has the proper skills then chances of them wrecking is lower than someone who doesnt.
Not necessarily man.

There is a lot of drivers out there that have lots of experience. Experience driving improperly. Ryan Dunn had a lot of experience but he never learned how to drive properly. So many guys think its a hit on their ego to check into racing school.

It comes naturally for some people but for the people where it doesn't, they should check into a racing school.

I had a sand rail with a 4 speed stick when I was 9 years old and a private little race track to run it so I had a lot of experience with the characteristics of driving before I hit the road.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

However, it does take more than skill it also takes judgement. Most younger drivers don't have enough experience to make the proper judgement call. A lot of senior drivers err the other way by exercising by being too cautious which also increases danger.

Two months ago I had my 17 year old grandson in the car doing his first autocross. It was a great experience and he learned some valuable lessons that day. I have a great in car video of his first spin out. He tried to use too much throttle when exiting a very sharp turn where the suspension was decompressing from a dip in the turn. Back end went to the right he countersteered to the right but was too late, then the car went back the other way with him trying to catch up with it. We went across the Go Kart track's pavement two times and then ended up in the grass looking back at where we had come from. He got 7 more runs that day and he improved on all of them and really improved his throttle control. He also became a better driver on the street.

Bill
Old 09-14-2013, 06:10 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

When i was 16, (35 years ago) my late father bought me a brand new 1979 Corvette Black with oyster leather . I loved that car. My father trusted me and I never got a ticket in that car. Fast forward today, my ZR1 and Porsche turbo, my 17 and 21 year old do not touch. I love my kids but it is a different world. Also, my 79 likely had less than 300 hp and was slow compared to todays' cars.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:18 PM
05_Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
When i was 16, (35 years ago) my late father bought me a brand new 1979 Corvette Black with oyster leather . I loved that car. My father trusted me and I never got a ticket in that car. Fast forward today, my ZR1 and Porsche turbo, my 17 and 21 year old do not touch. I love my kids but it is a different world. Also, my 79 likely had less than 300 hp and was slow compared to todays' cars.
I would say thats the biggest difference in todays world. The 79 was not one of the top 10 fastest production cars on Nürburgring and the fastest production car on Leguna Seca
Old 09-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can die in any car at 17 or run in to others. Just keep it real try to be smart about going fast and have fun
Old 09-15-2013, 05:52 PM
TriStar
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO, it's not as much the age of the driver as the seat time he/she has, which I suppose is technically related.

I was told by my insurance agent that their statistics showed over 91 percent of NEW drivers will file a claim within 2 years of getting their license, REGARDLESS OF THEIR AGE. She also said that there are many more unreported minor accidents (mail boxes, curbs, poles, etc..) that the individual pays for on their own.

Now, with that said, I was definitely an idiot for the first few years I began driving. Took all kinds of risks and did all sorts of stupid things while driving. I had to replace three mail boxes myself before I turned 18 and I only knew one speed... wide open, which was only 86 mph in my old '74 Datsun Lil' Hustler" pickup.

Knowledge, experience and wisdom are a few benefits of becoming an old fart!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 PM
rsssguy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

A 17 year old kid in any vette is a bad idea, let alone a C6. I saw this post yesterday and skipped it because I would've spent an hour on my reply. Well, today, I get to add another story of death and tragedy to a book that's already full. This one is related to a 17 yr old and a 370 Z. Even children who've grown up racing real go karts don't possess the level of maturity required for something like a C6. All of my kids did race karts and hell would freeze over before I would ever provide them with the tools to hurt themselves. I'm done now.....anything I have to offer would be far less tactful and diplomatic. Kinda like suggesting a parent that would condone or support something this should have an MRI to make sure they don't have a brain that's as soft as baby poo poo. Sorry, strike the last part.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:04 PM
gsxrguy84
Racer

As long as said 17 yr old purchased the car with his own earned money then I don't have an issue with that at all. Pretty stupid if parents are going out a purchasing said car for their child however.

Either way chances are it will get wrecked at one point or another.

Quick Reply: 17 year old and C6