C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 year old and C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Very nice corvette Kyle. When I was 17 I knew that after high school I would be going into the Army. I wasn't the most mature kid around, but I did know what I wanted when it came to cars. I think somewhere I made a list, probably went something like this:

1. Corvette
2. IROC-Z
3. Trans Am
4. Buick GNX
5. Mustang GT

Now, ive owned 1-3 several times over, starting with Camaro's, then IROC, then Z28, then a few TA's, and now a couple of vettes. It took a little while to get to the vette, thank God, but I do feel somewhat mature now compared to my 17 y.o. self.

I will say this, im not sure how im still alive, other than a guardian angel riding shotgun with me on many many occasion. Always say your prayers and eat your vegetables, etc.

I guess the only point of my post is this, when I was a kid I set goals and those goals have all been met. Im 42 now, though just a big kid, and still setting and meeting goals, and I feel very much alive and love every minute of this life. I have a lot of life left in me and some days I feel like I can take on the world. Of course, other days I feel like im 42, but at least I feel something!

You will understand all of that someday. Until then, enjoy where you are now and thank your dad everyday that he lets you ride in his awesome car or even if he lets you drive it. Respect the car and your old man. My dad let me drive his older TA a couple of times, mostly though I would just keep it washed for him because I couldn't stand to see it dirty.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I guess if it's OK with your parents, who I'm I to question their or your judgement.

Hell the US will let you fight for this country.

All I can say is use good judgement and don't cave to peer pressure.

Just remember that if you act irresponsible you might hurt or kill somebody else.

At this point I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and congratulate you and wish you the best.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Bronsonf
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a 2007 corvette on my 18th birthday as a reward for being valedictorian and for handling many of the family finances. I personally take out my irresponsible urges on the track as well as empty parking lots owned by my friends' fathers.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

To you teenagers with vettes: Your friends don't make fun of you for driving an old man car???
Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Bronsonf
Instructor

Originally Posted by LFZ
To you teenagers with vettes: Your friends don't make fun of you for driving an old man car???
I hear it every once in a while but for the most part people are friendly. It may be my personality as I let friends drive it, kids take pictures in it etc. What I hear more often is jealous people telling me I'm compensating for something.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

At 56 I totaled my supercharged C5 screwing around. I'm a conservative driver. Just had a moment and it bit me. I have a C6 GS and respect the hell out of it. I think age doesn't matter. It's the person.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:41 PM
1Sikstik
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 124 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by BWF07
I have nothing against 17 year old's driven C6 Corvette's as long as they have the respect for them, which most 17 year old's don't. Those that are mature enough are few and far between. In today's world I see a lot of 17 year old kids driving high performance cars both domestic and import.
Maybe the ones that are against it are the guys that worked most of their life dreaming of owning a Corvette and they finally reached that point in their lives where they had the wherewith all to afford it and the idea of a 17 year old have a C6 just does not sit right with them.
I just hope that if you or another 17 -18 year old had the C6 given to you and you did not earn it you should feel extremely fortunate.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 546 Likes on 378 Posts

giving a c6 to a 17 year old is as smart as giving a 5 year old a loaded gun.it works if you have 0 common sence and live in a fantasy world.sad fact is that a lot of americans think like that today.that is why the country is going to hell in a handbag.you can justify anything in your mind,but it does not make it right, period.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Bronsonf
Instructor

Originally Posted by lordofwar
giving a c6 to a 17 year old is as smart as giving a 5 year old a loaded gun.it works if you have 0 common sence and live in a fantasy world.sad fact is that a lot of americans think like that today.that is why the country is going to hell in a handbag.you can justify anything in your mind,but it does not make it right, period.
I can see your reasoning, but I do not follow you to your conclusion. I attribute the decline of America to the growing role of the government as well as the disincentive to marry. The youth are becoming more rebellious and are fostered to disrespect authority figures (ie the pledge of allegiance). I can tell you I have given speeches at political summits and run 3 businesses, all of which are profitable. I do understand that adolescence correlates with certain hormones that are produced to allow an individual to test his/her limits for adulthood. I think we both need to agree to disagree and allow the creator of this thread to obtain the responses he sought.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its nothing but sour grapes, because some were poor and had to drive a beater as
there first car, if had a car, cry cry cry.

Get the vette, have fun. You will know how to drive it better than some 60 yo that had
to wait till retirement to have one.

I've driven the things since H.S.. Never cared what others thought, wasn't brought
for them, for me. Did I ever have trouble (vandals) at school, not once. Did not
have the car in peoples faces, came to school did my time and went home. Otherwise
at friends houses or the beach. Did not hang out at school.

Now that older getting tired of the vette. C6 is my last one. Had them when getting
in and out was nothing thought of. NOW oh heck I don't want to sit on the ground
anymore. C7 is neat looking but right now just don't want one. Will not say NEVER
because many know what will happen

Was looking at some pic of a dealer, showing some old guys getting a new vette.
100lbs over weight going to just slide behind that wheel. OOOOKKKKK.
Have fun but good bet the joints will tell a different story

Some say fortunate. It depend on your background. Guess to some a new toyota would
be fortunate. Too others a Jag or Mercedes is, and the vette would be a lesser car.
So what is fortunate to some it not too others

Last edited by texvette2; 08-29-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle.
Okay so not to start a hate thread, but i was reading a thread from a few years ago about someone who was 17 years old and got a C6 corvette. A lot of people say its stupid and shouldn't let a kid that young have a car with that amount of power. So here i am today, writing this post wondering why is it that you guys think a mature 17 year old shouldn't drive a C6? Im just curious?

- A 17 year old that drives a 2013 c6.
No such thing as a mature 17 year old....male or female.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 PM
AmericanVette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyle.
[/URL]

heres a pic of the car! this is after the rims got some Plasti dip! ill go out and take some more current photos!
Beautiful Corvette! Congrats!!

More pics!

I would worry less about a C6 because it sticks to the road and active handling will keep him safer than cars with less HP.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:49 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by vetten76
At 56 I totaled my supercharged C5 screwing around. I'm a conservative driver. Just had a moment and it bit me. I have a C6 GS and respect the hell out of it. I think age doesn't matter. It's the person.
I'm 46 and not sure I'm mature enough to drive my Corvette!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:13 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Not one, but two 18 year old's in my town are driving Lamborghini Gallardo's. Just waiting for the train wreck that this will turn into.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:34 AM
londonk
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Im 36 now and have had 8 corvettes in my life number 8 is a Zr1 2013

My dad said if you graduate HS with good grades ill get you the car you want so at 18 i had a 95 ZR1.... black n black Dunn headed car

I think its way cool that you have a vette..... good for you my man. Just be humble and safe... its amazing how my driving habits have changed
more worried about wrecking now at 36 haters are going to hate so just keep pimping
Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 AM
Run N. Gun
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I saved my money and bought my first car - a 1973 Corvette, when I was in high school in 1984. I worked my tail off to buy the car. I wasn't stupid or immature with the car, looking back on things, because I worked really hard for it. I raced it only at the track on Friday nights. I enjoyed driving the car and the attention it brought.

I completely support anyone of any age owning/driving a Corvette (new or used). I figure I could do it, Kyle can do it, too!!

BTW - Congrats on a beautiful Vette and welcome to the forums!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:48 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Had two Z28's before I was 20. Never caused any accidents (can't speak for other drivers who tried to race me), but easily racked up about 100 tickets. No such thing as a responsible 17 year old. Hate to burst your bubble. Also, is the Vette actually yours or did someone let you drive it once? Paid for mine with cash. Big difference between a $14k and $20k pre-owned and a $65k 2013 GS.

Last edited by ProfessorDeath; 08-30-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 17 year old and C6

Old 08-30-2013, 02:11 AM
jnguyenn16
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 18 and I own c6. I am pretty good about keeping the speed limit, mainly because of the local dragstrip. All of my temptation to drive fast stays on the track!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:13 AM
kyle.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LFZ
i drive a hummer as well, i get tons and tons of ******** from friends so when i drive the corvette the comments are less and usually its people shocked out of there mind seeing a kid get out of a corvette.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:22 AM
kyle.
Intermediate

i beg to differ with those that say theres never been a mature 17 year old. But hey, to each there own. Who am i to tell you your wrong. And hey, im not saying im a saint when i drive the car, so far the worst thing i have done while driving it was downshift while pulling into a parking lot while some girls were walking by.

Quick Reply: 17 year old and C6