C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mis matched wide body panels? help

Old 08-29-2013, 01:10 PM
timc6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mis matched wide body panels? help

Ive been wanting to do a wide body conversion on my 2007 base C6 for quite some time now. and i think i have just about every part i need.

My car is black and ive been serching for painted take off panels only so i could stay away from the body shop.

PARTS I HAVE SO FAR(please someone chime in if some of these parts will not fit or are wrong for fitment):

1. 2013 Black Z06 front bumper bare

2. 2013 Black Z06 rear quarter panels

3. 2012 Black Grand sport fenders(will these fit?!)

please anyone with some input on this help me out, like what else do i need to complete the job? im not worried about the ducts that cool the breaks. but i heard i might need inner liners?(whats the best place to buy)

Also what will be needed if anything to install this Z06 bumper?

I have new wheels coming in for it as well.

thank you!!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:15 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

z06/gs rear quarters,either will work since they're the same.The z06 front bumper won't fit on a base body front end if i remember correctly.They do make one that will though.Why not just buy all the stuff you need from GMPARTSHOUSE or PARTSTAXI and do it right.The body shop isn't the enemy.. you'll need all the inner liners and nuts and bolts too. Here's my base 08 after all the work..nice conversion.

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 08-29-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:28 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 815 Likes on 384 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I agree, the Z06 front bumper will not fit on a standard body. Also someone correct me if I am wrong, but They did not make and black Corvette's in 2012. Carbon Flash for the centennial edition only I believe. Also you will need the inner fender panels as well. It is not as simple as bolting on the rear quarter panels.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:32 PM
timc6
Advanced

Man thats new to me, i thought for sure the Z06 front bumper would fit on a base model C6, and i might be off on the year on the grand sport fenders.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Whipple C6
Heel & Toe

It will fit, you just have to do it with the wide fenders like you're already doing. You can ever taper the bumper edges in a "you can tell something isn't quite right with this car" kind of way, to make it fit with narrow body fenders. There are a sh*t ton of parts needed for the front bumper swap. You don't need the liners for the fenders you can buy or make extensions for your existing ones. You can search to find the list of parts needed to do the bumper swap and it is quite lengthy, but you can IMO skip some of the parts.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:51 PM
timc6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Whipple C6
It will fit, you just have to do it with the wide fenders like you're already doing. You can ever taper the bumper edges in a "you can tell something isn't quite right with this car" kind of way, to make it fit with narrow body fenders. There are a sh*t ton of parts needed for the front bumper swap. You don't need the liners for the fenders you can buy or make extensions for your existing ones. You can search to find the list of parts needed to do the bumper swap and it is quite lengthy, but you can IMO skip some of the parts.

Thanks! i needed that reasurace that the front bumper would indeed work with the new wider grand sport fenders. i also agree with some parts not needed such as the ducts. but as far as anything structural goes im sure i will need something new for the front bumper. And thats a great idea about just extending the existing linings!
Old 08-29-2013, 02:56 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Yes,with GS/Z06 fronts the bumper will work too.There's a vendor in parts selling wide read carbon fiber with no ducts for 840 shipped.That's a pretty good price in case you want to change up a little..
Old 08-29-2013, 03:06 PM
timc6
Advanced

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Yes,with GS/Z06 fronts the bumper will work too.There's a vendor in parts selling wide read carbon fiber with no ducts for 840 shipped.That's a pretty good price in case you want to change up a little..

Selling fronts or rear? And is that $840 a piece?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:39 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Selling fronts or rear? And is that $840 a piece?
Rear,CARBON FIBER, and it's 840 shipped for the pair! HERE:
Old 08-29-2013, 04:47 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

You should be aware buying painted parts may not all match.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:19 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Having done this myself you will need installation hardware, the scoop inners etc if not on fenders/ bumper. Call Gene at gmpartshouse and tell him the parts you Already have and he will tell you what else you need.
You can fill the gap on the inner fender liner or you can buy a new piece. I bought an aftermarket inner liner from Don at ss vette.
If you are going to mount the zr1 splitter, I would suggest getting the inner bumper brace to support it with the added down force at high speed your bumper opening can bend down. This mounts on the inside of the bumper opening
And yes the bumper will fit with GS fenders
david
Old 08-29-2013, 06:23 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You don't really expect Black panels from different cars to look the same?

Even if they were painted by the same machine/painter at the same time from the same bucket of paint they will not match unless they got exactly the same amount of sun, the same kind and amount of cleaning and waxing over exactly the same amount of time.

If you want a paint MATCH then repaint the full car. If you just want it real close get a GOOD painter to blend panels. If your goal is lower than real close then buy prepainted panels from used cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Mis matched wide body panels? help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mis matched wide body panels? help