C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flying Roof Club's Newest Member With A Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Flying Roof Club's Newest Member With A Question

A little story, and then a question:

OK, I've read many Flying Roof Club stories here over the past few years. I must admit, deep inside I always thought to myself, "that could never happen to me!" Even so, I took a page from my pilot training and created what I thought was a fool proof procedure: Anytime you're going to put the targa top back on the car immediately latch it, but as a precaution, lower the visors so that you can't miss it when you next enter the car. Fool proof....and served me well for 50+ removal/installs...until this morning.

My 25 YO daughter got promoted at work, so I was giving her my best inspirational pep talk on the cell phone as I opened the garage door to head out to the office. The sun was really bright, and it was already hot, so I had to put the top back on. I was doing pretty well with the inspirational speech, so I just put the cell on speaker phone and continued blathering on while I pulled the top out of the back and set it in position on top of the car. I then closed the hatch and finished my speech. At this point, I ended the call and hopped into the car feeling pretty proud of myself for being a supportive dad.

My cheerful mood all changed in an instant. As I turned onto the first feeder street outside my neighborhood and accelerated (maybe 30-35mph)....and suddenly, I was in a Vert with the sun shining in. It truly is a surreal moment as your brain pieces together what's happening. It was actually a very quiet event...no pops, groans or bangs....just suddenly sunshine and wind! I glanced in the rear view mirror just in time to see a beautiful swatch of torch red tumbling through the air.

As I slammed on the brakes, there is a surreal moment of absolute disbelief! That didn't just happen, did it? Of course that was followed by a few verbal expletives as I jumped out of the car and sprinted down the road to retrieve my roof. My anger/disbelief quickly turned to shame as I picked up the roof and saw a soccer mom slowing in her SUV to make sure I was alright. Talk about a "walk of shame" as I quickly carried my roof back to my car while trying to maintain my cool.

I was right in the middle of the road, so I quickly put the roof back in position, and jumped back in the car...and I swear, I almost drove away again without latching it! Fortunately a moment of clarity came over me, and I stopped again and properly latched the roof back into place. I continued on to meet my wife for bagels and cursed myself the whole way.

Now....the good news: The torch red body paint on the top received absolutely no damage, not even a little tiny scuff. The top must have landed perfectly flat on the ground interior side down. There's a bit of road rash on some of the plastic trim, and on part of the crossbeam...no big deal here....could easy replace the little plastic tabs and hit the crossbeam with a black sharpie (you can't even see the damage when inside the car).

But...the bad news: There is a crack in the crossbeam in the front next to the latch (photo below). Which leads to my question:

Is this damage repairable? Should I just replace the entire targa top? Will this crack continue to spread until the actual body panel is receiving the stress and it will eventually crack? Can I just reinforce it with something? I can't quite tell what the material is...maybe aluminum?

Anyway, any input or suggestions would be welcome!

Photos:

The road rash on the plastic tabs wasn't too bad:

The crossbeam had some rash, but you couldn't really see it from inside the car once the roof was back on:

Here's what's worrying me. These cracks...will they spread (probably)...with the weaker roof crack the body panel?

Old 08-28-2013, 12:05 AM
Jeff-Ford
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no idea about that crack and if it will spread. Id definitely keep an eye on it. Im just wondering how many times the soccer mom told this story so far.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:13 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jeff-Ford
Im just wondering how many times the soccer mom told this story so far.
I made eye contact. I couldn't quite tell if it was a look of pity, judgement , eye rolling or just a smirk. But I've been married for a long time, so I'm pretty used to all those reactions from my wife as I continue to do dorky things throughout my life!

I can tell you that I felt like such a loser for a few moments there!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:50 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
I made eye contact. I couldn't quite tell if it was a look of pity, judgement , eye rolling or just a smirk. But I've been married for a long time, so I'm pretty used to all those reactions from my wife as I continue to do dorky things throughout my life!

I can tell you that I felt like such a loser for a few moments there!

^ Man up - for a few moments there, you were a loser . . . . . but certainly not alone
Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 AM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Your not alone, it's a change in your normal routine that interrupts your standard procedures and puts you in the position to become a member of the club. My entry came many years ago very early in the C5 generation with my '98. Perhaps that makes me a founding member.

For the 15 years since I've been able to avoid raising my membership to another level.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Looks like minimal damage, all things considered. But you'd better watch out for leaks next time you drive it in the rain. Might be some seal damage.

Not sure about the cracks. I suspect that area is some sort of plastic vs aluminum, but really don't know. But as long as it works, and the damage doesn't bother you too much, no need to replace it.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:54 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I just managed to avoid entry into the club. Luckily my top started to lift and fall giving me time to slam the latch shut before I lost my top.

I would be on the lookout for a new top. You are able to take your time, so you might find a good deal on a used one.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry about that, those little corner pieces are costly but it looks like you need a new frame.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Sorry to hear. When I put my roof back on the visors are down. So if you do forget, its almost impossible not to see the visor and levers opened once you get in.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

wow,,,very lucky in many ways in deed...first it didnt hit the trunk, then it didnt hit anybody behind you, then it landed on the bottom side..?? you are one lucky man...the cracks might be fixable,,many epoxy glues out there that can do a great job,,,,i wouldnt buy another top just yet,,,check for air and water leaks first......by the way your story line was excellent...i was laughing and feeling sorry for you at the same time...best of luck....and latch that top!!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:41 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

MAN! I hate Cell Phones!

If it were my roof, I think I would find a used top.
I see them on Craig's List often for under 500.00.
This is the best excuse to buy a second roof and do a Carbon Fiber wrap on it and the halo.
That would look great on my car..
If it were me...
Old 08-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I suspect it won't last long with those cracks. I too leave the visors down until it's latched and I too swear it will never happen to me. Stories on here like this prove that it can happen to anyone. Thanks for posting a good reminder.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by veloz
the cracks might be fixable,,many epoxy glues out there that can do a great job,,,,i wouldnt buy another top just yet,,,check for air and water leaks first
I didn't think about epoxy...that's an excellent idea. I'm not sure what that material is. It's real hard....it felt like metal the few times I've smacked my helmet against it while autocrossing. That being said, it's real light, so must be some sort of real hard plastic. The shape of the frame leads me to believe that it was intended to provide some support and strength...and the cracked area is an obvious weak spot in the transition from the crossbeam to the latch itself.

Originally Posted by veloz
by the way your story line was excellent...i was laughing and feeling sorry for you at the same time...best of luck....and latch that top!!
I decided to take a few minutes and write up the story with the hope someone else might not fall into the same trap. Many years ago when I was a private pilot I used to read Flying magazine. They had a monthly article called Aftermath (or something like that). Basically a detailed write up of a crash or some other mishap in the air. The intent of the articles was not to dish up the gory details of a plane crash, but instead to provide details and insights as to the chain of events that lead up to the disaster. It was almost always a chain of events that could have been broken at several points along the way.

In my case, the chain was short. I had a SOP (standard operating procedure)....and even though I had done it that way at least 50 times before...this time I deviated completely. I even had failsafe measures (putting the visors down) built into the SOP and blew right by them because I was distracted on the phone. Hopefully my little story (although written tongue-in-cheek with a bit of humor) will remind someone someday to just take an extra 5 seconds and get focused when putting on their top.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 AM
dshamrick
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

I am so nervous about it flying off that every time I remember I had it off, I push up HARD on the roof before I start to move. I figure that if it is not latched, it will pop on me sitting still.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:38 AM
billet racing
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fly away

I once bought a vette that had a seriously scuffed top. Actually sold it before I had it repaired.

I too have tempted fate many times. when cruising with the top off, I usually leave it off when we stop. But at times, I just set it on, roll up the windows and close the door. I guess if someone saw me do it, they would not the car is not really locked securely. fingers crossed, this does not happen to me.

Jerry
Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Almost happened to me once, now no matter what one latch always gets locked when roof goes on.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:15 PM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I do just about the opposite. I put the roof in place and always latch the front/visor area and usually forget the back latch. I'll be driving down the road and notice it out of the corner of my eye. Still stops the heart for a beat or two.

Get notified of new replies

To Flying Roof Club's Newest Member With A Question

Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I came close to doing this once, but luckily noticed my error when I was backing out of my driveway. I popped the top on and planned to lock it down when I got in the car. Made the mistake of going back into the house for something and when I came back out I just jumped in and started backing up.

Would love to see GM install a sensor that would display a message that the top is not secure just like they do for the back hatch and doors. Would save owners money and possible injuries or worse to someone driving behind your car when the roof flies off.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:58 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

With the way you told the story I really felt as if I was there. As far as the damage you seem to be in good shape. I don't know if the crack will spread but it really doesn't look that bad. Clean it up with some black spray paint and see what happens. Worse comes to worse you have to replace the damaged parts.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Brockman66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tops pop up for sale here on the forum here all the time. I'd keep an eye on the one you have and jump on the first reasonably priced top that goes up for sale in your color.

Funny story, I can just picture you running back to your car with the top in your hand!

Quick Reply: Flying Roof Club's Newest Member With A Question