C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 C6 whining / hum from driver rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:27 AM
markmatthews
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 C6 whining / hum from driver rear

Hi all,

Over the past few weeks I would intermittently hear a high pitched hum coming from behind the driver seat inside the car. The hum can only be heard when the car is idling or stopped, never when the car is rolling. I tried cruising in neutral at 5-15mph and can't hear the hum at all. I do have a Corsa exhaust though so not sure if the hum is covered by the exhaust at any speed greater than 0mph.

I got out of the car and the hum is coming from the fuel tank area on the driver's side.

After not hearing the hum for a while (about a week), today the temp was about 100 deg and the hum was louder than ever.

From my searching on this forum, I am pretty sure it's probably the fuel pump, since the hum starts RIGHT before the engine turns on - i.e.
  1. Press the start button
  2. Hum for a quick second
  3. Engine starts

I've have had the Vette for about 1 year now and have put around 20k miles on it, just started hearing the hum around the start of this summer when the temp was rising.

Should this be a concern? I see no difference in oil pressure. But I don't want to press my luck with anything.

If the fuel pump was to fail, does anybody know if the DIC will send out a warning before, or will the oil pressure just drop and cause catastrophic engine failure? I'm out of warranty so definitely can't be too careful.

The car is an 08, z51, manual transmission with Corsa Sport exhaust (came with the car last year)

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 AM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Fuel pump has nothing at all to do with the engine oil pump, nor will a fuel pump failure cause low oil pressure. Your car WILL stop running, however, and when THAT happens the DIC will throw all kinds of codes. Fuel pumps do typically make a hum when they're running. No idea if what you're experiencing means yours is on it's last legs....

ADD: The hum may sound louder when your fuel level is low. Perhaps that is when you notice it most.

Last edited by icntdrv55; 08-27-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 AM
markmatthews
Racer

Originally Posted by icntdrv55
Fuel pump has nothing at all to do with the engine oil pump, nor will a fuel pump failure cause low oil pressure. Your car WILL stop running, however, and when THAT happens the DIC will throw all kinds of codes. Fuel pumps do typically make a hum when they're running. No idea if what you're experiencing means yours is on it's last legs....

ADD: The hum may sound louder when your fuel level is low. Perhaps that is when you notice it most.
My gas level was at 1/2 tank today when the hum occurred, I typically don't let my car get below 1/4 tank, it's a pet peeve of mine haha.

I had a turbocharged car with an aftermarket fuel pump before that used to hum quite loudly, but I never heard it in my Vette till recently.

Does your Vette have a hum from the driver fuel tank area as well?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:19 AM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

No clue. I'm old, mostly deaf, and the Bose is always turned up to 11...
Old 08-27-2013, 07:20 AM
markmatthews
Racer

Originally Posted by icntdrv55
No clue. I'm old, mostly deaf, and the Bose is always turned up to 11...
Haha, thanks for your help sir! Enjoy the Vette!

hopefully somebody else with a similar experience will chime in
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 AM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

If its directly below your **** I would suspect your diet. Beans, Taco Bell, hard boiled eggs and chilli should be avoided.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:02 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishSpuds
If its directly below your **** I would suspect your diet. Beans, Taco Bell, hard boiled eggs and chilli should be avoided.
...and the whining usually comes from the passenger's seat.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:28 AM
markmatthews
Racer

glad to see you guys are having fun, thanks for the laughs

anybody have any serious answer though? are all you guys' fuel pump pretty quiet?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our C5 had a very soft hum frequently.

Our 2006 had a moderate hum for one day only, then disappeared and never returned. I usually keep the fuel above 1/3 but don't recall that day.

On the C6, you can push the bottom of the start switch for about 5-10 seconds and it puts the car in a "everything live but doesn't crank engine mode" until you push the switch again. That might help diagnose things.

Get notified of new replies

To 08 C6 whining / hum from driver rear

Quick Reply: 08 C6 whining / hum from driver rear