Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
recentlydivorced
CF Senior Member

Default blackouts and the police

I was told tonight at a car get together that some LEO's do not like the blackouts for the brake lights due to the reduced illumination and will target cars with them. Anyone have that experience?
recentlydivorced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
Rky Mtn C6
CF Senior Member

It's not that LEOs "don't like them" it's the fact they are illegal in some states. If you check the products you will probably see warnings such as: "Daytime Use Only" or "Check Local Laws Before Installation."

1978 Black L82 4 speed
2012 Supersonic Blue Grand Sport
Rky Mtn C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
pewter99
Auctioneer Administrator
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Support Corvetteforum!

that and its a good way to get rear ended.....I had them on my 99 for awhile years ago....while they may look good they really do block a lot of your tail lights during the day
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
BWF07
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

/jack.tipton.16

First check and see what your state and local traffic laws say. Second as already stated, they do block a lot of the light so in my opinion day or night they could be an issue and actually more in the daytime. At least ay night you can see the slight difference from the normal light illumination from the tail light and the difference when you apply the brakes. Also there is the issue if you are rear ended and the blackouts are illegal the insurance may not cover you, or at least you may be in for a fight with the insurance company.
BWF07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
mickey5
CF Senior Member

With the number of people texting and talking on cell phones and now staring at GPS screens why in the world would you want to diminish tail/brake light illumination?
mickey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
vet55
waiting for the boom...
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey5 View Post
With the number of people texting and talking on cell phones and now staring at GPS screens why in the world would you want to diminish tail/brake light illumination?
Scary enough out there.
vet55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
AddisonD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

They don't look right. Simple as that.
It's like deciding you don't like the color of the sky and want to get a set of goggles to make it look red. Waste of time, money, and emotion.

If I was a cop, I'd fit your opening profile.
I dont like them.
I'd stop a car with black outs every chance I had.

Last edited by AddisonD; 08-25-2013 at 07:28 AM.
AddisonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
wayback
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddisonD View Post
They don't look right. Simple as that.
It's like deciding you don't like the color of the sky and want to get a set of goggles to make it look red. Waste of time, money, and emotion.

If I was a cop, I'd fit your opening profile.
I dont like them.
I'd stop a car with black outs every chance I had.

I'm glad you are not a cop.

Had mine painted for 5 yrs and have only been stopped once. No ticket, he was fishing. 107,000 miles and no close calls at all.
Paint blocks less light than the covers and reflects the correct light as the law requires.

Gone but not forgotten:
1969 coupe custom gold and brown metalic
2000 c5 coupe VR/red
2005 c6 coupe 3lt VR/Cashmere
2006 Monty Red/ Cashmere/Beige Vert 2lt
wayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
AddisonD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayback View Post
I'm glad you are not a cop.
Have no concern. I'd be a lousy cop.
And I'd be scared sh*tless to stop a car, especially at night, and be hoping that the driver was reasonable.
AddisonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
pokerpro
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=mickey5;1584755006]With the number of people texting and talking on cell phones and now staring at GPS screens why in the world would you want to diminish tail/brake light illumination?[/Q

You do make a good point, and I'm not really a fan of blacked out tail lights.

However you could make a case of why do you tint your windows? wouldn't you want to see as much around you while driving as you possibly can without any obstruction? Just sayin.
pokerpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
rsssguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

These have since been replaced with the angel eyes LEDs that I also had tinted. Mine are pretty bright even with the tint. I love the way the markers/lights look, especially on the black cars. I've never been pulled over and they were tinted when the car had 23 miles on it. I now have 4200 and have seen a hundred Leo's, none of which have ever made an issue. They do compliment me on the car though when I see them at gas stations,etc.
rsssguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
Slammin07
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddisonD View Post
Have no concern. I'd be a lousy cop.
And I'd be scared sh*tless to stop a car, especially at night, and be hoping that the driver was reasonable.
Any patrolman who says they weren't nervous as sh*t during their first traffic stop is a liar. The first couple times I pulled someone over, I was probably more nervous than the person I was citing. So yeah, when the entire contents of your glove box falls onto the floor board, you're not entirely sure you have your license with you, or you're almost certain that your car is going to be towed because you were doing more than 25 over, just multiply that by ten and that's about what a rookie police officer feels like.
Slammin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

RWHP - 440.786 RWTQ - 439.494 I love to drive!!! 07 Vet Mileage = 177,968. http://togetherweserved.com/ http://www.coasttocoastam.com/ http://www.survivalistboards.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post

that and its a good way to get rear ended.....I had them on my 99 for awhile years ago....while they may look good they really do block a lot of your tail lights during the day

I have seen that a few times, both trucks & cars.
Gering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
dvilin
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWF07 View Post
First check and see what your state and local traffic laws say. Second as already stated, they do block a lot of the light so in my opinion day or night they could be an issue and actually more in the daytime. At least ay night you can see the slight difference from the normal light illumination from the tail light and the difference when you apply the brakes. Also there is the issue if you are rear ended and the blackouts are illegal the insurance may not cover you, or at least you may be in for a fight with the insurance company.
dvilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
SilverScorp
CF Senior Member

If your going to black out your rear lights I highly suggest replacing them with the LED tail lights. They are much brighter and shine thru the tint brighter than stock with no tint. Plus the LEDs will last far longer than a bulb.
SilverScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #16
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=pokerpro;1584755163]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey5 View Post
With the number of people texting and talking on cell phones and now staring at GPS screens why in the world would you want to diminish tail/brake light illumination?[/Q

You do make a good point, and I'm not really a fan of blacked out tail lights.

However you could make a case of why do you tint your windows? wouldn't you want to see as much around you while driving as you possibly can without any obstruction? Just sayin.
I have a problem with other people's cars that have tinted windows. How many times have you been driving down the street/road and a car with dark driver's windows are waiting to pull out onto the street you are driving on. You can't see the driver to see if he see's you. Many times I have seen a driver not paying attention(with no window tint) and with me being able to see that he is more interested in his phone, etc, then me and he pulls out in front of me, I have taken evasion action to prevent an accident.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
AimHigh
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsssguy View Post

These have since been replaced with the angel eyes LEDs that I also had tinted. Mine are pretty bright even with the tint. I love the way the markers/lights look, especially on the black cars. I've never been pulled over and they were tinted when the car had 23 miles on it. I now have 4200 and have seen a hundred Leo's, none of which have ever made an issue. They do compliment me on the car though when I see them at gas stations,etc.
Im diggin' that blue sticker on the left side of your plate brother...
AimHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #18
Slammin07
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Slammin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
Hameister
CF Senior Member

Location: Wellington, Florida - Where 'Vette Season is 24/7 - 365 except for hurricanes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWF07 View Post
...Also there is the issue if you are rear ended and the blackouts are illegal the insurance may not cover you, or at least you may be in for a fight with the insurance company.

Well meaning folks are always giving insurance advice which is rarely factual. Illegal or not, I have never seen an exclusion in any first party insurance policy, (and I've worked in about 30 states), regarding this subject.

I'd like to see a reputable link to even one case in which an insurance company refused to pay a first party "Collision Loss", because the insured created liability with tail lights that were not as bright as stock lights. Even one case in which the carrier gave the insured a hard time before paying. One link please!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
Abraham Lincoln
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
R&L's C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameister View Post
Well meaning folks are always giving insurance advice which is rarely factual. Illegal or not, I have never seen an exclusion in any first party insurance policy, (and I've worked in about 30 states), regarding this subject.

I'd like to see a reputable link to even one case in which an insurance company refused to pay a first party "Collision Loss", because the insured created liability with tail lights that were not as bright as stock lights. Even one case in which the carrier gave the insured a hard time before paying. One link please!

My wife is in insurance also and like she say's, no policy has a stupid clause. As long as someone didn't commit fraud, the insurance company is required to pay.
R&L's C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:01 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page blackouts and the police