C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blackouts and the police

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 06:06 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
Looks like someone just detailed their 'vette...looks good
Thanks D. Yup I went to town yesterday, and took the whole console / shifter boot assembly off to fix the "stuck in park" annoyance, with the help of Rich28, a wonderful CF member who volunteered sharing his experience of the operation. (see this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1584752533)
Success! Fixed without breaking anything (and it's mostly plastic you deal with in there). I had a slight scare when I dropped a 7mm socket inside the bottom of the console base, but the telescopic magnet took care of business.
So I celebrated by sweating off a good quart detailing her. Was worth it. The ole' girl still looks pretty good if I say so myself.

Sounds like you don't like my state. Why stay here?
I tried putting it in a little less direct manner, but that's exactly what I think when I hear another Floridian describing the State climate as unbearable.... there are still 49 other options in the continental US right?

Old 08-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GuyFromLeMans
...Success! Fixed without breaking anything (and it's mostly plastic you deal with in there). I had a slight scare when I dropped a 7mm socket inside the bottom of the console base, but the telescopic magnet took care of business.
So I celebrated by sweating off a good quart detailing her. Was worth it. The ole' girl still looks pretty good if I say so myself.

I tried putting it in a little less direct manner, but that's exactly what I think when I hear another Floridian describing the State climate as unbearable.... there are still 49 other options in the continental US right?

That's great, glad the annoyance is licked! That's the kind of project I'd let go until December or January, when I know I can work in temps in the upper 60s, and low 70s.

Yeah, sometimes I'm a little too "direct", but I wasn't trying to be a wiseass. I was just wondering why he's staying here, that's all. If I felt that way I'd move.

But then again, there's always the job, wife, elderly parents, and other things that prevent folks from moving.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
If your going to black out your rear lights I highly suggest replacing them with the LED tail lights. They are much brighter and shine thru the tint brighter than stock with no tint. Plus the LEDs will last far longer than a bulb.

The question is can an LEO give you crap about blacked out lights? Yes, they can for pretty much anything. Especially if a local law states they are illegal. There are a lot of idiots out there though that will use the excuse that you caused the accident because the lights were too dim. You are already at a disadvantage with people that follow too close/not paying attention because the Corvette can stop quicker than most cars. 10-20 feet is huge when you really need a good set of brakes.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

If you've got a post missing, it's because PR&C is over yonder.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes. Florida is hot and humid for about 6 months a year. It's been like that for many thousand years, and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's gonna stay this way, at least until its under water again.

Sounds like you don't like my state. Why stay here?

Yeah, sometimes I'm a little too "direct", but I wasn't trying to be a wiseass. I was just wondering why he's staying here, that's all. If I felt that way I'd move.

But then again, there's always the job, wife, elderly parents, and other things that prevent folks from moving.
I never said it was unbearable. I just said the truth... it's a highly humid environment most of the time due to the rain and heat that usually isn't as bad but this year has been relentless. It's just an all around bad day when you expect to go outside on a hot day and it starts to pour down rain. Everyone goes even slower and drives around with their flashers on

I'm fairly lucky in Jax. The tropical storms and hurricanes aren't too bad once they get to my areas.

As for why I live here.... I've been stationed here the last 7 of my 8 years in the Navy. I've always enjoyed it here simply because it's sunny out even if it is usually hot. I'd rather enjoy my car in hot sticky weather when I can at least have the A/C blowing than in any snow or slush back in Illinois or Missouri.

Florida has to be one of the most relaxed states on vehicle mods as well. No emissions testing and I've only gotten pulled over once in my old Mustang for dark tint. Didn't even get a ticket for it.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:25 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kadorja
I never said it was unbearable. I just said the truth... it's a highly humid environment most of the time due to the rain and heat that usually isn't as bad but this year has been relentless. It's just an all around bad day when you expect to go outside on a hot day and it starts to pour down rain. Everyone goes even slower and drives around with their flashers on

I'm fairly lucky in Jax. The tropical storms and hurricanes aren't too bad once they get to my areas.

As for why I live here.... I've been stationed here the last 7 of my 8 years in the Navy. I've always enjoyed it here simply because it's sunny out even if it is usually hot. I'd rather enjoy my car in hot sticky weather when I can at least have the A/C blowing than in any snow or slush back in Illinois or Missouri.

Florida has to be one of the most relaxed states on vehicle mods as well. No emissions testing and I've only gotten pulled over once in my old Mustang for dark tint. Didn't even get a ticket for it.
You make a lot of valid points here, and I agree with the brutal summer, but your layout of the "truth" is missing the part of the year between November and May which is typically heavenly and hard to beat wherever one lives, with respect to weather.

So to put this thread back on tracks, waddya think of blackout tail lights?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You make a lot of valid points here, and I agree with the brutal summer, but your layout of the "truth" is missing the part of the year between November and May which is typically heavenly and hard to beat wherever one lives, with respect to weather.

So to put this thread back on tracks, waddya think of blackout tail lights?
Personally I don't like the look on some Corvettes. It stands out in a weird way for me. I don't think they are as horrible as some people make them out to be. It's just like window tint... you can usually see the tail lights very easily with them on. Some people bring up the good point of losing the reflective part as well but honestly you should still be able to easily see a car with blacked out lights at night even with the lights off.

I have the 'Jake' skull on one of my lights with a spray on tint and at night when I hit the brakes you can't even tell it apart from the other lights.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rakuhn
Why in the world you want to put something like that on a car? Are you trying to reduce you visibility and make it more difficult for cars to see you?

That aside, call your local State Police Post and they will be able to answer your question as to the legality
Some colors look like poop with red lights.

Would this look better with any other color than black tails?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:01 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Hugger orange is pretty swell.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:38 PM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by florida john
What is it? Is it a reference to the "thin blue line"?
Yep it is
Old 08-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kadorja
Personally I don't like the look on some Corvettes. It stands out in a weird way for me. I don't think they are as horrible as some people make them out to be. It's just like window tint... you can usually see the tail lights very easily with them on. Some people bring up the good point of losing the reflective part as well but honestly you should still be able to easily see a car with blacked out lights at night even with the lights off.

I have the 'Jake' skull on one of my lights with a spray on tint and at night when I hit the brakes you can't even tell it apart from the other lights.

This is the way to say "class" in my opinion. Well done... subtle; thinking defferently and not following the herd... speaking of which, it seems to me I see the blacked out brake lights on Nissan Altima's more than anything else here on the California Freeways...
Old 08-25-2013, 11:50 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep in mind, not only does blacking out the tail lights reduce brake light brightness, it also prevents the reflectiveness of the brake light when the car lights are off.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 AM
AddisonD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have spent many days driving in all parts of Florida over the last 25+ years. I love the state, and would live there in a flash if not for a long-standing career that has me pretty much high-centered right here. However ...

It is down right laughable that you guys in Florida think you have anything on Houston in the high heat, high humidity contest.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:18 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AddisonD
...It is down right laughable that you guys in Florida think you have anything on Houston in the high heat, high humidity contest.

I know what you mean, I spent a month in Houston one weekend. Man, the heat and humidity was just unbearable.

This summer has been unusually humid, and very rainy. We complain, but say nothing December through April, when we have 5 months of weather, that's like living in paradise. Out doors every day, with temps in the low 70s, blue skies, and humidity around 35%. Just delicious!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 AM
MelAnn
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember the old saying;

It's not the heat. It's the humility!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 AM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

I tinted my Eagle Eyes as well......IMO they look MUCH better tinted and they still are plenty bright.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:12 PM
tubesteak
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsssguy

These have since been replaced with the angel eyes LEDs that I also had tinted. Mine are pretty bright even with the tint. I love the way the markers/lights look, especially on the black cars. I've never been pulled over and they were tinted when the car had 23 miles on it. I now have 4200 and have seen a hundred Leo's, none of which have ever made an issue. They do compliment me on the car though when I see them at gas stations,etc.
Where did you get the inserts that fill in each side of the Double "D" exhaust ???? Me Likeeeeeee!!!

Get notified of new replies

To blackouts and the police

Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

At the Roger's Arkansas show this weekend, there was a black out...black Z06. It had black film on the headlights, black out taillights, and a cover on the license plate. Although it looked mean as hezz, and won a trophy, I wondered how he was able to pass a cop without getting stopped.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 PM
c6vette142dude
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99

that and its a good way to get rear ended.....I had them on my 99 for awhile years ago....while they may look good they really do block a lot of your tail lights during the day
I'd guess that if you looked at all of the cars that were rear ended, most didn't have any mods to the lights. The overwhelming great majority of rear-endings are because of inattentive drivers.

The Authorities like what they like and dislike what they dislike. Many laws are meaningless, but they exists solely because someone who makes the rules dislike an 'act' or product. These are the types that don't like change. Nothing new though, it's always been that way.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 AM
AddisonD
Pro

Originally Posted by c6vette142dude
... Many laws are meaningless, but they exists solely because someone who makes the rules dislike an 'act' or product. These are the types that don't like change. ....
To clarify where I am coming from, I am damn near an anarchist and a proper Texan, and despise many rules, regulations, policies, and laws.

And, from even that perspective, this is one of the more naive comments about laws and their enforcement that may ever have been written. And, it completely disregards the fact that many laws and regulations are written precisely for the purpose of forcing change.

Quick Reply: blackouts and the police