C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable Roof Storage Bag Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 02:13 PM
hwhiteco
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Default Removable Roof Storage Bag Question

Looking for recommendations on the best protective bag for a removable roof stored primarily inside the vehicle.

Does the GM bag, Part #12499749 and/or other makes, have provisions for the roof to be firmly secured to the mounting brackets inside the car with the bag on?

Also, I'm assuming all bag types would accept either the painted or clear roofs, is that correct? Thanks for any assistance! ~
Old 08-24-2013, 03:25 PM
gaphono
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The GM bag does not allow for storage in the rear of the car. It will accept either top.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:26 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I'm not sure why you would need a bag to store in the rear or have I heard of one. My GM bagged painted top hangs on my garage wall.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:35 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I'm not sure why you would need a bag to store in the rear or have I heard of one. My GM bagged painted top hangs on my garage wall.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:38 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of this either... You could just wrap a soft blanket around it when storing in the rear if your afraid of damage.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:36 PM
hwhiteco
Advanced

Originally Posted by gaphono
The GM bag does not allow for storage in the rear of the car. It will accept either top.
Thanks Billy!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:51 PM
hwhiteco
Advanced

Default I'm Not Sure Why Either?

I'm not sure of why one who only occasionally drives with their roof removed & stored in the vehicle would not want it protected from the rigors of variable dynamic driving motion as well as the potential hazards of loading & unloading cargo...yet it seems perfectly normal to bag & store a roof at home under beds or on racks on walls, etc, where it's usually a more static, stable environment?

Possibly, some of us either think a little outside the GM engineering box and/or just may be a tad more fanatical with maintaining or pampering our Vette's?

At any rate, here are 2 storage bag products for like-thinkers regarding roof storage inside the vehicle I just discovered.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-8...5-2013-c6.aspx

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-7-163-6402.html

Old 08-25-2013, 03:13 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by hwhiteco
....rigors of variable dynamic driving motion as well as the potential hazards of loading & unloading cargo...
"Variable dynamic driving" is the best description of me driving my Corvette that I have ever heard!
Old 08-25-2013, 03:22 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by hwhiteco
I'm not sure of why one who only occasionally drives with their roof removed & stored in the vehicle would not want it protected from the rigors of variable dynamic driving motion as well as the potential hazards of loading & unloading cargo...yet it seems perfectly normal to bag & store a roof at home under beds or on racks on walls, etc, where it's usually a more static, stable environment?

Possibly, some of us either think a little outside the GM engineering box and/or just may be a tad more fanatical with maintaining or pampering our Vette's?

At any rate, here are 2 storage bag products for like-thinkers regarding roof storage inside the vehicle I just discovered.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-8...5-2013-c6.aspx

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-7-163-6402.html

It may work for you as long as your top is crystal clean before you bag it every time and that's all that matters but that's way too much hassle for the majority. My theory is once you get it and fight to bag it every time you'll probably think twice the next time. I'm more worried about it being covered in the garage to keep accidental bumps and dirt off. Good luck with it.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

It may work for you as long as your top is crystal clean before you bag it every time and that's all that matters but that's way too much hassle for the majority. My theory is once you get it and fight to bag it every time you'll probably think twice the next time. I'm more worried about it being covered in the garage to keep accidental bumps and dirt off. Good luck with it.

We had a bag to store the transparent top on our C5 when it was in the trunk. A real PITA to install/remove, almost dropped it a couple of times. Dirt or grit on the top can cause scratches, and become imbedded inside the bag to provide more scratches next time.

We bought one of those soft woven (not stiff plastic) "bumper bib" protectors for the rear bumper, would flip it forward over the luggage before storing the top in the trunk to protect the inside of the top. You can also use a large clean cotton towel, black to reduce reflections.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:45 PM
slamminc6
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I have one that allows you to store it in

Get notified of new replies

To Removable Roof Storage Bag Question

Quick Reply: Removable Roof Storage Bag Question