C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question to the Muscle Car Fraternity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Pittcorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Question to the Muscle Car Fraternity?

Ok, A little bit about myself. I am a 40+ year old man. I have had the honor and privledged to own several sports cars, new and old through out my life. My first car was a 1977 AMC spirit, 1981 280z, 1977 Porsche 924, 924 porsche turbo, 1995 camaro, 1996 camaro, 1998 firebird, 2000 Ram Air Trans am, 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, and now 2012 C6 Corvette. I started Japaneses, and then I went Euro but I always loved the look and sound of a AMERICAN SPORTS CAR. Why ohhh Why are the auto makers so interested of changing the persona of the AMERICAN sports car to mimic the look of European cars? Example, Please don't bash my next comment. C7 european looking car, ferrariish with a rear end thats familiar to another vehicle and ill leave it at that. The new Mustang, ummm looks like a Ford Probe from the 90's. New Dodge Barracuda, again looks nothing like their past. Haven't the automakers learned from the pontiac replacement in the late 90's early 2000's of the Trans am with the G.T.O.? Now yes the G.T.O. was a fast car, but it lacked the WOW LOOK factor of an AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR, like for say a Trans Am. I am a car guy, as you can see by my previous vehicles that I have owned. I have no loyalty to just one manufacturer and when I buy a vehicle because bottom line is that I like it. I was talking about this subject with a co-worker last night who served in the military. By the way to all military personnel, THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU HAVE SACRIFICED FOR OUR FREEDOM. He told me that European people pay TOP DOLLAR for American Muscle cars. I know im just venting, but I just tired of this type comment. We are trying to make the american cars more "EUROPEAN LIKE". By the way I am in LOVE WITH MY C6!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:04 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

There is a whole lot that goes into making a car these days, its not only about the look and horsepower. Things that drive automakers are profitability, C.A.F.E., safety, and universal appeal. In other words, they have to build a car that is deemed safe, meets standards for fuel efficiency and emissions, and that will sell in large enough volume to make money.

Keep in mind that it has become a global economy, and simply designing a new vehicle may cost several hundred million bucks. The new C7, seemingly accomplishes all of the above, while paying homage to the style of the corvette, a unique challenge. Many have already fallen in love, just go look in C7 to see.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP must have started drinking early
Old 08-24-2013, 08:17 PM
noz34me
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice rant- - -I've had a few of the cars you've had as well; still have my Challenger though. I've wondered what my choice would be if I could only keep one of them.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:24 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I don't consider the Corvette, especially the C6 a muscle car. It's a real sports car. A muscle car is more like a Challenger, Mustang, Camaro, etc.

I suppose the C2 and some C3s were "muscle cars", but that was long before I was born. Even since the C4 was introduced, the Corvette has been a sports car, and probably some time before then.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Mike Cunningham
Heel & Toe

Default Muscle cars

I too come from a muscle car history. I grew up in the 60's and remember when they were new and hot. My car history is 70 Cuda, a couple nice Nova's, 23 Bucket T with a 454 LS6, two Challengers, a Torino GT, 55 Chevy Bel Aire, Chevy 454 SS pick up, 87 Corvette and 2012 Camaro SS2 45th anniversary model among several other less outstanding Muscle Cars. The 2012 Camaro is so far superior to the earlier Muscle cars that they can' t be compared. I now have a 2013 Corvette Grands Sport 4LT. This car, although not a Muscle Car in classic terms, will out muscle in every way any of the others. It maybe called a sports car because of its looks and the fact that it can also handle, but it definately is a Muscle Car as well, and we haven't even included the ZR1 in this discussion. Maybe I am biased because I remember when Sports Car meant MG's, Triumph's and the like. Sorry but I can't put a Corvette in that category. Mike
Old 08-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Pittcorvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I don't consider the Corvette, especially the C6 a muscle car. It's a real sports car. A muscle car is more like a Challenger, Mustang, Camaro, etc.

I suppose the C2 and some C3s were "muscle cars", but that was long before I was born. Even since the C4 was introduced, the Corvette has been a sports car, and probably some time before then.
Yes, sports, muscle, American cars it's my point.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:05 PM
noz34me
Pro

I agree with this post. Some of the earlier Vettes had the big block engines and made a lot of power, but they really weren't any more capable on the "twisties" than their muscle car brethren.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:35 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
I agree with this post. Some of the earlier Vettes had the big block engines and made a lot of power, but they really weren't any more capable on the "twisties" than their muscle car brethren.
I remember driving the big block Vette's back in the late 60's and being disappointed in how front heavy they seemed. I actually preferred the small blocks. Even so they were much better than the Chevelles, Nova's, big block Camaro's, Mustangs, GTO's, etc. through the twisties. So many of those cars were really evil handling and so front heavy that they just plowed on straight when you wanted them to turn. Today's cars are so much better than those venerated "muscle cars" where handling is concerned.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

So what is your question?
Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by florida john
I remember driving the big block Vette's back in the late 60's and being disappointed in how front heavy they seemed. I actually preferred the small blocks. Even so they were much better than the Chevelles, Nova's, big block Camaro's, Mustangs, GTO's, etc. through the twisties. So many of those cars were really evil handling and so front heavy that they just plowed on straight when you wanted them to turn. Today's cars are so much better than those venerated "muscle cars" where handling is concerned.
Real muscle card of old were intended to go fast in a straight line. Trying to turn one going fast or stop in a hurry usually was a catastrophe waiting to happen.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

the drag-strip, or "stoplight racer" concept...

what enamored all of us was the ability to get big cid/hp engines in mid-size vehicles, and then in "pony-size" vehicles...

(nothing wrong with it...it was what is was !)
Old 08-25-2013, 07:44 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you ask me, "europeon design" started back with the Ferrari's. The front and rears resemblef first in the C3 design. It is simple aerodynamics. That design still stands, even up to the C7!
Sexy design, better mileage(aero), appealing to the masses, and powerful....that sells cars. Isn't that what the makers are aiming at?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I was always under the impression that Muscle cars have a back seat, sports cars do not.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Interesting thread...have to chime in.

I started with big block Camaros in the late 60's, had a few Malibus, more Camaros (Z28's), GS 455; all were muscle cars. However I always yearned for the ultimate American sports car, the Corvette. I have never viewed the 'vette as a muscle car, although they have been involved in drag racing, in addition to: circle track, etc., since I can remember. Back in the 60's and 70's if you had a big block C2 or C3, you were bada$$. I guess it really does not matter what you call it, or what category you want to put it in, it is a damn fast, super handling car.

I always like to think of it as Americas only True Sports Car.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:29 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Nothing wrong with some of those European Look cars. American muscle nice for collectors, car shows, drags, etc. but not many want to stay stuck in the past for new car purchases/offerings.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:19 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I believe the term "sports car" has morphed into what was earlier called a grand touring car. Ever since manufacturers started using GTO, GT, GS, or similar designations on mid-sized cars in an effort to make them sound higher performance, the real grand touring cars started to take on the sports car name. The new term for those faux-GT's became "muscle cars". The previously named sports cars don't exist anymore except in rare instances such as the Miata, yet many consider the current 2-ton, 4-passenger, low HP, Camaros and Mustangs to be sports cars. Today we have sport sedans, sport SUVs, sport trucks, sport vans, and sport cross-overs.

The days of the true sports cars are gone. The replacement is a grand touring car equipped with all the creature comforts found in most luxury sedans.

Get notified of new replies

To Question to the Muscle Car Fraternity?

Old 08-25-2013, 03:40 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

As far as why the C7 is more "European" looming, I would argue against this. It is clearly Japanese looking. It has striking similarities to the GT-R. It's simple demographics though. Many current vette buyers are aging out of them, and the next generation of vette buyers are used to imports. They drove german and japanese luxury cars, and like stuff that is edgy over fluid.

They have to appeal to the buyers. C7 has targetted people who would otherwise buy a Mercedes SL with toys and such. They want it to be a global car, tthat can compete with much more expensive cars on all levels.

The C7 is growing on me, but I still prefer the looks of the C6.

Last edited by FAUEE; 08-25-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Pittcorvette
Burning Brakes

Ok,thanks for all the input. One i was not drinking when I wrote this. I was getting ready to go to work due to i am currently working night shift for my municipality. 2nd I would like to appologize about the muscle car/ sports car comment. I know that the corvette is not for say a true "muscle car", but in MY OPINION it can be classified as both "sports car/muscle car". My question to the fraternity was not about the sports/muscle car title but more the manufacturers sudden fascination with making AMERICAN CARS, more european looking. I am sure that everyone here has recently read where the new mustang will have more of a european design. The new dodge cuda will have a more european design and even the corvette will have more of a european desgin (ferrariish). Every article concerning the new car models have that phrase some where in their articles. Bottom line is this, if I wanted a European looking vehicle, well i'd buy a porsche, ferrari, lambo, bmw, mercedez, etc. funny part is that europeans want american cars. Yes i know its a marketing thing but common, and again I LOVE MY 2012 C6 not european looking corvette. I know im going to get comments for this last sentence.

Hmmm C7 how can i say it. This is to GM, in my opinion, the rear end of the car is.......HORRIBLE!!!!!!!

Last edited by Pittcorvette; 08-25-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Mustangs Camaro's and Challenger's (add AMX if you like) were considered/classified as "Pony cars" (Sure you could get them with huge engines if you wanted to), However, True Muscle cars back in the 60s-early70s were typically Big Block powered mid and full size cars like 454 Chevelle's, Pontiac GTO, Road Runners, GTX, Hurst Olds 442s, 427 Galaxy's and a lot of other cars of that nature. Typically they went fast in a straight line!! Turning was what you did when you pulled into your driveway.......
And while Corvettes certainly had big block engines of all sizes and power output available, the Vette is still first and foremost classified as a sports car.

Quick Reply: Question to the Muscle Car Fraternity?