C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator cracked

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

+1 on a Dewitts as a replacement. No crappy plastic side tanks.

The tranny lines are a bit of a PITA. Patience is required to get them. If you get a Dewitt's Tom put new clips in the fitting already so all you have to do is push in the pipe. Nice in case when you remove the clips they go flying and beam up into outer space. There are some threads on the Dewitts install and it should have the info in one of those.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:08 AM
roadgrader
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a noob I've been reading everything I can about problems. Could curb or driveway contact cause this and do the covers for the radiator supports help prevent radiator failure?
Old 07-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well apparently these are SNAP rings? (for the oil cooler) What is the best way to remove them without damaging anything?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:23 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by roadgrader
As a noob I've been reading everything I can about problems. Could curb or driveway contact cause this and do the covers for the radiator supports help prevent radiator failure?
Altho your questions are slightly off topic the answer is yes, and no. Curb, driveway contacts can cause breaking the rad supports and damaging the radiator, too, but not necessarily does that follow breaking the supports. The covers may (stress: may) help you slide up or over a very slight curb or whatever, but if you think about it, it doesn't really strengthen the rad supports. It does, however, add a small amount of extra thickness thereby making contact a very small amount more likely (1/2 or 1/4 inch?). jmo
Old 07-25-2014, 05:36 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bario
I didn't need a new support but I did have my radiator crack this winter.(plastic end cap cracked)
My dealer wanted almost $1000.00 and I would have ended up with the same cheap GM radiator and a 12 month warranty.

I ordered a DeWitts all aluminum radiator during their January sale for just over $500. Lifetime warranty. Unpacking it revealed not simply a radiator but an automotive work of art. It was a shame to install it and have it covered up!

Pulled old rad. Installed Dewitts and new hoses. Did it myself in an afternoon. It's really not hard at all. Far better than the stock rad, half the price, better warranty, and as a bonus the engine runs a tad cooler in traffic and recovers from high temps much faster.

IMHO, Just say no to the dealers quote.

B
Did you change the fan too??
Old 07-26-2014, 01:09 AM
bario
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
Did you change the fan too??
Nope. I thought about it but decided that I would just re & re the stock fan to save some money. But now that I know how easy it is to pull the rad/fan out I may upgrade the fan next year if Dewitt's has another January sale. Just to have something to do on a snowed-in January weekend.

Can't say if it's just due to a better quality rad, or whether my old rad was getting mucky inside, (I flush and fill every 3 years), but I definitely notice much better cooling with the DeWitt's than what I had before.

B

Quick Reply: Radiator cracked