C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Corvette Fun Facts Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:07 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Powercat47
Hmmmmmmmmm.... I have a 2011 GS manual and the oil pressure gauge tops out at 80 psi. Maybe they used last years left overs on mine???
If you read ALL the posts you would have realized that it was determend that only the ZR1 and the ZO6 had that gauge not the GS.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Someone just made that up along the way. They say the same thing about the two blade spinners on the C1 and the three blade spinners on the C2.

My 56 has OEM hubcaps with OEM spinners and three of the four hubcaps have the bottom of the cross flags pointing at the opposioppositete side of the hubcap from the valve stem. The spinners also show no evidence of ever being removed from the hubcap. To verify this I personally looked at a 1959 fuel Injected Corvette that a friend owns, and he bought it new in 1959, and he has had possession of it since it was new when he drove it home from the dealer. It has never been restored and the spinners have never been removed from the hubcaps. All four of his spinners did not line up with the valve stem holes as some claim as "correct".

My 1964 is all original and all four of the hub caps do not have the spinners lined up so the cross flags line up with the valve stem hole. The spinners have never been removed from the hubcaps either.

The spinners on the old hubcaps were mounted with screws and they did not have to be removed to change a tire of to have the tire balanced.

My 09 Z06 doesn't have any of the cross flags lined up with the valve stem, but the center caps have been removed so the tires could be balanced. I didn't check them when they were new, but I doubt if anyone installed them so the "point" lined up with the valve stem, either at the factory or at the dealer during the PDI.
mine are impossible to line up. They point at one of the spokes in the wheel.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,426 Likes on 14,042 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Lots of interesting facts - se I knew, some totally new stuff. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:10 AM
lotecredneck
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
...or someone who doesn't keep up with keeping them clean

I keep up with mine but yes those are the ones that get dirty. Plus w/full headers and no cats it gets dirty even faster.
Yes they do!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:54 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Another fun fact:

The HUD (if your car has one) is focused so that it appears to be at the same distance as the front of your bumper. A handy parking aid, if you have really good depth perception.
OK, this is my new favorite fun fact! I have an 8 foot table (Costco fold-up special) across the back of my garage. I park with the nose of the Vette just at the edge or slightly under the table. When I enter the garage with the headlights on, I know when to stop by the little heart shaped pattern on the wall....but when I pull in during the day, the lights don't always come on. This tip has removed a lot of the guess work.

Using this tip, I just pull in until the HUD floating image appears to be just about to touch the table. In my case it puts the nose under the table just about an inch and a half (which happens to be the perfect spot for my garage). So, I guess in my case it appears to focused just at the bottom point of the crossflag logo on the hood.

Anyway, this turned out to be a great tip that I now use everyday! Thanks for sharing it!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 AM
JRS_MY_C5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
We've all picked up a few oddball tidbits of Corvette information over the years. I thought it might be fun to start a thread to share some of these little gems. Just fun facts about Vettes. Some may be common knowledge for CF regulars, some may be obscure useless trivia. Maybe something you picked up from the factory tour, or the museum. Maybe just a general observation. Whatever. If you've got something, share it!

I'll go first. I learned this on this forum, but then confirmed during my buyer's tour:

When a Corvette wheel center cap is properly installed, the "point" at the bottom of the C6 crossflags logo should point to the valve stem.

The Right Way:

Wrong:

Wrong:

Wrong:

And while I didn't notice it, at one point it was wrong on my car (I don't recall fixing it, so perhaps they fixed it at a tire change or during my early on alignment):
I checked my center caps and the point is towards the valve stem on all four wheels. I did the museum delivery so I guess the museum guys know how to put the center caps on correctly!

J.R.

Quick Reply: The Corvette Fun Facts Thread