C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sequel to "My Dissatisfaction with my 2013 Corvette"

Old 08-19-2013, 09:14 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I saw this and just enrolled my gf in weight training so we don't have any issues with the roof. I even have a plan for the targa if that's the way we go. I'll put the car in the yard and she can practice with the targa top. That way if it ends up on the ground while she practices it ends up in the grass and not on the driveway. I'm sure she can operate the e brake but this is a family forum and I can't tell you how I came to that conclusion.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:37 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Did you say in the other thread that you "should have bought a Carrera S? Seriously! I could only imagine how many complaints you would have on a car that starts at $100k before the book of options.

My wife is 4'11" tall and had no problem closing the lid on our GS Vert. The forward latch actually is easy when it is broken in (new fabric is real stiff). The primary goal of the front latch is too keep the roof on the car in strong winds (I can tell you it is good at even 130 MPH).

Gas cap issue was fixed by GM. Yes, you have to be careful with the front lip and it doesn't have a rear view camera. The radio system is actually 9 years old (which you didn't complain about the stereo which is a common fault). Sorry, this doesn't have increased road height like certain cars. Watch out for curbs and potholes also.

Brake dust? I'm guessing you have a GS/427. Stock pads will generate a lot of dust. If they are not then you have a problem. Warning! They will also start squealing and this is considered normal by GM. GM didn't use ceramics because the Corvette owner couldn't push their car as much as they want on a track with ceramic brakes.

Never heard a problem about the ebrake handle.

Yes my daughter's Sonic's ($15k car) has auto up windows. Who cares? Steering wheel does adjust automatically just not up and down. Both are simple in operation though.

I'm trying to remember about the other items you commented on but too be honest you probably shouldn't have mentioned that you drive a Prius.

I didn't see anyone that was really out of line in your original thread. I heard worst in church to be honest.

There are a few things you missed that are common. Tire wear is pitiful. You may get 10k miles, 15k if you are lucky. Tire noise from the OEM tires is pitiful if it says Goodyear on the side. Stock tires are terrible in rain and borderline dangerous when it is cold out. Seats are not great on the track. XM sounds like it has a muffler on it. You will wonder why your Vert (I'm guessing GS) gets low gas mileage compared to what others report or what the sticker says. Your drinks and anything you put in the center console will get warm.

All these topics are discussed a lot on this forum. Welcome to the forum I guess.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 PM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RHMinetti
To those of you that have responded positively to my original post I sincerely thank you for your input. It is indeed appreciated.

To those of you that have responded negatively, including those of you that have used less than desirable language, please consider not responding at all in the future, certainly not if the response is going to be less than positive; it really serves no useful purpose.

There are, and always will be, those that are satisfied with the "status quo" and those of us that continue to push for positive change. Hopefully the positive change crowd will win out and make things better for everyone, not only where Corvettes are concerned.

Even one of your board members responded quite negatively to the original post and is apparently not in tune with any positive change nor, in my mind, is a progressive asset to your board in general.

I did not post the original post so I could be ridiculed but so that I could help bring about some positive change. I can see that most of the Corvette owners that responded are not of a "positive change" mindset.

Be that as it may, buying the Corvette may have been a mistake where my wife's capabilities are concerned, and some of my desires, but joining this "Forum" may have indeed been my biggest mistake.

Again, thank you to those that have responded positively, you are a credit to this Forum. Stay in there and continue to provide valuable input, in spite of the "naysayers".

Sincerely,

Richard H Minetti

Richard,

I agree with your post...

something a professor taught me some years ago and I saw her put into practice:

Neither lack of education no lack of up-bringing excuse bad manners.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:02 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by J Christensen
Richard,

I agree with your post...

something a professor taught me some years ago and I saw her put into practice:

Neither lack of education no lack of up-bringing excuse bad manners.

^ Perhaps a remedial course with the Prof, on capitalization, spelling, and punctuation, would be good ?!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Interesting points of view. A couple of observations. First two problems I see with GM is they tend to clean sheet a new design and second they do not make significant updates to designs to a new versions comes out. As an example my 00 Cadi had a remote release e brake when the shifter dropped out of P. My 05 did not. Why? A new team worked up the 05 and never reviewed the good points of the previous generation. The NAVI in the Cadi an 05 poor design is the same I have in my 13 GS. What a disappointment.

BUT it is a 50 60 K car.

When I looked at the C7 I was motivated to look at Jaguar and Porsche. WOW for twice the money.........yeah I'd expect more......a lot more!!!!

The C7 addresses a lot of the issues you point out. Unfortunately you bought a car with a dated design. Came out in 04 and not really updated for 9 years. But the C6 is so much a C5 so the dating goes back even longer.

GM does listen however they move slow.

Good luck.........
Old 08-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

GM makes cars - including the Corvette - for one reason only; to make money. They've now sold over 200,000 C6 Corvettes; who knows how much profit that equates to. That's pretty successful for a car that some people whine and moan about incessantly. A Corvette is not for everyone any more than any other car. It sounds to me like the OP bought his C6 without doing any research at all, and then found out he doesn't like it. That's not GM's fault, that's the buyer's fault. Period.

To send a letter to GM asking for lots of changes to the C6 - after C6 production has permanently ended - is pretty funny.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

While I too have some issues regarding the C6 I knew going in that some would exist. No car is perfect.

I was looking for the power and handling along with what, I still consider to be a great looking car.

I was a long time Porsche admirer and after being able to afford one and driving it was disillusioned.

On a lark I test drove a 08 C6 and immediately knew that this was what was missing with the previously owned E46 M3 and 350 Z Grand Touring as well as the 911.

I also wanted the least optioned car. The 1LT has all and more than I require.

My Son just bought a Lexus IS-F and it is a beautiful car but not what I would of bought nor what I want in a non daily driver, just to much glitz and options and most importantly a non V8.

Just some thoughts of a first time Corvette owner as well as a first American car purchaser since 1969.

The C6 does have some annoying faults but the thrill of driving this car trumps the shortcomings.

My budget was $100,000 and the $39,000 I paid ( new ) was money in the bank. I feel as if I had my cake and ate it too.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM
AddisonD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good grief. I do feel sorry for you. Purchasing mistakes are not fun.

I am not offended that you don't like these cars. A lot of people don't like them. I know a lot of folks that can't really believe that I bought one.

But gee, man - that letter is just plain laughable. It would be analogous to buy a high-quality double barrel skeet gun, and then write to the manufacturer to point out all the reasons you were disappointed because it didn't perform like a 9MM semi-automatic pistol.

I suggest you write a letter to yourself, complaining about the major purchasing mistake you lead yourself into. How could you do that to yourself? I'd be disappointed in myself, too. Heck, I am upset anyway, because I bought a pair of pricey shoes a few weeks back, and after just one wearing I realized I made a mistake on how they fit my foot.

In any event, you really should sell the car quickly and get this over with.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Are both of these threads a joke? The only thing you left out of your letter is your disappointment that the car doesn't steer automatically. Geeez
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,296 Posts

118,000 miles on my C6.... 600,000+ total miles in Corvettes

I have more than 300,000 miles in Porsches...

...more than 200,000 miles in BMWs...

...and, now, as of yesterday, more than 6,000 miles in a Ferrari...

...they're all cars.... just CARS...

Drive 'em, enjoy 'em, love 'em, sell 'em, trade 'em..... but never forget they're just cars......
Old 08-19-2013, 11:48 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
My Son just bought a Lexus IS-F and it is a beautiful car but not what I would of bought nor what I want in a non daily driver, just to much glitz and options and most importantly a non V8.
Not to be off topic but the IS-F is a 5.0 V8. A very high tech motor with a much more complex design than the Corvette LS motors.

That being said, I just sold my IS-F and am awaiting the arrival of my C6
Old 08-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I just read your letter to GM and your original post. You are complaining about things that just dont suit you or your wife, These "gripes" you have are pointless since you must have or should have thought about them before you bought the Corvette. The car is a High Performace Sports Car designed to provide excitement and fun for the driver. It was not designed for nor should it have all that crap you think would make it better. Those are personal preference issues only and have ZERO impact on weather or not the Corvette is a quality car or not. You Sir, should never have purchased a Corvette, you fall far short of understanding the history and meaning of what owning a Corvette is all about.

Last edited by Rogers 07; 08-20-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogers 07
I just read your letter to GM and your original post. You are complaining about things that just dont suit you or your wife, These "gripes" you have are pointless since you must have or should have thought about them before you bought the Corvette. The car is a High Performace Sports Car designed to provide excitement and fun for the driver. It was not designed for nor should it have all that crap you think would make it better. Those are personal preference issues only and have ZERO impact on weather or not the Corvette is a quality car or not. You Sir, should never have purchased a Corvette, you fall far short of understanding the history and meaning of what owning a Corvette is all about.

On top of that the one thing that GM has been good about is paying attention to the Corvette Customer. To the point they almost ruined it. As America's butts got larger and people complained about the seats being too constraining and uncomfortable because they held them in place they made seats that would fit the larger size but would no longer hold a person in place when going around a corner at .9 Gs. I thought the comparison to a Prius on brake dust was interesting since the Prius uses regenerative braking so it can recharge its battery. Yes, it has brake pads but they don't have to stop a car from 150+ mph.

Bill
Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I kinda remember your original thread. I thought is was at best an unusual thread for what appeared to be an adult with some wits about them. But now you've gone and dispelled even that thought with this thread.

I don't know what your life experiences have been, but I do know some of the folks on this thread. Maybe not face to face or personally, but by their dozens and even hundreds of posts. So, you join in August of this year with whatever accumulated life experiences you have along with your brains, ability to research, number of prior cars you've had---and you blast the Corvette and now the CF members who criticized you.

You need to look in the mirror and ask your self: can all these people be wrong about me, or am I wrong about me? Scott2 in his first post on this thread sums it up.

In six plus years of being on here, I don't think there've been 25 posters who have said my C6 is perfect and has always been. The documented/posted issues are legion-AS THEY WOULD BE WITH ANY CAR. If you'd bothered to research a little on here, you'd have found that GM actually does monitor this place. You would have also found that you are not the first to say just about anything. Anything, that is, until you got to the part in this thread where you say this car may have been wrong for you and your wife, as well as coming on the Forum.

Well, gee, no one's going to pick on your wife, nor will I. But here's what you can do: sell the car and leave the Forum. Or continue to withstand the critique of those who probably know more about the car (and life) than you do, or that you have demonstrated, so far.

Last edited by AORoads; 08-20-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 08-20-2013, 03:12 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Has the OP left the building?

Just to relate my experience that somewhat parallels to OP, here's how my C6 ownership started.

Took a 1/2 mile test drive in Phoenix. Joined the forum and ordered one with the options I wanted from a forum dealer in MI. Flew to MI to take delivery. Proceeded to drive it home.

I really didn't know much about the car, how it worked, or any of the good/bad points that get discussed here. By the time the car was built, I was learning from what I read here. When my wife and I flew to pick up the car with 4 suitcases and our fingers crossed that they'd fit. I paid cash for the car simply because I could.

My wife asked me on the flight, what I would do if I didn't like the car. I told here I'd sell it as soon as we got back home. Even though the alternator died, had a flat tire at 800 miles, and it rained 23 of the 30 days and took us 5,500 miles before being in it's own garage, I learned to love it despite the problems and faults.

The difference between me and the OP, is that I was willing to sell and buy something else if I didn't like what I bought. No need to complain about a purchasing error, especially to the manufacturer. I never complained to the parents of my 2 ex-wives either.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds to me like you should have bought a CTS-V and not a Vette.

U.M.

Get notified of new replies

To Sequel to "My Dissatisfaction with my 2013 Corvette"

Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 AM
yellowGS
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Default This must be a troll

I just read the original post and the follow up. His complaints compare the Vette to a Prius. Really? His wife can't operate any of the vehicle components, but they didn't check this before shelling out 60k?

Funny thing is we could send a dissatisfaction letter to GM with REAL complaints and the letter would be really long, but I still love my Vette.

This is a corvette forum for people who love there vettes. Sell it, get one of those new 60k Porches with all the bells and whistles....wait.....You can't get another high performance car like the Corvette for 60k!!!!!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:56 AM
RHMinetti
Disabled by request 24 August 2015

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmtrtrnd
Richard I thought and maybe some others did also that the post was from someone in a Porsche Forum trying to stir up trouble, that kind of thing does happen. I don't think anyone on this Forum thinks the Corvette is the best car in the world or that car couldn't be improved. The thing is with every improvement comes added cost and many times added weight, with added weight comes less performance. The Corvette is more about performance than luxury and goes toe to toe with cars that cost much more to buy and operate. When you match or better the performance of cars costing two or three times as much then you must give up some of the things you think should be standard. Sounds like your looking more for a Boulevard cruiser with all the bells and whistles than a performance car so maybe you did pick the wrong car. That doesn't make the vette any less of the very fine car that it is, you just didn't do your homework before buying. The C7 will be a big improvement over the C6 and when the C8 comes along it will be even better C7 so these cars are always getting better. Maybe you should look into a Mercedes or Audi, just be prepared to pay more and get less performance.
Thank you for your informative response. I did buy the car as a "Boulevard Cruiser" and while I don't think some of the things I mentioned should be standard, for the buyers like me they should have at least been optional.

I would like to have had a better mechanical advantage when using the emergency brake. That would mean it should be in-line with and directly under my right arm or on the left side of the console. Someone replied that if the emergency brake was on the left side of the console it would interfere with the shift lever. When you are running the brake handle would be down and out of the way, and since I have shift paddles on my steering wheel there would be no interference.

The other items were, I thought, to improve the car.

I could go on but, oh well, I tried.

Richard
Old 08-20-2013, 07:09 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I think personally, that the Corvette, or this forum isn't for you.
Any performance car is going to have brake dust, is going to be lower than a normal car, and at the price range of the corvette, is not going to be a boulevard cruiser with all the luxury items you want.
Maybe next time you should do your homework before buying a sports car.

Just as you had the freedom of speech to air your opinion of the Corvette
and the members of this forum, they have the same freedom to air their opinion of you and your threads.

Search this Thread