C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pick a purchase (Z06 versus Grand Sport)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:21 PM
11Black-GS
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my GS b/c a Z was out of my price range. If I were in your shoes I would get the Z06 but only if I could get a nice warranty with it in case the previous owner(s) used and abused it.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:27 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
If you plan on taking the car to the track, the Z would be the better choice. For street use, go with the Grand Sport.
Easy, simple, to-the-point.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:43 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

whichever one you like better.Newer is almost always better.Even though it's not apples to apples where performance is concerned.I like taking my roof off.My 2LT 13GS was had for less then 50 grand.Not a centennial though.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:13 PM
nous defions
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
If you plan on taking the car to the track, the Z would be the better choice. For street use, go with the Grand Sport.
I could not have stated it better (and, I actually didn't).
Old 08-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

I wouid go with the 12 GS. The LS7 issues scare me and I wouldn't own it without a warranty. Even if you can get a warranty on the Z06, it would be out of warranty in a few yrs.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Jeff-Ford
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nous defions
Easy answer:

a) Want to go fast? More HP? Get the Z06.

b) Want a powerful, yet, completely equipped and aesthetically well designed sports car? Get the GS.

I don't think one is better than the other. They are just different and please varied taste in driving.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:53 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Drive both to see what you prefer. Look at what you get with each model, then decide for yourself what best fits your needs/wants. If you do go with the Z06...don't let Corvette Forum hysteria convince you that your Z will break. There are a lot more strong running and driving Z06s out there versus broken ones.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Ozzy12
Racer

All comes down to what you are using it for. Me personally, I couldn't give up the ability to remove the top..it's 90% of the joy I get out of having a corvette. To me, the extra 69hp (436 v 505) just isn't worth the sacrifice of the open air driving. For ZR1 power, then yeah I might bite the bullet. Now, if I was a track guy and did that all the time, then okay I'd probably change to a Z, but for now I'm perfectly content with my base coupe.

Also agree with LFZ above, don't let the LS7 valve issue scare you. A lot of people found the forum because they had a problem and were looking for a solution or somewhere to voice their displeasure. I'd say you definitely would fined a lot fewer failures in the marketplace per capita than on the forum.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:27 PM
AmericanVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by hdkeno
Either way you win.....

I would pick the Z06.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:37 PM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I would drive both , that should help you decide. If it was me I would go with the GS because of the warranty. It may still have the 3/36 bumper to bumper on it and also the balance of the 5 year /100k drivetrain coverage. I myself would not feel comfortable with a Z06 not under warranty for 50k. PS you can extend coverage with GMPP.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:14 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

While there is nothing wrong with the GS and the removable top is great but there is just something about the Z06.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:19 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,247 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzy12
Also agree with LFZ above, don't let the LS7 valve issue scare you. A lot of people found the forum because they had a problem and were looking for a solution or somewhere to voice their displeasure. I'd say you definitely would fined a lot fewer failures in the marketplace per capita than on the forum.
Exactly, enough of a reason to stay away from them IMO.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:25 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Clear example of someone who's fallen for the hype.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:26 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,247 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Clear example of someone who's fallen for the hype.
Are you saying they don't have a know, real problem with the valves on some of them?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcat29
I am a self proclaimed gear head that has owned many cars including racecars but not yet a Corvette, so I wanted to open the question up to all the experts here at the site to assist this corvette virgin...
Z06, hands-down.
My '08 JSB now has 32K & has been easily the most reliable, thoroughly enjoyable car (of any marque) I've ever owned. Pure joy to drive, and I'm one of those who loved my removable paneled Corvettes to boot.

Just one thing, the selling dealer (hopefully a GM store) may well offer you an extended waranty at time-of-sale, ideally a GMPP. Don't think, buy it. Do NOT "mod" the engine w/ tune, cam etc.
Doing so will void a warranty pronto.

FYI in the unlikely event your Z06 did suffer a broken exhaust valve it'd trash the engine requiring replacement. A new LS7 costs ~$18 large (+/- a few bucks) which would include installation. A risk not to be taken likely.

IF no waranty's available get the heads rebuilt, budget ~$3K for the job though I've seen less cost. Point is after heads are bullet proofed on nonwarrantied Z06s, it's ready for years of enjoyment.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:52 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

So here's the question... Which car would you buy? 2009 Z06 1LZ or a 2012 Centennial GS 3LZ with ride control. They are both 10k in miles and both are just under $50k in price. Both appear to be in excellent condition. The Z has new Michelin rubber.

I am a self proclaimed gear head that has owned many cars including racecars but not yet a Corvette, so I wanted to open the question up to all the experts here at the site to assist this corvette virgin...
The key statement here is"A self proclaimed gearhead" The only answer is the ZO6.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Ozzy12
Racer

I think that's with anything, not just LS7 exhaust valves. Look at the flying roof folks: I dont think it happens that often in the general Vette population, but when it does people find solace in seeking out others who did the same thing and before you know it you have a 20 page viral thread. Over on the Escalade forum everyone has an electrical issue: it doesn't mean that escalades have debilitating electrical issues and no one should buy one, its just that those issues come up and people ask others for their opinions and advice. Yes the issues exist, but it isn't every other car like a forum makes it sound like.

Get notified of new replies

To Pick a purchase (Z06 versus Grand Sport)

Old 08-18-2013, 05:21 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Are you saying they don't have a know, real problem with the valves on some of them?
Only the majority of guys that read this forum are convinced that all Z06s are destined for valve drop...like yourself. Go out into the real world, and its hardly existent. It's not enough reason for anyone to totally steer away from an opportunity of owning one of the greatest corvettes ever made.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Ward Cleaver
Southern Piedmont Area
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tt350z

I didnt want to buy a GS and every time I see the Z06 try to convience my self that its almost the same thing.

Plus...tons of people that dont know much about cars will ask is that a Z06..And then you have to tell them no its a GS...and (explain to them) why you got it over the ZO6.

I have a ZO6.

Hmm, I can't agree with this being a valid rationale that this fellow should be using in making his choice between the two cars.

Using your rationale, anytime a ZO6 owner (such as yourself) would see a ZR1 he would have to "try to convince himself" that his ZO6 is "almost" the same thing.

Or anytime a ZO6 owner is out and about in his car, "tons of people who don't know much about cars" will be asking..."Is that a ZR1?"
And then you have to tell them..."No, it's a ZO6," and explain to all of them why you chose it over the ZR1.

I don't imagine that "tons of people who don't know much about cars" are inquiring of you all the time whether or not your car is a ZR1.
When those "tons of people" see a Corvette, they simply see a Corvette...they don't see a ZR1 or a Grand Sport or a ZO6...because they "don't know much about cars" as you say (and even less about Corvettes). So they usually just say..."Hey man, nice looking Vette."

And the Corvette guys won't have to ask you what type of Corvette you have, because they already know about Corvettes.
From those guys you'll usually get a wave if you're out driving, or if you're in a parking lot they might give you a comment such as..."Hey man, nice looking Vette."

A friend of mine has a beautiful looking Grand Sport and that's the type of comment he usually gets. He tells me he can't recall even one time (much less "tons" of times) where he's had to stand in a parking lot and try to "explain" to people his reasoning for choosing a particular model of Corvette.

Which car would you buy, 2009 Z06...or a 2012 Centennial GS?

They are both 10k in miles and both are just under $50k in price.

If the decision were mine, I'd easily choose the 2012 GS.
Here are my reasons (yours may be different)...

1) The 2012 is newer and still under factory warranty (a BIG check in the "plus" column for the 2012 Vette).

2) The 2009 is no longer covered by a factory warranty (a definite check in the "negative" column for the 2009 Vette).

3) Although both cars have the same mileage, it's more probable that the ZO6 was beaten harder or abused more during those miles than the Grand Sport was. Combine that with the warranty already being expired on the ZO6, and that places another check in the "negative" column for the 2009 Vette.

4) The cars I buy are for driving on public streets and highways. I have no interest in racing any car that I buy or beating it and attempting to push it to its limits on occasional weekends at a drag strip in an attempt to see how quickly I can cover a distance of 1/4 mile.
Therefore it's not that important for me to have a car that will go from 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds as opposed to 4 seconds, or having the capability to attain a top speed of 197 MPH as opposed to 190 MPH...and most certainly not important enough for me to purchase an older car with an expired warranty to get an extra 7 MPH and an extra 3/10's of one second.
0 to 60 in 4 seconds and the capability of a top speed of 190 MPH is more than adequate for driving on public roads, and any C6 Corvette is easily capable of handling a winding country or mountain road without difficulty. For me, another check in the "plus" column for the 2012 Vette that's three years newer and still under factory warranty.

5) The Grand Sport is a better street car with a better ride, but still has the type of power, cornering ability and braking that need make no excuses to any imported sports car. Another check in the "plus" column for the 2012 Vette.

I guess the main thing you have to decide is whether you want a car that is capable of accelerating from 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds as opposed to 4 seconds, is capable of a top speed of 197 MPH as opposed to 190 MPH, and has a somewhat stiffer suspension...all of whose limits you won't be testing and pushing unless you drive it at race tracks.

Then you have to decide if an extra 7 MPH top speed, 3/10's of one second and some stiffer suspension is important enough to you to buy a car that's three years older with an expired warranty.

Regards,
-Ward

Last edited by Ward Cleaver; 08-18-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:29 PM
RULEMKR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by kenw
While there is nothing wrong with the GS and the removable top is great but there is just something about the Z06.
There's just something special about the Z, and will probably always be. JMO.

Quick Reply: Pick a purchase (Z06 versus Grand Sport)