C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shhhhh Don't Tell GM but I Got A Chance To Drive A C7 Yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kdepew
I agree with alot of others that the rear is horrible. I guess we have Tom Peters and Ed W. to blame for that. Someone on this thread suggested those responsible for the rear should be fired. I think Tom and Ed should be looking for new jobs (hopefully jobs that don't involve the design of sports cars).

I am surprised that it seems like GM thinks all the complaints are just because they didn't use round taillights. I don't think the actual taillights look bad. I think the rest of the back is attrocious. The mascara vents are rediculous. The black diffuser going so high up on the back is horrible. The rear is just bad. I definitely think that rear could be a deal breaker for alot of potential buyers. For the most part I like the look of the C7. The one thing I don't think I could ever live with is the rear.

GM designed a polarizing rear end. I know they say they wanted to take a risk, but I can't believe they are happy with how polarizing that rear is (of course they will never admit it). If they knew the response would be what it has been, I don't think it would look the way it does. If they really think it is all just traditionalist who want round rear lights (which I understand those who would have liked round rear lights), then I think they are missing the point. It is an ugly rear and would still be ugly whether it had round, square, or whatever shaped rear lights.

If enough people don't like it and it hurts sales, maybe GM will eventually take the complaints serious and redesign it. It wouldn't be hard to come up with something better. It would be unusual to get a significant redesign mid-life, but it is unusual for the Corvette team to put out anything like that rear.

I'm sure there are initial complaints with every generation design, but I don't think the complaints about the rear of this car are like those on previous generations. There are various complaints about other aspects of the design, but I think the general opinion is positive on most of the car. There are those who state they like the rear. There are those that state the rear has grown on them. However, there are also ALOT of people who absolutely hate that rear. Someone at GM approved the design of the Pontiac Aztec. That was a failure. While the C7 Corvette is no Pontiac Aztec, I think the rear styling is almost as bad.
Couldn't have said it better!!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:33 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The C6 IMO is one of the most beautiful Vettes ever produced. That C7 abomination ranks under the C4. Maybe GM will offer something better in a year or two.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:48 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
The C6 IMO is one of the most beautiful Vettes ever produced. That C7 abomination ranks under the C4. Maybe GM will offer something better in a year or two.

But this is looking pretty damn good too....

Attachment 47733295

Last edited by R&L's C6; 09-30-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:43 AM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by matthewelle
Da Supervettes crew is promoting this as a solution to the C7 rear woes:
Now this is what I'm talkin' 'bout.
True American innovation at work!
Ask and ye' shall receive.

You soften those edges a little
more to take away the BMW
flare and you've got it!

Why couldn't GM do that?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,501 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
The C6 IMO is one of the most beautiful Vettes ever produced. .
Old 08-20-2013, 09:44 AM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Try cleaning the black by the tail lights, looks cheap to me! The rear COULD HAVE BEEN A HIT! Bottomline a REAL MISS!!! Butt Ugly to me!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewelle
Da Supervettes crew is promoting this as a solution to the C7 rear woes:
This is 1000% better. It isn't just the tailights, but the whole backend that doesn't flow with the rest of the car. The tail end in this pic would deft solve the issues.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:24 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

The problem with this is that unfortunately it only looks good from a side view..why?BECAUSE the rear abomination is not seen.If it were just the rear end that was the problem that would be one thing, but it's the car as a whole that just does not work.Unless one buys it and always looks at it from the side view,one can't miss the butt ugly car that it is.Not to mention that it's only 460 HP...7.5 LBS per hp.Nowhere near enough of a jump to overcome the cosmetic butcher job.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:33 AM
SkyTopp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
The problem with this is that unfortunately it only looks good from a side view..why?BECAUSE the rear abomination is not seen.If it were just the rear end that was the problem that would be one thing, but it's the car as a whole that just does not work.Unless one buys it and always looks at it from the side view,one can't miss the butt ugly car that it is.Not to mention that it's only 460 HP...7.5 LBS per hp.Nowhere near enough of a jump to overcome the cosmetic butcher job.
The rear end styling of C7 is Vile looking compared to the rest of the design. I can't imagine how that tail got approved for production. The C7 makes me sad when I look at it from the rear.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
...Not to mention that it's only 460 HP...7.5 LBS per hp.Nowhere near enough of a jump to overcome the cosmetic butcher job.
Sorry, but every time I hear someone complain that 460 HP is not enough, it gives me a chuckle.

And, adding that 460 HP isn't enough to overcome the rear end, gives me a real ol' fashioned belly laugh.

Hey, I'm not a fan of the *** end of the thing either, but come on...let's keep things in perspective.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:15 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

You guys are old.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:11 PM
WinnipegC5
Instructor

I think the c5 Z (exterior) is the best looking vette to date. But that’s just my opinion.

I am in the market for a c6 Z for the performance upgrades and somewhat of a better interior. The c7 interior looks amazing. It’s about time gm stepped up their game in the interior department. It actually looks like a interior designed for a supercar. As long as they don’t put the same interior in their 2014 cobats, they have two thumbs up from me.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:25 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Sorry, but every time I hear someone complain that 460 HP is not enough, it gives me a chuckle.

And, adding that 460 HP isn't enough to overcome the rear end, gives me a real ol' fashioned belly laugh.

Hey, I'm not a fan of the *** end of the thing either, but come on...let's keep things in perspective.
If you read what I wrote in the context it was written you'd see that what I said was that 460 hp isn't enough of a jump to overcome the ugly factor of the whole car not just the rear end. Enjoy your old fashioned belly laugh..
Old 08-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

All I have to say is the view from the rear is a deal breaker for me from the initial viewing.

Not crazy about the dash either.

The interior uppgrade in materials nice as are the seats.

I am sure it will be accepted as it gets seen on the streets more.

But the rear is really bad....
Old 08-20-2013, 06:02 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by SkyTopp

... [snip] ...

If I could drive it blind folded I don't think I could really tell the difference between C6 and C7.

... [snip] ...
That one sentence pretty much sums it up.

People will buy a C7 if they like the styling better (some will), they want to be the first kid on the block with the new Corvette (many will in 2014), some will succumb to the GM marketing hype, or it might just the the right timing in their life. (They are simply in the market for a new Corvette and all the leftover C6 have been sold.)
Old 08-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 287 Likes on 127 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

How did this become a thread about the looks of the C7, when it's about a troll who says he drove a C7 with no proof?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Anyone keeping track of the negative posters? Will they be in the C7 section in a few years?

Get notified of new replies

To Shhhhh Don't Tell GM but I Got A Chance To Drive A C7 Yesterday...

Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by vet55
Why couldn't GM do that?
Because to me, that rear end is worse than the 4 semi-vertical taillights from another thread. Truly disgusting.

The C7 rear end is not ideal, I think we can all agree, but it is not a make-or-break proposition for what is sure to be a hit sports car.

Personally, I will have a C7 at some point in the future, but right now it's just an unnecessary expense.

(to no one in particular)If you prefer your C6, that's fine too, but don't come in bashing/praising the C7, demanding others respect your opinions, then turn around and bash their own opinions, essentially perpetrating the same offense you just took issue with, simply because they differ from yours. It's very childish, and only serves to withdraw any semblance of wit or intelligent conversation.

Last edited by ProfessorDeath; 08-20-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ladder13
Anyone keeping track of the negative posters? Will they be in the C7 section in a few years?
^^This
Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 PM
kdepew
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ladder13
In a few years will we see there have been a higher percentage of black C7 Corvettes sold than at any point in history because black helps hide some of the C7 rear ugliness?

Last edited by kdepew; 08-20-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Shhhhh Don't Tell GM but I Got A Chance To Drive A C7 Yesterday...