C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13 GS possible tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Z_Monzter
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 13 GS possible tranny issue

I've had my 13 GS for two weeks now and only have 300 mi in it. Last week I noticed that the transmission started to get notchy. First week was super smooth. I know the shift link goes directly into the tranny and is not going to feel as smooth as a cable transmission but I believe something is not right.

At times it will give me a hard time going to 2nd and also reverse. I called the local dealership and I will bring it in next week to be checked.

Anybody experience this? Any advice or input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edwin
Old 08-17-2013, 04:32 PM
retaf87
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My '13 base coupe has 700 miles on it and I am also having issues when shifting from 1st to 2nd but no probs downshifting.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:44 PM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I have an 05 6 speed and when I first got the car I felt like I had to work overtime to go from 1-2 and 2-3. I have driven sticks my whole life and it took me a while to get the shift angles right. Also, the ergo slanted shift **** seemed strange to me at first.

I think part of the challenge with the Corvette gear box is that it is very precise and not too much play in the shift gates. Shifting my Corvette was further complicated because I shift by ear most of the time and I could hardly hear the engine.

After awhile I got use to the tight gates, shift ****, skip shift, and tone of the car it was no problem.

Since then I have change the exhaust, so I can shift by ear easier, installed a MGW shifter, replaced the ergo shift ball with a round one, and eliminated the skip shift. Now everything is right with the world and I shift with little to no effort.

Here is my set up below.

Last edited by JKbride; 08-17-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Z_Monzter
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jump Master

What is the benefit MGW shifter? My C6 already has close ratio shifter?

I'll keep you all posted after I check with the dealership.

Originally Posted by JKbride
I have an 05 6 speed and when I first got the car I felt like I had to work overtime to go from 1-2 and 2-3. I have driven sticks my whole life and it took me a while to get the shift angles right. Also, the ergo slanted shift **** seemed strange to me at first.

I think part of the challenge with the Corvette gear box is that it is very precise and not too much play in the shift gates. Shifting my Corvette was further complicated because I shift by ear most of the time and I could hardly hear the engine.

After awhile I got use to the tight gates, shift ****, skip shift, and tone of the car it was no problem.

Since then I have change the exhaust, so I can shift by ear easier, installed a MGW shifter, replaced the ergo shift ball with a round one, and eliminated the skip shift. Now everything is right with the world and I shift with little to no effort.

Here is my set up below.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:24 PM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

The MGW is a high quality shifter assembly with a short throw shaft. Everyone who has one, including myself, swear by them.

Go here for more info: http://mgwltd.com/

Last edited by JKbride; 08-18-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:21 PM
mAydAy121
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Same thing with my new GS. 3 weeks old, 750 miles.

Feels like its a clutch slave or master going out.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:49 PM
09LS3
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the z51 version of the M6 and have the same issue shifting into second when cold. Once everything is up to temp it shifts normally. I do not think this an uncommon problem. My car is an 09, with over 20 k on it; and aside from this quirk the the transmission performs flawlessly. When first starting out I generally shift from first to third.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:51 PM
retaf87
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not have this issue with my 06 and pretty sure it's not the clutch slave or master as only happens when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I'm going to give a few more tries and if issue does not improve I will take it to dealer.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

Hey Z,

Keep me posted on your concerns and what you decide to do. If you take it in please let me know!

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Get notified of new replies

To 13 GS possible tranny issue

Quick Reply: 13 GS possible tranny issue