C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low mileage owners, question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:31 AM
9UnderPar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AimHigh
9k since march....mines a DD.
I am like you. Can drive mine from April-October. In that time I will put between 12-15,000 a year on it. I just rolled over 85,000 last week.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:38 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm trying to rack up some miles on my new GS. Have 1600 now after 4 months of ownership.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:44 AM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

I bought my 2008 1/2012 with 3000 miles on it, did some light mods and put 7000 miles on it last year. Has right at 10,500 on it now and drive it when I can as long as the weather is nice out.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Sargevette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

About 2K a year or so. Just for fun times and stress relief.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:08 PM
JohnAE455
Racer

When I traded my 2002 coupe last year it had 18,000 miles but was my DD from Oct. 2001 till Mar. 2005. My wife and I decided that when we pruchased a house we would not live more then 10 miles from our jobs. We ended up with a house less then 7 miles for me and about 5 for her so I didn't put a lot of miles on the vette driving to work. After I retired I spend 6 months in one house and 6 months at another, about 1200 miles apart. The vette stays at the beach during the summer so no mileage for 6 months a year from 2005 till 2012. Also, after I retired I don't drive unless I have somewhere to go. There have been more then a few times that I don't drive anything for more then a week and when I do I combine trips so I get everything done with one trip. I have never just gone out for a drive. I know people are different but that is why none of my cars are high mileage. When in his 80's my father could put 50,000+ miles a year on his Caddies and never go anywhere.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:19 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowzron
I am super curious now. Can you elaborate a little bit why you bought your z then dont drive it. I read your post three times and it seems you are upset at his post. You are 100 precent right that if you dont want to drive it you dont have to, but it seems your mad about something.

[Vent On]

No Z just a 3LT base convertible.

I bought my car because I've always wanted a vette in the stable. I love driving it, no issues there, I'm just sensative on these mothly posts where folks who drive theirs daily or at least frequently assume all owners should do that and in some of the past posts we who drive ours less are critcized for that and folks just don't understand the hundreds of reasons why we don't drive them. I'm all for the posts that say I love my vette, I drive it a lot period..... Great, I agree I love my vette too. it's the foks that have to add "I just can't understand why you guys with low miles on your vettes don't drive them". Why does that matter is my only point?

Am I mad aout something?... no I'm not mad. Am I sensative to belonging to a subset of vette owners who is continuously looked down upon because we don't drive our vettes as much as others think we should?.... heck yeah. It's no one elses business but mine.

Did I have intentions of driving my vette a lot when I bought it?.... not really. Am I making monthly payments on a car I'm not driving?.... nope paid in cash, but if i ws paying on it would it still be anyone else's business?

Like I noted, each person who doesn't drive their vette a lot has their own reasoning (good reasoning) and it is short sided and in some cases narrow minded for others to think just because they drive theirs a lot that the vette ecosystem should fit into their line of thinking or get looked at in a negative manner.

My situation is simple too busy & too many toys......I have my 08 3LT vert, 5 Mustangs (65 coupe, 66 GT vert, 67 vert , 68 coupe & 69 vert), 5 very on the go kids kids ranging from 6 to 16, I literally work 75 hours a week in the high tech industry, I travel at least every 4-6 weeks for business and weekends are filled with family / kids sporting activities, honey do lists, yard work, a little tinkering on toys and "if" (and that's a huge if) time is left in my week then I drive one of my cars (may not be the vette).

Why are folks so concerned with those of us who do not regularly drive our cars anyway? Is it a jealously thing? It shouldn't matter but for some reason we get the negative tags on this forum. You don't hear us starting threads that are asking why people drive their vettes so much and rack up thousands of miles. Know why?...... we don't care, the important part is your happy with your vette using it the way you choose. I'm happy for the folks who drive their vette, I also understand why people don't drive their vettes, but regardless it's not my place to comment either way.

The other arguement that is annoying and is one that is in folks' mids and occasional where strings like this lead to and that is the arguement of why then did you by a $60+K car if you're not going to drive it? My response to that is why do people buy 2nd homes they rarely use, or RVs they may not use regularly, or artwork worth thusands or tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to be just be hung on a wall? Or why do cars owners (all makes) stick thousands of dollars into their vehicles modding them when they will never get their investment back? All the same line of thinking. Again, Why is that anyone's business but the person who is spending the money? it should not matter to anyone.

[Vent Off]

Last edited by IDSRVIT; 08-15-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I just purchased my 427 Vert last week....mine is my DD and my one and only car. I spent too many years with garage queen Corvettes looking pretty in the garage while making mortgage type car payments. Now that I am retired and living in the South, I can drive a Corvette all year long. My car is beautiful to look at, but much much better behind the wheel on the open road! Corvettes are made to be driven...too many use these cars as a 1:1 scale model in their garage! Not knocking these people, as I was one of them! To each their own!

Last edited by Supersonic 427; 08-15-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT
[Vent On]

I bought my car because I've always wanted a vette in the stable. I love driving it, no issues there, I'm just sensative on these mothly posts where folks who drive theirs daily or at least frequently assume all owners should do that and in some of the past posts we who drive ours less are critcized for that and folks just don't understand the hundreds of reasons why we don't drive them. I'm all for the posts that say I love my vette, I drive it a lot period..... Great, I agree I love my vette too. it's the foks that have to add "I just can't understand why you guys with low miles on your vettes don't drive them". Why does that matter is my only point?

Am I mad aout something?... no I'm not mad. Am I sensative to belonging to a subset of vette owners who is continuously looked down upon because we don't drive our vettes as much as others think we should?.... heck yeah. It's no one elses business but mine.

Did I have intentions of driving my vette a lot when I bought it?.... not really. Am I making monthly payments on a car I'm not driving?.... nope paid in cash, but if i ws paying on it would it still be anyone else's business?

Like I noted, each person who doesn't drive their vette a lot has their own reasoning (good reasoning) and it is short sided and in some cases narrow minded for others to think just because they drive theirs a lot that the vette ecosystem should fit into their line of thinking or get looked at in a negative manner.

My situation is simple too busy & too many toys......I have my 08 3LT vert, 5 Mustangs (65 coupe, 66 GT vert, 67 vert , 68 coupe & 69 vert), 5 very on the go kids kids ranging from 6 to 16, I literally work 75 hours a week in the high tech industry, I travel at least every 4-6 weeks for business and weekends are filled with family / kids sporting activities, honey do lists, yard work, a little tinkering on toys and "if" (and that's a huge if) time is left in my week then I drive one of my cars (may not be the vette).

Why are folks so concerned with those of us who do not regularly drive our cars anyway? Is it a jealously thing? It shouldn't matter but for some reason we get the negative tags on this forum. You don't hear us starting threads that are asking why people drive their vettes so much and rack up thousands of miles. Know why?...... we don't care, the important part is your happy with your vette using it the way you choose. I'm happy for the folks who drive their vette, I also understand why people don't drive their vettes, but regardless it's not my place to comment either way.

The other arguement that is annoying and is one that is in folks' mids and occasional where strings like this lead to and that is the arguement of why then did you by a $60+K car if you're not going to drive it? My response to that is why do people buy 2nd homes they rarely use, or RVs they may not use regularly, or artwork worth thusands or tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to be just be hung on a wall? Or why do cars owners (all makes) stick thousands of dollars into their vehicles modding them when they will never get their investment back? All the same line of thinking. Again, Why is that anyone's business but the person who is spending the money? it should not matter to anyone.

[Vent Off]
Different strokes for different folks. My best friend has 3 Corvettes and I literally put more miles on my bicycle than he does on all 3 of his Vettes! We all enjoy these cars in different ways!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:01 PM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
For me it seems each consecutive year I drive mine a little less. I have only put on about 1500 miles this year so far. Like you, after I first got mine I couldn't drive it enough, but after I have driven the same roads a thousand times it gets a little boring.
SUPERCHARGE IT !!!... guarantee those roads NEVER get boring again!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:01 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 924 Likes on 467 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Simple answer: Not all of us have, or had, jobs that required driving to and sitting in meetings. For many, driving a Corvette to work is not practical and in my case, would have been just asking for trouble.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:15 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The great thing about a Corvette is that everyone has options on how to enjoy it.

Some show it. Some may cruise it. Some use as a daily driver. Others track it.

It's all good. I like to hear how others use their car. That's what's great about the forum.

I think that we can all agree that: It's your car; enjoy it your way.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:39 PM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

My job is a huge reason to not drive mine as well, we sit between two oil field companies and their gravel lots. You drive a car into work here and you will come out 8 hours later with a nice layer of gravel dust on it.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:42 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
Different strokes for different folks. My best friend has 3 Corvettes and I literally put more miles on my bicycle than he does on all 3 of his Vettes! We all enjoy these cars in different ways!
Amen
Old 08-15-2013, 02:48 PM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Drove 3 Million miles in thirty five yrs. Retired, Had this vette for two years!
371 mi. It's My Car and I'm tired of the Aholes on the Highways
Now there's a Rant (wax on, wax off)
Old 08-15-2013, 04:07 PM
APACHEDR1V3R
Instructor

[Vent On]

[Vent Off]
It sounds like only opinions that are positive or of like kind are acceptable, but not negative or differing ones. Your sensitivities get rattled when someone asks why, or shows dislike for others' choices. It sounds like a bunch of PC nonsense.

Opinions, explanations, and the option to share them or not, are a normal part of voluntary social interaction. If you don't want to share or explain your own, then don't. If you feel intruded upon or degraded into a subset over something this insignificant, you've got validation issues.

I converse and post here to share with others; to learn from them more so. If I make a few friends along the way, bonus for me.

Drive(legally) or mod up in whatever fashion suits you. I can still ask why.

OT, I've driven 1600 miles in my GS over the last 2 months but in Texas, I have thru the end of the year yet.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:49 PM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 334 Likes on 195 Posts

[Vent On]

[Vent Off]
Ok, its all good, if you dont wanna drive it thats cool. No big deal.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:54 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Originally Posted by APACHEDR1V3R
It sounds like only opinions that are positive or of like kind are acceptable, but not negative or differing ones. Your sensitivities get rattled when someone asks why, or shows dislike for others' choices. It sounds like a bunch of PC nonsense.

Opinions, explanations, and the option to share them or not, are a normal part of voluntary social interaction. If you don't want to share or explain your own, then don't. If you feel intruded upon or degraded into a subset over something this insignificant, you've got validation issues.

I converse and post here to share with others; to learn from them more so. If I make a few friends along the way, bonus for me.

Drive(legally) or mod up in whatever fashion suits you. I can still ask why.

OT, I've driven 1600 miles in my GS over the last 2 months but in Texas, I have thru the end of the year yet.
Could be a bunch of PC nonsense I suppose...... on the other hand maybe not. Difference of view point I guess which is "a normal part of voluntary social interaction" as you put it.

The only validation issue I have is wondering why people care what I do with my personal property and why it matters to them. Seems fitting if they can ask why we don't drive our cars I can ask why they care doesn't it?

Enjoy your vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Low mileage owners, question?

Old 08-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

For me it seems each consecutive year I drive mine a little less. I have only put on about 1500 miles this year so far. Like you, after I first got mine I couldn't drive it enough, but after I have driven the same roads a thousand times it gets a little boring.
You post here more than most people and drive your Vette less than most people here.

Yes, I kid.

I don't care how much or little anyone else drives their Vette or any other car. You paid for it, do whatever you want with it.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 PM
APACHEDR1V3R
Instructor

Could be a bunch of PC nonsense I suppose...... on the other hand maybe not. Difference of view point I guess which is "a normal part of voluntary social interaction" as you put it.

The only validation issue I have is wondering why people care what I do with my personal property and why it matters to them. Seems fitting if they can ask why we don't drive our cars I can ask why they care doesn't it?

Enjoy your vette.
Generally, when I ask why, I'm looking to gain insight, not to pass judgement. I tend to take others questions in the same manner. (we see in others what we see in ourselves)

And thanks, I'm enjoying my Vette; can't get enough of it unless I'm in the air, or on my bikes. Hope you enjoy yours as well.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

You don't drive enough to deserve a Corvette.

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
I've got almost 2000 miles on my 427 since the middle of May. Next month I plan to dive it from Indiana to Florida for a week. I love driving it.
Please start a thread about your road trip. Record mileage, gas, prices, motel stops, number of 'vette waves, and hookers along the way.

Originally Posted by yellowzron
come on guys they are just cars. This is my first one and I love it. I am very lucky to own one in this tough economy. I worked hard to get it and I enjoy it almost every day. I bought the car with 4223 miles and drive it all the time. I will be proud the day I hit 100k on it. If you chose to not drive it I understand but the car was made to be driven and enjoyed. The more I drive mine the more I love it.
You are an abuser, a 100,000 mile goal is obscene.

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
600,000+ thousand miles in Corvettes over the past 23 years...

Two months ago this coming Friday (8/16/13) I bought a Ferrari and now have 5,000 miles on it...

...drove both it AND the Vette today.... life's too short to not drive your cars.
You should own a Hummer, not a Corvette, 600k on Corvettes should be a class B felony. You're ruining a tradition.

This is like a monthly topic..... why does it matter to you? Really, seriously, why does it matter how much people drive or don't drive their cars.
Ooooh, sacroligious! Of course it matters....it absolutely matters. These forums, except for an occasional interruption for intelligent conversation, represent a bastion of expression for the bored, to express useless opinions.

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
You, aww man, your one of he worst kinds of 'vette *****. You buy/sell/trade these beautiful machines on a whim. You have no regard for their feelings! Don't deny it you've had a lot of Corvettes, only to discard them!!!

Originally Posted by robertaj
SUPERCHARGE IT !!!... guarantee those roads NEVER get boring again!
Why do you need all that horse power? You don't, that's ridiculous. While millions of people struggle to get by every day on too little horse power, you are a gluten with too much! Shame on you!

Originally Posted by APACHEDR1V3R
....OT, I've driven 1600 miles in my GS over the last 2 months but in Texas, I have thru the end of the year yet.
Who cares, I mean really, who???

Quick Reply: Low mileage owners, question?