C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 Coupe Clicking in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM
MassaRusty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 12 Coupe Clicking in steering wheel

I have a 12 Coupe that has developed a clicking in the steering wheel when I turn it slightly back and forth. It doesn't seem to do it before being warmed up. I can't notice it above 30mph, but it is pretty evident at lower speeds and when stopped. The car only has 7000 miles, so I will take it to the dealership for this but I would like to have an idea of what it might be before I go. Has anyone else had this problem in a relatively new car? I found one thread on the issue, but it didn't have a solution or identify a specific issue to fix.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:23 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I remember a couple discussions years ago but nothing in the last few years.

I think it was related to something amiss with the clockspring in the column but I'm not sure.

Anyway, it shouldn't be a big deal whatever it is.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:05 PM
WHealy
Advanced

I think I have the same issue you are describing. I found this post previously when tiring to see if anyone else has had this issue. It points out the TSB which was really a don't do this fix because it doesn't work, but you can see there were a variety of fixes including new rack and pinion. I plan to address my in the winter!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:09 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,450 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Steering rack problems have been associated with that symptom. Probably worth getting it checked out.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MassaRusty
I have a 12 Coupe that has developed a clicking in the steering wheel when I turn it slightly back and forth. It doesn't seem to do it before being warmed up. I can't notice it above 30mph, but it is pretty evident at lower speeds and when stopped. The car only has 7000 miles, so I will take it to the dealership for this but I would like to have an idea of what it might be before I go. Has anyone else had this problem in a relatively new car? I found one thread on the issue, but it didn't have a solution or identify a specific issue to fix.

Thanks.
I can tell you exactly what it is. Its your rack and pinion and don't let anybody tell you any different. Its a known problem in the '12 and '13 model years and there have been numerous threads on it. My brand new '13 GS came with it from the factory and I had to have it replaced with 23 miles on the clock! I had the exact same symptoms you do but be prepared. You will get a GM rebuilt rack, not brand new. That is policy don't even argue you will waste your breath. Think how I felt in a brand new car as I was about to drive out of the service area after my new car prep and had to have rebuilt part already in my brand new car!

Last edited by red2012; 08-14-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:33 PM
pmartjr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted on this back in April with the same problem on my 427 vert. It is the steering gear, not the rack and pinion. Your dealer should have the info concerning this and if they don't, PM me and I will send you the service notice that my dealer gave me. Mine has not had a problem since the fix.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:38 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pmartjr
I posted on this back in April with the same problem on my 427 vert. It is the steering gear, not the rack and pinion. Your dealer should have the info concerning this and if they don't, PM me and I will send you the service notice that my dealer gave me. Mine has not had a problem since the fix.
The steering gear is the rack and pinion just another name for it.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 PM
pmartjr
Racer

Originally Posted by red2012
The steering gear is the rack and pinion just another name for it.
Can't disagree with this but that is not how it is listed on the service notice from Chevrolet. I prefer to use their description to eliminate any confusion with the service department.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:18 PM
JTCampos
Intermediate

I believe I may have this problem as well, it's a new 13' grandsport that I just picked up last weekend at Boardwalk Chevrolet. On the other hand I feel like I could just be exaggerating about it so I went and took a quick video. So if anyone could have a look and tell me if it is similar or if I'm just crazy it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: For some wierd reason the sound quality isn't as good on YouTube as my phone and it sounds like there's a bird in the background haha. If I need to take a new video I will.

Last edited by JTCampos; 08-14-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JTCampos
I believe I may have this problem as well, it's a new 13' grandsport that I just picked up last weekend at Boardwalk Chevrolet. On the other hand I feel like I could just be exaggerating about it so I went and took a quick video. So if anyone could have a look and tell me if it is similar or if I'm just crazy it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: For some wierd reason the sound quality isn't as good on YouTube as my phone and it sounds like there's a bird in the background haha. If I need to take a new video I will.

http://youtu.be/5bw8Lyxiq_8
That just sounds like normal tire thumping. When you get the dreaded clicking in the steering wheel like I had or like the op describes you actually feel a click, click,click in the center position when you move the wheel left or right from the center position.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 PM
dozing4dollars
Advanced

My 2012 Coupe had the exact same symptoms with about 2,300 miles on it. The steering gear was replaced last fall and so far, no repeat issues.

According to my info, late 2012 and early 2013 models were affected. As already noted, you will probably receive a remanufactured steering gear. My servicing dealer had the part brought in overnight and I picked up my car the next afternoon. I also had them do a PFADT Street Alignment on it at the same time.

Hope your repair goes as smooth as mine.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:02 PM
JTCampos
Intermediate

That just sounds like normal tire thumping. When you get the dreaded clicking in the steering wheel like I had or like the op describes you actually feel a click, click,click in the center position when you move the wheel left or right from the center position.
Thank you for input. I do feel the click click even more so when warmed up as the op stated. I feel the video doesn't accurately represent it, it's also more pronounced when the engine is started and power steering is actually present then. Ill try and get another video soon. In person it definitely doesn't just sound like tires. Not accusing you at all, that video just flat out sucks.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:07 PM
pmartjr
Racer

I agree with this as it is difficult to tell from your video, but as described in this post, you will feel a distinctive click going right or left off the center position. You do not need to have the car turned off to feel this. In fact, I think it was more noticeable with the engine on and the power steering in operation. There is some kind of magnet in the steering gear assembly that has come loose and they have no way of reattaching it from what I was told. Hence, the steering gear replacement.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:10 PM
JTCampos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pmartjr
I agree with this as it is difficult to tell from your video, but as described in this post, you will feel a distinctive click going right or left off the center position. You do not need to have the car turned off to feel this. In fact, I think it was more noticeable with the engine on and the power steering in operation. There is some kind of magnet in the steering gear assembly that has come loose and they have no way of reattaching it from what I was told. Hence, the steering gear replacement.
Yeah that's what I was getting at, the car was off in the video and I was stating if it was on it is more noticeable. Thank you for your more detailed description. Ill get a better video to replace my older video if there is in fact a problem so anyone else with the issue could have a good reference point.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:15 PM
red2012
Safety Car

The dead give away is the the clicking feel more than any sound. You cannot mistake that feel. It is very unique and you will know it when you feel it. There is no mistaking it.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:18 PM
JTCampos
Intermediate

The dead give away is the the clicking feel more than any sound. You cannot mistake that feel. It is very unique and you will know it when you feel it. There is no mistaking it.
Ok awesome, that's about all I need to know then thanks. About 99% sure it going on in my car. Also sorry to the OP for effectively stealing your thread, hopefully some of their info helped you out as well.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:33 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dozing4dollars
According to my info, late 2012 and early 2013 models were affected.
Hope you're right . Is there any kind of TSB or something official somebody can post? Heard a 'clank' twice on my '12 GS built on 9/15/11 when turning the steering wheel from center while backing up during a mountain trip, but haven't heard it again. And took the car to an overnight trip last weekend where I beat on it a lot harder, and no issues. No noises whatsoever when turning the steering wheel left and right from center rapidly, so at least I don't have the issue yet at 5K miles (knock on wood ).

Get notified of new replies

To 12 Coupe Clicking in steering wheel

Old 08-15-2013, 07:31 AM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

Take it in. most likely they will replace the rack. Mine was replaced at 400 miles on my 2011
Old 08-15-2013, 07:52 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Is this something that developes over time or is it from new?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 AM
MassaRusty
Racer

Thanks for all the replies. I will get this to the dealership soon. It is nice to hear that others have actually had it fixed.

Quick Reply: 12 Coupe Clicking in steering wheel